BBC News - "Have Jedis created a new religion?"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166489 by

Tarran wrote: Like, if someone were needed to appear in court, say, to defend someone - and if the defender were Jedi - wearing robes in that context is just... *blatantly* uncool... I mean, yeah, I remember the bit about someone in a jury seat wearing her Starfleet Uniform - but that was unrelated (not a real faith, and selfishly making it all about *her*), though many things could be said on both sides.

Even in Fiction Jedi saught to blend in with their environment. Not stand out. In fiction Jedi Robes were quite similar to traveler clothes so in that setting it suited their purpose to blend in.

Here in modern times a suite and Tie is much more appropriate.

Does not mean we need to separate from fiction ;) Just need to learn proper Moderation and Application of our practices.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #166496 by Tarran
Good point!

And yep, like I mentioned, the fiction should be ambraced... like as a learning/teaching resource (like parables) for our faith, for instance :D There's a lot of treasurable gems within it, I think - beyond that, keeping in mind the statements on the home page is mostly what's important ;)

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Tarran.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #166594 by steamboat28
Apparently, the article caught the attention of Sifu Kisu (martial arts consultant for Avatar: the Last Airbender) as well, so I started a bit of conversation .
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166595 by
"I have shoes older than that….."

Haha! That's great :laugh:

I really need to finish my history article concerning Jedi. I got quite a bit of history lore on it....but there is so much of it and so little of the past founders willing to help.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 5 months ago #166659 by ren

Kitsu Tails wrote:

ren wrote: It certainly is a great improvement compared to what they normally publish.

hehe you mean like this one?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1204829.stm

Yes. But also everything else they publish :P though at least BBC bias is reasonably predictable. It's bad journalism, not private lobby propaganda.

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Tarran wrote: After all, the fandom is no evil thing in and of itself, but it is the image of the cosplaying movie fan which is the bane of our striving to maintain any apparent validity to claim seriousness in our image as sincere and serious devotees to what we follow and represent.

I would completely dissagree. People look at the fandom as fakes and people playing about with no real purpose. If you think this...then you really do not know or understand the heart of those who are "Fans"

Look at the 501st and the Rebel Legeon's - Both of which takes the "Fandom" of star wars the greatest of levels and have not only served the offline charitable community more than ANY of the online religious movements can stake claim to. But they have inspired millions to not be fearful of being who they are.

I am a Fan. I am a Role Player. I wear Costumes. And I want to construct my own lightsaber. All of these are who I am and I enjoy it very very much......Does it make me any less a Jedi? :dry:

I wonder if christian priests who are fans of star wars go to church wearing their cutom-built vader suit?
There is a time and place for things, and cosplayers can go to cosplay events, even as you point out organize large charity events. The 501st's target market are kids. I never went through religious education as a child, however my understanding is that people who did thought it sucked. As such I wouldn't send a Jediist to talk to teach a kid dying from leukemia about the Force, what I'd do (and actually did on this very day), is give them something to cheer them up (in my case a massive "frozen"-inspired cake)

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Proteus, Amaya, Edan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166663 by

ren wrote: what I'd do (and actually did on this very day), is give them something to cheer them up (in my case a massive "frozen"-inspired cake)

Yum! *Drools*

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #166664 by Proteus

ren wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:

ren wrote: It certainly is a great improvement compared to what they normally publish.

hehe you mean like this one?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1204829.stm

Yes. But also everything else they publish :P though at least BBC bias is reasonably predictable. It's bad journalism, not private lobby propaganda.

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Tarran wrote: After all, the fandom is no evil thing in and of itself, but it is the image of the cosplaying movie fan which is the bane of our striving to maintain any apparent validity to claim seriousness in our image as sincere and serious devotees to what we follow and represent.

I would completely dissagree. People look at the fandom as fakes and people playing about with no real purpose. If you think this...then you really do not know or understand the heart of those who are "Fans"

Look at the 501st and the Rebel Legeon's - Both of which takes the "Fandom" of star wars the greatest of levels and have not only served the offline charitable community more than ANY of the online religious movements can stake claim to. But they have inspired millions to not be fearful of being who they are.

I am a Fan. I am a Role Player. I wear Costumes. And I want to construct my own lightsaber. All of these are who I am and I enjoy it very very much......Does it make me any less a Jedi? :dry:

I wonder if christian priests who are fans of star wars go to church wearing their cutom-built vader suit?
There is a time and place for things, and cosplayers can go to cosplay events, even as you point out organize large charity events. The 501st's target market are kids. I never went through religious education as a child, however my understanding is that people who did thought it sucked. As such I wouldn't send a Jediist to talk to teach a kid dying from leukemia about the Force, what I'd do (and actually did on this very day), is give them something to cheer them up (in my case a massive "frozen"-inspired cake)

And you didn't have to cosplay at all to do that I assume. :)

That's all nice and everything but... I'm not sure if it should be put in a way that sounds like a competition of "who's got the most charity case points". Might come off a bit dividing toward the community maybe. After all, does anybody need to dress up in a costume to inspire someone to not be fearful of being who they are? And how do you know how many non-cosplaying Jedi have done the same kinds of things? For all we know, the 501st and Rebel Legion could be a trivial percentage of a whole who brings the same level of value, inspiration, and contribution to local communities.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #166667 by steamboat28

Proteus wrote: That's all nice and everything but... I'm not sure if it should be put in a way that sounds like a competition of "who's got the most charity case points". Might come off a bit dividing toward the community maybe. After all, does anybody need to dress up in a costume to inspire someone to not be fearful of being who they are? And how do you know how many non-cosplaying Jedi have done the same kinds of things? For all we know, the 501st and Rebel Legion could be a trivial percentage of a whole who brings the same level of value, inspiration, and contribution to local communities..

I could (and often am) be mistaken, but I believe the tone behind those statements were that people flock to places where the 501st are because their cosplay makes them recognizable and "cool", and it's one of their best ways to spread information on the charities they work with.

In all honesty, I've seen the 501st (and one of their splinter groups, now independent) at work, and if I had to choose between giving my attention to those folks in cool costumes and our style of Jedi, even knowing what I know about how helpful and lovely we are, I'd go visit them. To me, that's proof that the costumes aren't the problem at all. I think it's our attitudes whilst wearing them.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus

More
9 years 5 months ago #166670 by steamboat28
Sorry for this, I don't normally double post, but I just feel the need to clarify my position slightly.

I don't think that "real Jedi" and "cosplay Jedi" needs to be a hard, black-and-white, line. I think there are plenty of opportunities for folks to be both, even in public, even at the same time. When you're visible in the way the 501st or the Rebel Legion or KAG or Starfleet or whoever are, you can get into a lot more interesting positions to help than you might otherwise. I've been asked to do things in costume or in certain outfits that I'd never have been asked into in street clothes. Perfect strangers made me a mascot yesterday because I chose to wear my clan tartan instead of my blue jeans, and in my priest's robes it's easier for people to feel safe enough to ask for help than if you're in a pair of bermuda shorts.

I just don't want to see us give up that chance because we have such a desire to be taken "seriously."

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166672 by

Proteus wrote: That's all nice and everything but... I'm not sure if it should be put in a way that sounds like a competition of "who's got the most charity case points". Might come off a bit dividing toward the community maybe. After all, does anybody need to dress up in a costume to inspire someone to not be fearful of being who they are? And how do you know how many non-cosplaying Jedi have done the same kinds of things? For all we know, the 501st and Rebel Legion could be a trivial percentage of a whole who brings the same level of value, inspiration, and contribution to local communities.

I think...You are thinking/looking into my words far too much.

I made my statment to make a point. And that point was a rather simple one.....Which was: Dressing up, Being Real, Fiction, Fact.....It all can Coexist with eachother without any scorn and disclaimers purposefully stating that "We are not one of them" Both Aspects has their time and place in the whole grand picture and should not be displaced because we want to be "Real"

You don't want to dress up? Cool. Thats fine....I wont judge you if you don't judge me. Its is simply called "Mutual Respect"

When I read the disclaimer I physically cringe because it makes me feel like I am not welcome because this temple finds my Fictional inspirations "Not Real Enough." It may not be what it means....But it is how it feels.