Why so many people become disappointed with this community

More
5 years 6 months ago #327370 by Manu

Khaos wrote: If people want zero forum drama, the only way to manage that is to stop going to forums. Just like if you do not want to get hacked, or the possibility, dont go online.

Tell me again why you favored banning Mortise at FA.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #327371 by

Manu wrote:

Khaos wrote: If people want zero forum drama, the only way to manage that is to stop going to forums. Just like if you do not want to get hacked, or the possibility, dont go online.

Reminder we discuss ideas, not people... Nor do we antagonise anyone about their histories. *glances up at red bar overhead*...
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by .

More
5 years 6 months ago #327376 by Manu

Arisaig wrote:

Manu wrote:

Reminder we discuss ideas, not people... Nor do we antagonise anyone about their histories. *glances up at red bar overhead*...

I was trying to state a specific example to make my point. Apologies if I breached the rules by doing so.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Rex,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #327382 by

Manu wrote:

Arisaig wrote:

Manu wrote:

I was trying to state a specific example to make my point. Apologies if I breached the rules by doing so.

I'm trying to figure out what this strange bar is that floats over aris head... and does it deliver octoberfest beer?

More
5 years 6 months ago #327387 by rugadd
Yes, it is a very useful thread, still. Lot's of people are tipping their hands over and over. This is as intimate as we can get here. I've been reading all of you. I'm willing to bet dozens more are too who don't post.

Please, continue. Your showing us all a lot about yourselves. How you compose yourself. What your willing to say to get a point across. How understanding you are. Your patterns of thought. Whether you vicious. Whether your kind. If you like to listen. If you refuse too.

Please, go on.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Rex, thomaswfaulkner,

More
5 years 6 months ago #327411 by Tellahane
At the end of the day you can talk about not having expectations and not being disappointed and all these great things you have learned from being here at the temple or even your own life experiences. However what you can't control is who comes here to this temple, and what experiences and knowledge they may or may not have. Sure some come with a philosophical background, spiritual background at times, others will come with absolutely none. They will not know any better about expectations, and won't probably for sometime going into the start of the programs here.

So yes while great lessons in philosophy how does that help those who haven't gotten to those lessons yet?

Do you account for the average of future members to come, or the lowest common denominator? Or somewhere in-between?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #327415 by
Great questions, Tellahane. Ultimately, we have a responsibility to those who would make this Temple their spiritual home first. We certainly cannot be expected to cater to the lowest common denominator or adjust our mode of operation for every type of person that comes in here. For some, this Temple and Jediism in general may not be a good fit. That is okay. While it does need some adjusting now and constant review, I do believe that the Initiate Program is an excellent way to determine if this Temple is really going to serve the purpose people want it to or not.

I once tried out for a basketball team in high school with the expectation that if I worked really hard and practiced a lot, I could make the team. I had very little knowledge or experience in basketball up to that point, and it showed, but a lot of my friends were playing at the time so I figured I would just pick it up as I went along. Others showed up more physically and mentally prepared to play the game. My expectations for myself as a basketball player were way off, and I've learned that basketball is not a sport that is right for me. That's not the fault of the sport, the coach, or the team. It is on me for not knowing what I was getting myself into and then believing that the team should compensate for my weaknesses. After seeing the reality, I don't feel bad about walking away from basketball, just as people shouldn't feel let down by Jediism or TOTJO just because we don't serve a purpose for them at this point on their path.

I would hope that anyone who comes here with certain expectations and finds them not being met would then use that opportunity to search for what they need elsewhere and perhaps return here later when it makes more sense. I didn't find this Temple until I was 34, but that is when it was right for me to be here.

More
5 years 6 months ago #327429 by Eleven
I'm not so much against the thread as i see its going no where. Feelings are being hurt and egos are getting out of hand about whos right in the scenario.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #327430 by

Sven One wrote: I'm not so much against the thread as i see its going no where. Feelings are being hurt and egos are getting out of hand about whos right in the scenario.

That is sometimes the nature of strong debate. It is that pain that causes us to reevaluate our positions in life. It is a good thing.

More
5 years 6 months ago #327432 by Carlos.Martinez3
A Jedi seeks to live in harmony with the Force, for that is the reason to be a Jedi. To better understand its ways, to better know one's place within it.
Jedi Believe
In the Force, and in the inherent worth of all life within it.

In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment, including the death penalty.

In a society governed by laws grounded in reason and compassion, not in fear or prejudice.

In a society that does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or circumstances of birth such as gender, ethnicity and national origin.

In the ethic of reciprocity, and how moral concepts are not absolute but vary by culture, religion, and over time.

In the positive influence of spiritual growth and awareness on society.

In the importance of freedom of conscience and self-determination within religious, political and other structures.

In the separation of religion and government and the freedoms of speech, association, and expression.

Whether you want to become a Jedi, are a real Jedi looking for additional training or just interested in learning about and discussing The Force, we're here for you.

No where does it say we are here to harm.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi