BBC News - "Have Jedis created a new religion?"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166836 by

Revan Falton wrote: Just to inform you there is a difference between a job interview, and personal religious beliefs. An employer can not discriminate against you based upon, race, sex, age, religious beliefs, etc upon highering. The only thing they can judge you upon during your interview is your qualifications, your attitude, and honestly the vibe they get from you. Personal life and work life are separate entities. Yes, dress up for your interview, put on your best face to get the job, because you need the job. However, do you need the acceptance of everyone for your personal life? No. All you are doing is living your life the best way you see fit.

:) The point of my post was to give examples of professionalism. Would you of rather I point out that most of your common churches and places of spiritual retreats require their members to dress formally. Monk's wear monk robes, Christians wears suite/ties and women nice, clean dresses. The Mormons (LDS) Even require a special set of garments in order to enter into portions of their temples in order to "Cleanse" the body and enter with clear, spiritual minds.

This is no different than Dressing up for a Job or to represent a business....Just as it is no different to "Dress Up" your words in a professional manner of representation.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166837 by

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Revan Falton wrote: Just to inform you there is a difference between a job interview, and personal religious beliefs. An employer can not discriminate against you based upon, race, sex, age, religious beliefs, etc upon highering. The only thing they can judge you upon during your interview is your qualifications, your attitude, and honestly the vibe they get from you. Personal life and work life are separate entities. Yes, dress up for your interview, put on your best face to get the job, because you need the job. However, do you need the acceptance of everyone for your personal life? No. All you are doing is living your life the best way you see fit.

:) The point of my post was to give examples of professionalism. Would you of rather I point out that most of your common churches and places of spiritual retreats require their members to dress formally. Monk's wear monk robes, Christians wears suite/ties and women nice, clean dresses. The Mormons (LDS) Even require a special set of garments in order to enter into portions of their temples in order to "Cleanse" the body and enter with clear, spiritual minds.

This is no different than Dressing up for a Job or to represent a business....Just as it is no different to "Dress Up" your words in a professional manner of representation.

I don't know what Christian churches you have attended but that is not the case. There is no dress code at all to attend a religious service. This is coming from a person who has been a christian for most of his life.

Now the Mormons, yes they do require you to wear these garments. However, that is their choice to say to be part of our religion you must wear this. Just like it is our choice to say this is not a site to be used to role play. Not necessarily to say people who role-play are not welcomed. If a person doesn't like that, there's the door. Just like for the Mormons. If you don't want to wear then garments, then hey, you can leave the religion. Pretty simple to understand, yes? :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #166840 by

Revan Falton wrote: Pretty simple to understand, yes? :)

Heh...Indeed it is. As was the point and purposes of my post's, including my suggestion on the disclaimer. but...Whatever right? Fuck whoever disagree and shrug shoulders of uncaring because we are obviously the best and have no room for improvement because...fuck it. >_>

Anyways. I am off for the day. Thank you for the conversation :)

*bows*
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .

More
9 years 5 months ago #166841 by rugadd
I am both a roleplayer and someone who incorporates some of the mythology in my personal practice. When I came to this page I was looking for real Jedi. I found them. I didn't find the disclaimer to be offensive, defensive or anything like that. It was informative. Nothing less, nothing more.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Tarran

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166842 by

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Revan Falton wrote: Pretty simple to understand, yes? :)

Heh...Indeed it is. As was the point and purposes of my post's, including my suggestion on the disclaimer. but...Whatever right? Fuck whoever disagree and shrug shoulders of uncaring because we are obviously the best and have no room for improvement because...fuck it. >_>

Anyways. I am off for the day. Thank you for the conversation :)

*bows*

Kitsu Tails wrote: This is no different than Dressing up for a Job or to represent a business....Just as it is no different to "Dress Up" your words in a professional manner of representation.

Have a good day. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166846 by
Moving on now back to the original topic. I thought the article was great, and glad to see our name getting out there. I wonder if there will ever be a similar article in Texas, since that state was were the Order was founded.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166859 by
Great article! I especially like the question the writer asks at the end; "at what point does a belief system become a religion?" We have had that discussion many times here, and he treated it respectfully and not in an offhand way, as so many who write about Jediism do.

As to the derailed part of this thread, I have no problem with the disclaimer on the front page. When I first came here, it made me aware that this was a real temple and not a role-playing site. There is a large 501st presence in my area, so I get to see them in action from time to time, and even though I love all the costumes, I was not looking for that, and I got that confirmation right up front!

I can tell you that the Westburo Baptist church has given all baptists a bad name. I know many who have to qualify there statement and say "no, not that type of baptist church", so I don't think that it is unprecedented.

More
9 years 5 months ago #166864 by Zenchi

Proteus wrote:
I imagine we take off the disclaimer..

Roleplayers slowly begin populating TOTJO...

As if they haven't already?? :whistle:

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 5 months ago #166872 by ren

Revan Falton wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:

I don't know what Christian churches you have attended but that is not the case. There is no dress code at all to attend a religious service. This is coming from a person who has been a christian for most of his life.

I believe "corinthians" in the bible deals with appropriate appearance and dress code, though it's not just for church.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #183772 by
Hi all :)

I am the Beth Singler quoted in the article, and I am glad to see that the bits by Singler were okay according to one poster here :D I also have a short interview coming up in a mini-documentary on the BBC soon - which I hope will also clarify some similar points - which I think Akkarin was also involved in.

I have a request. I am writing a paper on Jediism for the International Association for the History of Religions (IAHR) conference in Erfurt, Germany, in August and I wondered if anyone would be willing to talk to me for it? The subject is changes in the face of alterations in the Star Wars universe (inc. Disney buyout, Midi-Chlorians, the new films, and the reduction in size of the canon universe). But part of what I want to explore is the overall impact of the fictional world on the real world religion, even if that impact is minimal or decreasing in importance. I know that the link between the two is sometimes over stated, and some of this thread has backed up that view for me. So this is a chance to express that, and there will most likely be a publication off of the back of the research paper. I can't guarantee more press coverage as academic conferences don't get that much attention...

You can reply here, PM me, or my e-mail is bvw at cam dot ac dot uk. And you can be as anonymous as you like, just let me know.

Beth Singler
PhD Candidate
University of Cambridge