Citizens with guns

More
7 years 11 months ago #244862 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic Citizens with guns
I, obviously have my own opinions on the matter, but I would look to the Buddhist parable of the poisoned arrow. If an man has been struck by an poisoned arrow, but refuses to be brought to a doctor until he knows the age, hometown and caste of the man who shot it, the style of the of the bow, the wood the shaft is made of, the animal the sinew is from, the kind of bird whose feathers the fletch is made of, the style of arrowhead, etc...the man will die and will be no wiser for it.

I think that regulating guns is the first step - pulling the poisoned arrow from our collective side. Then can we start looking at the root causes of gun violence.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #244872 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Citizens with guns

Trisskar wrote: Here is question (Not looking for your answer): How many people could have been saved had every other person in that nightclub carried? (or at least the bouncers) Hmmmmmm.......

Attachment ha29426f_2016-06-13.jpg not found

* Mod: I adminified it for you before I saw it had already been done blw - Adder

This message contains confidential information

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Adder.

More
7 years 11 months ago #244874 by Alethea Thompson
Miss_Leah

It's a lot harder to kill off the weed if you cut it. Kill the root, though? Everything else will follow.

Japan doesn't have a problem with violence, not because they don't have guns, but because their values do not align heavily with violent acts. They prefer working as a whole. That's why it works.

Here in America? We can't just get rid of the guns. We can't just get rid of bombs either. This hatred is rooted deep into who we are. People will just find another way to kill. >.>

The root of the problem is emotional stability. We hate each other. Fix that. Everything will follow.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #244875 by
Replied by on topic Citizens with guns

Alethea Thompson wrote:

Trisskar wrote: Here is question (Not looking for your answer): How many people could have been saved had every other person in that nightclub carried? (or at least the bouncers) Hmmmmmm.......

[img size=478x360]http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/f/fb/Tootsie-roll-pop-owl.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140423224633[/img]
:/ How do I actually get an image to be visible? lol

By getting rid of the sizing and a proper Image location that ends in .png .jpeg .gif ect ect..... Save to desktop > Add File > Attach XD
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by .

More
7 years 11 months ago #244876 by Leah Starspectre

Alethea Thompson wrote: Miss_Leah

It's a lot harder to kill off the weed if you cut it. Kill the root, though? Everything else will follow.

Japan doesn't have a problem with violence, not because they don't have guns, but because their values do not align heavily with violent acts. They prefer working as a whole. That's why it works.

Here in America? We can't just get rid of the guns. We can't just get rid of bombs either. This hatred is rooted deep into who we are. People will just find another way to kill. >.>

The root of the problem is emotional stability. We hate each other. Fix that. Everything will follow.

But getting rid of guns is pretty darned impossible, which is why it's suggested to regulate them - to mitigate damage, not get rid of then completely.

While cutting something off at the root is ideal, the problem is much more complex than that. In the meantime, the Uncle Sam is bleeding from a poisoned arrow sicking out his side, but demanding to know the religion/mental health status of the person who shot the arrow, rather than pulling the arrow out and seeing medical help...

More
7 years 11 months ago #244878 by Alethea Thompson
Alright! Trisskar, here's the image (I hope XD!)

Attachment ha29426f.jpg not found

Miss_Leah, But by focusing on one part of the problem, we're loosing on other parts. The beauty of a community based help system, is that you don't have to worry about dividing the different fronts. We can work together on different problems simultaneously. But no one is focused on the root of the problem- the hate. They all want to talk about the guns while hate still runs amok.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Carlos.Martinez3

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #244885 by Leah Starspectre
Of course we can't focus *only* on guns, but it's the most immediate threat (ie. the part that's tangibly killing people. With bullets.), and the one people seem to have the most trouble regulating. This is why more focus is needed. Poor mental health care, rampant hate and religious extremism need to be dealt with, but those issues will take a loooooong time to sort out (if they ever can be). Meanwhile, we can do something NOW about gun regulation.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Leah Starspectre.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #244886 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Citizens with guns

Miss_Leah wrote: But getting rid of guns is pretty darned impossible, which is why it's suggested to regulate them - to mitigate damage, not get rid of then completely.

Yes, and one of your previous posts included a helpful interview with Obama on his stance on gun control. It is completely illegal to take guns away, but the federal government can (and I would argue should) limit purchasing firearms. Almost all gun owners I know would rather have the government control the flow of weapons rather than have the BATFE breathing down their necks.
Interview

Alethea Thompson wrote: We can't just get rid of bombs either.

Actually a very different subject. The majority of bomb plots are tipped off to the FBI/HSA and these are completely illegal. In the case of shootings, having a gun isn't illegal so preventative measures are very scarce.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Rex.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leah Starspectre

More
7 years 11 months ago #244888 by Alethea Thompson
I know gunsmiths. They even make their own bullets. It's not hard to make a gun if you want to learn the skill.

So no, it really isn't all that different.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
7 years 11 months ago #244889 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Citizens with guns

Alethea Thompson wrote: I know gunsmiths. They even make their own bullets. It's not hard to make a gun if you want to learn the skill.

So no, it really isn't all that different.

Yes, I agree but my point was that having a gun in your trunk is legal whereas a bomb is not. Most bombers are caught well before they can hurt people whereas the FBI has multiple times complained that they have very little preventative measures for shootings.
Casting bullets is easy, as is manufacturing rudamentary firearms; criminal Aussie gangs are notorious for that in particular. Luckily, these tend to be break action and don't have the cyclical rate of a semi auto 556.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi