Citizens with guns

More
7 years 11 months ago #244749 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Citizens with guns

It's a minor quibble, yes, but I am absolutely going to hold you accountable on it. Sorry, but them's the rules.

If we are going to get upset because my choice of wording isnt what you want even though I tried repeatedly to say I get that you view it differently and respect it there is little else to say. More then once I said I get your view and why you might have it and even if I dont agree I respect it. If you are going to refuse to give me the benefit of the doubt despite my saying that repeatedly I dont know what to say.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #244750 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Citizens with guns
Please take it to PM if anyone wants to continue to discuss the differences in meaning of conviction and feeling, thanks, or start a new thread
:blink:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leah Starspectre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #244751 by
Replied by on topic Citizens with guns

MadHatter wrote: More then once I said I get your view and why you might have it and even if I dont agree I respect it.

This message contains confidential information

And yet you still insisted on using "feelings." Why is it a problem? Because people who speak out about these kinds of issues, or ANY endemic injustices in American society get dismissed with claims that the people who are upset are just "having feelings" and being "overemotional." It's a very convenient way to block any sort of discourse.

It just so happens it comes from the Cult of the Gun a LOT, so you can imagine why I'm particularly angry about seeing it here. If you mean what you say, stop making the same stupid "mistake", if that's what it even is. Seriously. It's not rocket science.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #244762 by
Literally disgusted that in the wake of the worst mass shooting in American history, the first post about it at my Temple was a call for having more guns.

More
7 years 11 months ago #244769 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Citizens with guns
Before people post more on this board, take a moment to understand why you're doing so. A knee-jerk reaction to tragedy by blaming it on guns, islam, or whatever your scapegoat may be doesn't solve the problem; rather it entrenches divisive attitudes that prevent positive resolution. No one wants more of this conflict, and these posts are often people who believe that they are responsible enough to concealed carry. If you're disgusted, angry, convicted, afraid don't whine on a forum, go serve the people hurt by this. "Come now, we are men of action, lies do not become us." Go volunteer for the Red Cross

In light of that, I think everyone here can agree that non-lethal means of protection and gun education would massively impact cases like this. In the similar (gun-free) environment of the Umpqua Community College shooting, an unarmed veteran (Chris Mintz) held off the shooter with his bare hands preventing higher loss of life. Mintz did so by understanding basic firearm principles, and rushed the shooter while he was reloading. If the public learned gun safety, they would have a better mental arsenal to handle situations like this. A quick survey of mass attacks (defined by the FBI as 3+ victims, non gang-related) shows that perpetrators are usually unskilled (many suspects are tipped off to the FBI by gun clubs). Learning a week's worth of Krav Maga could save more than your own life in these situations.
America does have an addiction to guns, and legal owners cannot have their weapons confiscated. What are you going to do about it. Almost all states have firearm background checks or are in the process of institutionalizing them.
Warning: Spoiler!

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, MadHatter

More
7 years 11 months ago #244770 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Citizens with guns

tzb wrote: Literally disgusted that in the wake of the worst mass shooting in American history, the first post about it at my Temple was a call for having more guns.

I can get the sentiment. However I think that in the wake of people helpless to fight back calling for them to be able to have the tools to maybe have made a difference is understandable.

Rex you have a very valid and balanced view. Bravo.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

More
7 years 11 months ago #244772 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Citizens with guns
Citizens with guns...
My defense against this is not a common practice. I charge my family to be more aware and more responsible. Road rage is always present. Hate is always present. My defense is to teach those who I care for to make better choices. Free will is a tool like a gun and so are freedom s..plural...
Tools,like money can only do ONE thing... amplify what is already present. So... citizens with guns seems to me to be a lot of tools spread to to many awaiting mishaps.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #244780 by
We all react to tragic events and terrorist attacks like this differently, it's definitely a time for mourning and giving support to the victims, but some of us who follow these issues and global situations closely also can see trends and where it's headed which gives us more reactions and opinions. This is a temple, a way for all of us to come together and share what we feel even if it offends, upsets or contradicts others, to learn and share from the experiences and atone ourselves to having a more spiritual or conscious perspective and behavior. This topic is another politicized dividing topic, like that recent race based thread, so we all may have strong opinions about it and will butt heads. It's sensitive for me because not only am I sick of seeing these events happening, I'm also disugsted with people doing nothing about it themselves but letting other people decide what they can or can't do as a means of self defense that just creates more victims and keeps more people helpless and ignorant of their own potential for being self responsible. Then when someone just reminds people that you don't have to be a defenseless victim, they get attacked or looked down upon for actually supposedly being one of the sole causes of the problem.

That shooter in Orlando was reported by his co-worker for his behavior but it was ignored due to the political correctness that you can't judge Muslims, associated with former bodyguard of CIA operative Sheikh Omar Abdul-Rahman (assassin, paid by the CIA to visit London where he radicalized Muslims and recruited them for the war against the Soviets, implicatedin the WTC 93 event), he had a specials state carry permit as he worked for a security company, was a wife beater, also investigated by the FBI before for terrorist ties. He had jumped through more hoops than most, his hate for gays and leanings toward radical Islam (religion of peace) is what should be discussed AKA mental health. His dad said he became very angry over the sight of two men kissing, was yelling aloha snackbar and pledged allegience to ISIS on the phone with 911, ISIS 3 days before attack said they would attack in Florida, 100 refugees a day coming who are antigay, have anti-American values, just like in Europe it's going to get worse there is no doubt about it.

Yeah tzb it's a shame isn't it to have to think about more guns, maybe, but it seems a bit more disgusting that people accept just being soft targets for these maniacs to slaughter then using the victims to create more victims through proposing that others shouldn't be able to defend themselves. People can bring up the idea of an arms race, well it's not much of an arms race when people decide to just responsibly conceal carry or ride with a long gun in the trunk just in case, that's regular life for many people already and it's never been an issue. It's the wild west either way now here again so citiizens might as well attempt to be responsible for their own defense in the wake of the waves of domestic terror attacks, unless they are just too ignorant to learn anything from it. People want to be out just living their life, not having to worry about the extremes, but with all of this in your face almost everyday it's rather naive.

All those people in that club trying to run and hide from something you can't even run from, bullets firing at 2500fps, not one person or group attempted to attack the guy knowing either way you're potentially screwed - Over a 100 people he probaby had his back turned to at some point. People today are weak and conditioned to rely on others for everything, traditional morality and responsbility has been thrown in the trash for mere political correctness. I'm not trying to be a tough guy either and don't necessarily blame anyone for not acting because I already know the level of fear and shock that comes when you're being shot at.

It's not the wild west because guns are easy to get, it's because mental illness is a virus running rampant and out of control. There's already common sense gun laws, I just think we could a use more formal mandatory training program in safety and laws surrounding their use like you have to go through hunter safety to hunt. But guess what anyone who decides to snap after going through all those hoops is going to still have a chance to carry out something anyways. All these guns and more were around 10-20+ years ago and there weren't these sort of mass shootings.

Get rid of guns in the US? Can't, have to look at the real root to the problems of these and other events - mental illness, the clashing of cultures that will continue in the US and Europe from bringing in refugees, not securing borders, the hatred and division among people for petty things such as sexual preference, the overall political and economic situation. Blaming guns is just a way for simpletons to vent about this kind of stuff without having to address and go after these real problems, which I think is more offensive to the dead than using them to justify creating more victims by not encouraging people to become situationally aware and take responsibility for their own defense as a last resort because these events will continue.

Just my two cents, which I'm sure most of you already know, but hey this is my Temple too and with this thread I think it's good for me to be able to express how disgusted I feel about all this as well with the recent event and the same old calls for more dangerous non-solutions. I do support more thorough background checks, training and safety classes because people who will be weeded out just through these two measures, registration so we know who owns what (as long as they really don't want to confiscate), a system like we have in CA where if you become a prohibited person we can know who to rightfully disarm (muddy water here as well depends on what causes you to be prohibited), more non-lethal options like tasers (not legal in many places), blah blah and really just more security at places in general, malls, clubs, public buildings.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by .

More
7 years 11 months ago #244786 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Citizens with guns

tzb wrote: Literally disgusted that in the wake of the worst mass shooting in American history, the first post about it at my Temple was a call for having more guns.

As a fellow Brit (where gun ownership is, for the purpose of this argument, illegal) I completely agree with Stu's point, my initial response to the post was one of similar horror. However, as Jedi we accept that:

...moral concepts are not absolute but vary by culture, religion and over time

I sometimes forget just how different my culture can be compared to the US and, as I have been informed previously within this post, it may be harder to see things from the American perspective than first thought.

Steamboat28 wrote: With all due respect, Brick, it's very easy to say that from the outside. It is much more difficult for non-Americans to understand the nature of US gun culture and how that affects and informs decision-making processes, both on a political and individual level.

So from my point of view I'm just going to hope that the '...over time' part of the Doctrine will eventually change US opinion on the matter. It certainly seems to be heading that way - from an outsider's perspective, the 'gun regulation talk' seems to be occurring more and more frequently within US politics. It's just a shame that such tragedies have to happen in order for that talk to take place.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Ben

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #244792 by
I don't believe that guns should be legal. If you give a man a gun, he will want to shoot it. Watch 'Bowling for Columbine' (Michael Moore, fantastic)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi