• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago #183846 by RyuJin
to rescue this thread from derailment by lightsaber i've started this:

http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/109923-the-new-saber-designs-what-do-you-think#183845

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #183866 by Adder

BVLSingler wrote: The subject is changes in the face of alterations in the Star Wars universe (inc. Disney buyout, Midi-Chlorians, the new films, and the reduction in size of the canon universe). But part of what I want to explore is the overall impact of the fictional world on the real world religion, even if that impact is minimal or decreasing in importance.
http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/jedi-in-the-news/108378-bbc-news-have-jedis-created-a-new-religion?start=80#183772

I don't really follow the Star Wars Universe as a component of my Jedi path, but I do have an interest in the Star Wars Universe because of my interest in science fiction and being a Star Wars fan. So I appraise Star Wars content like I do all other content - looking for good ideas or systems of synthesis, to determine if anything has benefit for my spiritual Jedi path.

But it didn't start that way. I don't mean to imply that I am a Jedi because I appraised spiritual content and that the Jedi had the most useful opportunities, like a methodical program :lol:
Rather it started as a 5 year old falling in love with flying, day dreaming and the original trilogy.... which all other things were then associated to, including religion/spirituality. It was/is the basis for me to fashion upon, not a structure for me to follow along. Given the original trilogy was built around spirituality and the human experience with Joseph Campbell et al, it fitted more logically as a basis for my own development, then perhaps a random story might have.

So approaching Star Wars content the same way as I approach anything else could also be seen as approaching everything else as I do to Star Wars, which might be a better representation of it LOL.

Though, I do tend to have higher expectations from Star Wars content - but that is probably just me having my own opinions about how things should work in the possibilities offered by the original trilogy. So in effect, the broader concept of canon is meaningless to me. I like that it exists, as really really in-depth 'universes' are fascinating, but I think it would be silly to claim one was authoritative or 'correct'. I'd be happy if there were half a dozen alternate 'Star Wars Universes' so long as they were solid in their own constructs. I'd bet some would be hopeless and some would be great - but I think that whole issue is more to do with the producers and brand control, and in that regard one 'universe' is probably more realistic to manage for business - but that has nothing do with Jediism for me.

I do not worry too much it either in regards to the association between Jediism and the business of the fiction, so long as they adhere to the basic concepts and themes portrayed in the original trilogy, which so far is ok I think.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
9 years 1 month ago #183868 by OB1Shinobi
i was drawn to the term jedi because i was already involved in exploring mysticism and martial arts and energy work by the time i was old enough to understand the movies

so i was on the jedi path before exploring the fiction: in the better cases the fiction is modelled after real world phenomena

People are complicated.

More
9 years 1 month ago #184015 by Adder

OB1Shinobi wrote: i was drawn to the term jedi because i was already involved in exploring mysticism and martial arts and energy work by the time i was old enough to understand the movies

Yep me too, I dropped the whole Star Wars interest in the mid 80's when they stopped making movies, and only came back to it by chance as a result of my interest in those same type of things you've listed
:side:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184017 by
I discovered Star Wars when I was......12? ish...I don't remember exactly when. My mother was staying up really late because my father had to work out of state. I saw her watching this new (To me) Movie and asked if I could stay up late and watch it with her. I got hooked and we watched all three, original, vhs movies. From there I hungered for more and started reading the books, listening to the audio cassette tapes and started developing my own faith out of it. At the time...I thought I was the only one clever and creative enough to make a personal religion out of fiction :blush: :silly: :blush: My mother would take me with her to new age group meetings where they practiced yoga, aura sensing, taffy energy, sweat lodges....ect ect... which only helped to solidify my personal faith as a Jedi.

One day, my father told me that he had found a article on the internet that said the government had figured out how to make a real lightsaber. I, of course, did not believe him. So i got on the internet (For the first time) and started looking for this proof. In the search...I found - jediism.org. a site that is now very very dead and gone. The rest is just history and here I am XD My foundation was star wars, and I still learn and take a great deal out of the fiction. I also take from other fictions such as Everquest, Kushiel and TA Barron Merlin series. (Among Others) But I also take from real texts. I take what I approve of and feel close to my heart...and I dump out the rest. But Star Wars will always be my foundation. I just evolve as I grow :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184077 by
Hello Beth! It's great to see you on here :)

BVLSingler wrote: I am the Beth Singler quoted in the article, and I am glad to see that the bits by Singler were okay according to one poster here :D I also have a short interview coming up in a mini-documentary on the BBC soon - which I hope will also clarify some similar points - which I think Akkarin was also involved in.

It's funny you brought that up, I was going to message Laurence soon about when it will be shown.

BVLSingler wrote: I have a request. I am writing a paper on Jediism for the International Association for the History of Religions (IAHR) conference in Erfurt, Germany, in August and I wondered if anyone would be willing to talk to me for it? The subject is changes in the face of alterations in the Star Wars universe (inc. Disney buyout, Midi-Chlorians, the new films, and the reduction in size of the canon universe). But part of what I want to explore is the overall impact of the fictional world on the real world religion, even if that impact is minimal or decreasing in importance. I know that the link between the two is sometimes over stated, and some of this thread has backed up that view for me. So this is a chance to express that, and there will most likely be a publication off of the back of the research paper. I can't guarantee more press coverage as academic conferences don't get that much attention...

You can reply here, PM me, or my e-mail is bvw at cam dot ac dot uk. And you can be as anonymous as you like, just let me know.

A PM is coming your way!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184105 by
Hello all! Thank you for you comments, its all very interesting and very useful. I have roughed out some questions on the specific points I am considering, which you can answer here or PM me (apparently my e-mail isn't working when I spell it out...). Obviously if you feel you've covered a point, don't feel you have to repeat yourself :)

1. Do changes in the Star Wars Universe affect your conception of
Jediism?

e.g.: the introduction of the midi-chlorians in the prequels.

2. Do you have a response to the corporate buyout of the Star Wars
Universe by Disney?

3. And the subsequent shrinking of the canon universe by Disney in
preparation for the new films?

4. What relationship is there going to be between Jediism going forward
and the newer corporate entity of the Star Wars Universe?

5. Has the release of the Star Wars MMO, or the future release of the
new films, had any effect on your conception of Jediism?

6. Do you have a different response to these changes as a fan, and as a
Jedi?

7. What do you see as the future of Jediism?

8. Is there any one within Jediism you think I should speak to about
these topics?

Thank you!

Beth

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #184111 by RyuJin
Jediism?

nope, not even in the slightest.

Universe by Disney?

hopefully they don't "disney-fy" it ...by that i mean they don't turn it into a highly watered down version of itself for the sake of political correctness....always remember it's a sci-fi space-opera...minus the god awful singing :lol:

it's a bit disappointing that we may not get to see some of the things from the old eu as some of them were good. the move is understandable though.

hard to say. hopefully nothing bad.

nope.

Jedi?

as a fan, the changes bring mixed feelings. the apparent loss of so much material from canon is a bit disappointing but also understandable business wise. as a jedi...nope

hard to say...as yoda would say"difficult to see the future is, always in motion it is"

these topics?

anyone and everyone

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by RyuJin.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184116 by
I will attempt to answer them all as briefly as possible. Please do not interpret brevity as displeasure at the question being asked.

BVLSingler wrote: 1. Do changes in the Star Wars Universe affect your conception of
Jediism?

Not at all.

BVLSingler wrote: 2. Do you have a response to the corporate buyout of the Star Wars
Universe by Disney?

As a Jedi, no. As a fan, I think that Disney's ownership of Marvel has been great so I'm looking forwards to what they can do with Star Wars.

BVLSingler wrote: 3. And the subsequent shrinking of the canon universe by Disney in

I think it makes sense for them to have done that. They want to be able to create movies their own way with their own story. Plus I never really read any of the EU so it's loss didn't effect me much.

BVLSingler wrote: 4. What relationship is there going to be between Jediism going forward

I imagine that it will be the same as it has been. Some Jedi look to the fiction a lot, some ignore it completely, most are somewhere in the middle. The fact that it's owned by Disney won't change that.

BVLSingler wrote: 5. Has the release of the Star Wars MMO, or the future release of the

No.

BVLSingler wrote: 6. Do you have a different response to these changes as a fan, and as a
Jedi?

Absolutely. Granted, my beliefs as a Jedi affect my views on the world as a whole but they are not the driving force (see what I did there. :laugh: ) behind my views on the upcoming movies and recent changes. My beliefs as a Jedi have had less and less to do with Star Wars as I learn, so me being a Jedi now has the about the same effect on my views of Star Wars as it does on my views of The Avengers. If Disney botches the movie my first thoughts will not be "they ruined the origin of my religion!" it will most likely be "they ruined a favorite childhood movie! Again!"

BVLSingler wrote: 7. What do you see as the future of Jediism?

In the near future I see an upswing in interest with the new movies, but I doubt that it will lead to a drastic change in long term members. The distant future is always unclear.

Thank you for asking. I look forwards to reading what you do with the information.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #184117 by

Jediism?

Not at all. We know from the beginning that Star Wars is just a Sci Fi Fiction with movie magic, director imagination, and whole lot of color and light shows to make the shows as entertaining to a wide variety of folks. Within most of the Jediism/Jedi Realism community we go through the Universe and take what we find applicable to real life beliefs and practices, and leave the rest to fiction. Midi-chlorians is fiction :laugh:

Universe by Disney?

As a Jedi. Not at all. Disney is well known for applying Moral Lessons and sound Examples of education to it's audiance. I am certian they will do the same. If this is so, I will take what is good, and leave the rest to fiction.

As a star wars fan. I am still on the fence. We shall see!

As a Jedi - No effect
As a Star Wars Fan - So sad!!! *Cries* I am very unhappy that they did this....I was a big fan of the EU, Thrawn Trilogy, ect ect....As a Role Player this hurts so many of my stories as well. Now it all void and not cannon. Really sucks....

None. We are not looking to align ourselves with the Star Wars Universe. Meerly to learn and take what is valuable and give us iconic hero's to model ourselves after.

Not really. I was a Beta Tester for the Old Republic MMO and while it had a few wise quotes to take into my journal....it was just a fun game (That got ruined the more they played with it)

Jedi?

Nope

Just will have to wait and see. :) A Jedi dosn't live in the future. Just what we are now.

these topics?

Not these topics specifically no.