The Awesomeness of Trump

More
6 years 7 months ago #300594 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic The Awesomeness of Trump

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: sorry but they don't have a greater voice. they have an equal voice and I don't need to read your propaganda to know that. As for the senate, sure they have the ability to protect the minority voice, until there is no minority in the senate... then its back to wolf rule. The electoral college is in place so this never happens.

You calling something propaganda does not make it propaganda. Lucky me, it only takes fairly simple math to show that the votes are not equal at all. One vote in Wyoming (for president) almost equals four votes in New York.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/map_of_the_week/2012/11/presidential_election_a_map_showing_the_vote_power_of_all_50_states.html

Founder of The Order
The topic has been locked.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #300623 by
Replied by on topic The Awesomeness of Trump

Br. John wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: sorry but they don't have a greater voice. they have an equal voice and I don't need to read your propaganda to know that. As for the senate, sure they have the ability to protect the minority voice, until there is no minority in the senate... then its back to wolf rule. The electoral college is in place so this never happens.

You calling something propaganda does not make it propaganda. Lucky me, it only takes fairly simple math to show that the votes are not equal at all. One vote in Wyoming (for president) almost equals four votes in New York.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/map_of_the_week/2012/11/presidential_election_a_map_showing_the_vote_power_of_all_50_states.html

Yes it should. What your failing to mention is your counting votes as an individual Thing, not a group represented thing. That's my very point. If we were to count votes as individual things then it would be easy for New York to vote that Wyoming should be turned into a parking lot (for example) and there is nothing Wyoming could ever do to stop that because New York has sheer numbers. But the electoral college allows wyoming to have the same, equal voice in voting and so one group can never steamroller another in this way. But don't listen to me, I suggest you do some honest research on the electoral college instead of just taking others word for it either way. Because, once again, we are a republic not a democracy and there is a reason for that.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by .
More
6 years 7 months ago #300624 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic The Awesomeness of Trump
How can New York, or Texas, or California, or all three combined for that matter, do anything to Wyoming? There is nothing that requires a Republican form of government to not have a direct election for the president.

You tell me. How and why did we wind up with an electoral college system in the first place? Unless you have a time machine you'll be taking other's words for it since they are all deceased and all we have left are their notes and writings.

I'd bet the farm that if Hillary had won the electoral college and lost the popular vote you'd be screaming to high heaven.

Founder of The Order
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #300627 by
Come on, you answered your own question there. The notes and writings are the very evidence your demanding. It's well documented why they did what they did - why they did not setup a democracy but a capatlist republic. Because they were tired of the tyranny that other systems generate - like democracies. They setup the most successful form or govt to ever exist and it's because of mechanisms like the electoral college that it is so successful. True democracy is doomed to failure because it ends up in monarchy rule. A republic is designed against this inevitability. That's why they did it. And no I would not be crying bloody murder now if Hillary had been elected because I believe in this system and I support it whole heartedly, even when I don't get my way.
More
6 years 7 months ago #300732 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic The Awesomeness of Trump

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: The electoral college is in place to protect the minority opinion in this country so they are not overrun by the wolves. Raw Popular vote is irrelevant no matter how much you stamp your foot and demand it should count as law. Trump was elected as designed by our founding fathers fair and square, just as many other presidents in our history, no matter what the popular vote says. This nation is not a democracy but a democratic representative republic by design. This gives fair representation to All members of the republic, not just the strongest.

By this logic black votes should count as double and Asian votes triple?

No?

The electoral college favors geographic regions just so that smaller populations have a megaphone.

It assumes that people in these elevated regions have completely different needs that would never be met by a president chosen by "city-folk". Maybe there was a time when this was true, but it isn't now. It's time for the electoral college to go so that each person gets one vote.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #300733 by

ZealotX wrote:
By this logic black votes should count as double and Asian votes triple?

No?

The electoral college favors geographic regions just so that smaller populations have a megaphone.

It assumes that people in these elevated regions have completely different needs that would never be met by a president chosen by "city-folk". Maybe there was a time when this was true, but it isn't now. It's time for the electoral college to go so that each person gets one vote.

Sorry but your wrong. Today we need this system even more than in the past. And I have no idea how you took my statement and construed it to say that minorities votes should count more??
More
6 years 7 months ago #300735 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic The Awesomeness of Trump
Whether Trump is awesome or not depends on several key factors:

1. your level of education
2. whether you believe everything Trump says
3. whether you actually follow politics
4. whether you hate the government
5. whether you believe in conspiracy theories
6. whether you are racist or sexist
7. whether you think that Trump cares about you instead of wanting the power of the office to benefit himself
8. whether your name is Donald, Jr., Eric, Baron, Ivanka or (sometimes) Jared
9. whether you don't care if your president is respected around the world or you're an isolationist
10. whether you like Russia

As for arguments about the economy... people make the assumption that Trump knows what he's talking about. He doesn't. He was against many things Obama did because he simply hated Obama and got all of his opinions from the far right, not because he understood every issue. Whatever Trump will do to benefit businesses he will do purely as a side effect of enacting legislation that helps his own businesses make more money. Trump was already notorious for construction issues where regulation protects the public from people just like Trump who prioritize profits over people. The only reason he has reversed on several issues is because he admittedly started (like after taking the oath) to consider how his decisions would effect real lives and that he couldn't make these decisions like he would for his businesses. Because, of course, when it comes to his businesses he is heartless. How else can you sell people on Trump university, knowing it's a scam, just to take money they don't even have?

The people who went to Trump university are just like those who voted for Trump to be president. They honestly wanted something better. They wanted that taste of success. They equated success with the Trump brand so therefore believed he would be a successful president. However, they were ultimately cheated.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #300737 by

ZealotX wrote: Whether Trump is awesome or not depends on several key factors:

1. your level of education
2. whether you believe everything Trump says
3. whether you actually follow politics
4. whether you hate the government
5. whether you believe in conspiracy theories
6. whether you are racist or sexist
7. whether you think that Trump cares about you instead of wanting the power of the office to benefit himself
8. whether your name is Donald, Jr., Eric, Baron, Ivanka or (sometimes) Jared
9. whether you don't care if your president is respected around the world or you're an isolationist
10. whether you like Russia.

Are you saying stupid people think Trump is awesome... Or smart people think Trump is awesome? Thays a rather big assumption either way.

I don't like Trump and I follow politics. I have friends that don't like Trump and don't follow politics. Please explain.

You don't need to be racist or sexist to think Trump is awesome. Just saying. Women voted for Trump too, and so did many minorities.

Yes, his kids like him. Duh. It's a respect your father thing.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #300742 by

Arisaig wrote:
Are you saying stupid people think Trump is awesome... Or smart people think Trump is awesome? Thays a rather big assumption either way.

I don't like Trump and I follow politics. I have friends that don't like Trump and don't follow politics. Please explain.

You don't need to be racist or sexist to think Trump is awesome. Just saying. Women voted for Trump too, and so did many minorities.

Yes, his kids like him. Duh. It's a respect your father thing.

Zealot is attempting to categorize and stereotype everything into a neat little box as he often does. The argument is meaningless in the end and I doubt a straight and honest answer is forthcoming.
More
6 years 7 months ago #300746 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic The Awesomeness of Trump

ZealotX wrote: It assumes that people in these elevated regions have completely different needs that would never be met by a president chosen by "city-folk". Maybe there was a time when this was true, but it isn't now. It's time for the electoral college to go so that each person gets one vote.

From what I understand, it only assumes that individual States should have the final say on their candidate, and have their vote count on equal grounds with other States.

Voting by population alone would put smaller States at a disadvantage, and the USA is supposed to be a union of sovereign States, not a single centralized State.

Trump won because the Democratic party failed to address the emotional aspects of a political campaign, and have done a poor job at keeping working white men included in their discourse.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You:
Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi