The Charlottesville debate - or a lack of it

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #297857 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: ISIS makes sex slaves out of children and tosses gays off of the tops of buildings but if you point that out youre an islamophohe and a nazi

If you cared to consider the reaction from others, nobody defends IS/Daesh, especially in cases like this.

I've also seen white supremacist groups supporting the Chechen purge of gays and how Daesh treats them.

Also, Ren, in what ways are American/Western liberals comparable to Nazism?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #297860 by OB1Shinobi
I want to make sure people dont go too far in making assumptions about my position: i am opposed to ALL people who consider violence to be an acceptable response to differences in ideology, and to all people who believe in racial superiority. Thats antifa most definitely, and also the alt right.

Its not ok to punch a nazi in the face, any more than its ok for a nazi to punch you in the face. Keep your hands to yourself or go to jail. Violence is only acceptable in self defense from direct attack. Thats the law. The AMERICAN law. Its smarter than you are, and you dont have any more right to break it than anyone else.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #297861 by steamboat28
Nazi symbolism, by its very nature, perpetuates violence.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by steamboat28. Reason: awkward sentence structure

More
6 years 8 months ago #297862 by Lykeios Little Raven
Nah, punching Nazis is definitely okay. It's preemptive self defense. Proactive self defense. :P

And yes, I know that sounds ridiculous.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #297863 by OB1Shinobi
Fair enough steam, but if a person is standing there with a flag, not being violent, and you bash his skull, or punch him in the face, who perpetuated the violence?

The law applies to the nazi as much as to you or me. If he commits violence then i would enjoy helping to apprehend him. But our justice system, one of the things it gets right is that you cant punish someone for a crime they havent committed yet.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
6 years 8 months ago #297864 by Lykeios Little Raven
Being a Nazi should BE a crime. It is in Germany.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #297865 by

Williamkaede wrote:
And it is a very revealing moment for the Jedi, where their minimal responses to last weekends' events have pussyfooted around the issue and not said anything of worth or integrity in response. (Except for the KOA's post about escaping civil unrest. That was tops.)

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/toleration/#ConTolPar

Turns out I've been anything but silent. But I'm talking about it in places where I feel it's needed; not here preaching to the (assumed) choir
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by .

More
6 years 8 months ago #297866 by OB1Shinobi

Lykeios wrote: Nah, punching Nazis is definitely okay. It's preemptive self defense. Proactive self defense. :P

And yes, I know that sounds ridiculous.

It sounded pretty dumb when W used it as excuse to invade Iraq and Afganistan.

People are complicated.

More
6 years 8 months ago #297867 by Carlos.Martinez3
That's what it what that group used it for but I think most symbols are made by their choosers . The swastika resembles the violent change sometimes ... Some times the storm ... Some cultures used it as the beginning of power . Not fair to say one symbol cuz of what we say bad chooses ... Symbols are tools as well as identifications . It's all in what context and light . The "nazi symbol " was for hate ... All that , the swastica is a symbol. Right ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #297868 by Lykeios Little Raven
Totally different.

There was no evidence they had WMDs or whatever you call them. (Or at least the "evidence" was falsified evidence...)

There IS evidence that Nazis are violent, dangerous jerks. (Jerk being the NICEST word I could possibly use...)

Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi