Why so many people become disappointed with this community

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
5 years 6 months ago #327318 by ren
No I will not state that.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #327330 by Eleven
I'm calling for this subject yo be locked this is going no where.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
5 years 6 months ago #327331 by Rex
I asked for Zenchi's wildly immature exommuncation thread to be locked and someone's reply was along the line of "you don't have to participate. These threads die anyways"

Yeah some of these threads with disappointing and disgusting posts would be nice to not see constantly, but ignoring it until it goes away seems to be the M.O. for a bevy of reasons

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
5 years 6 months ago #327332 by Nakis
Is there any point to continuing this conversation, gleaning any new information, or would it be a good chance to step back, develop arguments, and present again at a later time?

Licensed Clergy Person
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven, Kobos

More
5 years 6 months ago #327334 by Gisteron

ren wrote: The guests who behave like guests and whose interests in totjo are found in our teachings rather than a forum 'fight' are very welcome here.

For one, I fail to see the distinction. What kind of "interest in our teachings" is it that does not include an interest in any kind of discussion or debate or what ever other form of mild discourse qualifies as a "forum 'fight'" nowadays? Also, what do you mean they are "welcome" if their interest in TOTJO is found in its teachings, if that kind of being-welcome does not include posting privileges to the forum section dedicated to just those teachings?

Maybe it wasn't intended so, but it feels so hollow, almost patronizing to even read this gibberish, knowing what else is going on. It sounds like something a politician would say, and like it has all of that sincerity, too.

As a suggestion to ease the pain of those who would rather see conversations shut down before suffering the grave burdensome tragedy of having to see their dreadful titles in the latest posts bar, is it possible to set up and manage some kind of personal filters for that tab? It seems to be a very severe burden, and I think that would be a healthier compromise than what they suggest, if it is possible with this forum engine.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
5 years 6 months ago #327338 by ren
The only filters i am considering using at this time
are harrassment orders.

Also, you know what else is going on? Can you tell me, I don't.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #327358 by
We all have our moments of indiscretion and I seem to excel at it sometimes. I apologize for my recent behaviour in this thread.

More
5 years 6 months ago #327359 by Manu

Gisteron wrote: What kind of "interest in our teachings" is it that does not include an interest in any kind of discussion or debate or what ever other form of mild discourse qualifies as a "forum 'fight'" nowadays? Also, what do you mean they are "welcome" if their interest in TOTJO is found in its teachings, if that kind of being-welcome does not include posting privileges to the forum section dedicated to just those teachings?

Maybe it wasn't intended so, but it feels so hollow, almost patronizing to even read this gibberish, knowing what else is going on. It sounds like something a politician would say, and like it has all of that sincerity, too.

As a suggestion to ease the pain of those who would rather see conversations shut down before suffering the grave burdensome tragedy of having to see their dreadful titles in the latest posts bar, is it possible to set up and manage some kind of personal filters for that tab? It seems to be a very severe burden, and I think that would be a healthier compromise than what they suggest, if it is possible with this forum engine.

I believe it has been stated elsewhere that the original switch of the Jediism forum from public to members only was in the interest of focused discussion. From an administrative point of view, it makes sense to limit access to diminish the incidents of spammers, bots and trolls that might otherwise disrupt conversation flow.

Also, there is an assumed common ground on which to talk to, similar to how Apprentice-only or Knights-only forums are focused for people who have completed the prerequisite training.

The problem is that the “Jediism” forum should have been appropriately labeled as such, to avoid confusion (I would usually post there, unaware that guests would not be able to reply), and hidden from guest view altogether (thus you cut down on FOMO).

Now, the way I see it, there is NOTHING stopping any guest from participating in the open discussions forum. So go at it, debate to your heart’s content.

These forum “fights” do not refer to the intended debate of ideas, which is readily invited and openly encouraged by members new and old, which I agree lead to growth and learning.

Instead, fighting refers to the amount of forum drama that gets started over and over again and carries on to new threads when old ones are locked. Those are usually not the product of debate, but of outright personal attacks. I don’t think shutting down those threads by locking them is the solution, the better MO, as proposed, is to simply stop feeding the fire.

There is of course a lot to improve on the administration’s end, and is partly a reason why these issues keep popping up, but it is sometimes readily evident when people are simply fanning the flames because they get carried away vs. doing it in order to present a sound point of view that might be uncomfortable. There is a difference.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #327363 by
If people want zero forum drama, the only way to manage that is to stop going to forums. Just like if you do not want to get hacked, or the possibility, dont go online.

Or hell, dont go outside.

Or interact at all. Then you can have your drama-free environment, and you can study without challenge in a perfect echo chamber of artificially created bliss ( ignorance).

"There is no ignorance, there is knowledge" also comes with understanding that locking things, avoiding them, and creating "safe spaces" is another forum of this.

Its like those pacifist societies that claim how such works and is a method to peace, and enlightenment completely ignoring that fact that there peace comes at the cost in almost every case because someone else is willing to engage in combat for them.

Such mindsets and methodologies keep you ignorant of people. Of what it means to interact with people, and to engage in life.

More
5 years 6 months ago #327365 by Nakis
In general I agree with allowing for freedom of discussion, but once it strays beyond a useful discussion, or when the actual content generated by the current phase of the discussion generates more petty spite than actual dialogue, then something should generally be done.

The whole slippery slope conversation of "If you want a safe space, stay home and turn off the internet" is rather pointless when it gets down to name calling or the actual product of the thread is worthless bickering. It's less safe space, and more "we're getting nowhere and letting people duke it out in public is harmful to the image of the Temple for those not deeply aware of the interpersonal workings of those involved."

The difference is how useful a conversation is and if it merits continuing on. Drama is pointless pettiness, and while it will never go away, there is a limit to what is acceptable. This is what I ask: Is this conversation still producing acceptable conversation that merits discussion, or have we gotten to the point where the topic is exhausted? ;)

Licensed Clergy Person

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi