Citizens with guns

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #241058 by
Replied by on topic Citizens with guns

MartaLina wrote:

Rickie wrote: sarcasm that's all not a challenge

I do have a pistol though and the statement I was trying to make...I am not evil because I have one. Peace :)

I hope you never have to use it ...

So do I. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #241091 by

MartaLina wrote:

Rickie wrote: sarcasm that's all not a challenge

I do have a pistol though and the statement I was trying to make...I am not evil because I have one. Peace :)

I hope you never have to use it ...

My father always said that the only way to guarantee you'll win a fight is to not get into one, but be ready to end one just in case you do.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #241093 by
"It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war"

I agree that we should all be prepared, assuming of course that we do it responsibly.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #241110 by
Because TL:DR the whole thread, I didn't see if this was posted. But since statistic in the US and the U.K. Have been mentioned related to gun violence here, I thought this video would be appropriate. It doesn't suggest a solution, but rather aims to cut through the political and media double speak that goes on around this issue and supports it with actual unbiased, raw statistics. Without further ado...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=yNQebj7_UX4

More
7 years 11 months ago #241427 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Citizens with guns

MadHatter wrote: Running is a good way to get a knife in the back. Longer bludgeoning weapons COULD be a viable option if you know what you are doing.
Thanks for being so civil about it and I hope I didnt come off as rude at any point.

mostly i agree with what youve said in the post i quoted but i have to say - the only reason not to run from someone with a knife is because you cant

if you can make a good chase of it and and the environment and circumstances allow, run: distance is the only sure defense against a knife

i would put odds on a serious guy with a good knife over almost anyone with a collapsible baton, for instance

in a lot of cases i would choose the knife over a baseball bat

really its the contrast between the individuals that is most important, but i wanted to respond to what could be taken as a "rule" that one should never run from a knife, because imo if running is an option then you should always run

@Adder: throwing knives is not a common skill for people, i wouldnt worry at all about that

its not easy to stick someone if theyre in motion anyway, so even if they can throw knives, to get it right on the first throw on a moving target is pretty tough, and it sacrifices the knife

again its all about the person and the circumstance, but the odds are that they arent going to be able to stop you with throwing their knife

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #241447 by
I would add that you have a far better chance of out running a knife than you do a bullet, and I doubt anyone will have a magazine full of knives they can throw at you in rapid succession. I'd risk a citizenry armed with knives over one with guns any day.

More
7 years 11 months ago #241455 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Citizens with guns
Just a thought I had while reading...

If we look at history, which happens to be a very good teacher, we will find that the ideas of what is needed to conduct war and/or protect oneself evolves with the current technology. And we find that technology does not always provide the best solution.

One example that comes to mind right off hand is the US fighter plane during the Vietnam War. The USwent into this conflict with the idea that our missile technology put us in a position where we no longer needed machine guns in jet fighters. The idea was to use fir-and-forget missile technology to maintain air superiority. The North Vietnamese were using Russian Migs that out performed US planes at the time. This gave them a distinct advantage in dog fighting and long story short, even with just using mounted machine guns they were tearing us up. We would fire missiles we had and then we were completely unarmed. We had to add machine gun pods to planes and do a complete rethink.

What does that have to do with fire arms or carrying fire arms you ask. Give me a sec and I will get to that.

During the colonization of the US, the Europeans found that having firearms gave them a distinct advantage over the Native Americans when it came to firepower. But more importantly, the ability to have, maintain and use firearms greatly improved their chance when exploring, hunting and survival in a new and sometimes hostile environment.

I think that it would be great if we lived in a society where the use of firearms were not necessary. I would still like to have one because I enjoy the sport of shooting. Placing the second round in the same hole the first shot made. That is one challenge I go for every time I go to the shooting range. It is incredibly difficult, challenging and to me… fun.

But, I also live in an area that does have wildlife which is harmful to, if not lethal, to people and pets. Poisonous snakes are a very real threat. I could hack them in half with a shovel if I had the desire to tempt fate by getting that close. Or, I could dispatch it with a round from a shot gun and keep a safe distance. There are also threats to live stock and my family that I have to be prepared for. And having a fire arm would do me no good at all if I were not well practiced in its proper use.

I also believe that we are not alone in the universe. I mean, to have all of that space and we are the only things in it… seems like a terrible waist of space if it were true. And just like when we explore areas on our own planet which we need a way to defend ourselves, I believe that same need would be present even if there were no conflict on Earth. Even if the entire planet and all the peoples on it lived in perfect harmony with each other I would look to the advancement of weapon technology. Not because I hope to use it one day; but, because if, or when, the need arises, I do not want to be an unarmed fighter jet being gunned down by an enemy.

I look forward to the day we meet life from other worlds. I think the exchange of technologies and cultures will be awesome. But I have no plans to be conquered and made a part of another’s food chain or wiped out of existence. Not that I think it would happen... But if I have a way to prepare for it I will.

I know, I sound nuts. :P

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: , , OB1Shinobi, , MadHatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #241637 by

OB1Shinobi wrote:

MadHatter wrote: Running is a good way to get a knife in the back. Longer bludgeoning weapons COULD be a viable option if you know what you are doing.
Thanks for being so civil about it and I hope I didnt come off as rude at any point.

mostly i agree with what youve said in the post i quoted but i have to say - the only reason not to run from someone with a knife is because you cant

if you can make a good chase of it and and the environment and circumstances allow, run: distance is the only sure defense against a knife

i would put odds on a serious guy with a good knife over almost anyone with a collapsible baton, for instance

in a lot of cases i would choose the knife over a baseball bat

really its the contrast between the individuals that is most important, but i wanted to respond to what could be taken as a "rule" that one should never run from a knife, because imo if running is an option then you should always run

@Adder: throwing knives is not a common skill for people, i wouldnt worry at all about that

its not easy to stick someone if theyre in motion anyway, so even if they can throw knives, to get it right on the first throw on a moving target is pretty tough, and it sacrifices the knife

again its all about the person and the circumstance, but the odds are that they arent going to be able to stop you with throwing their knife

My money will always go to the person whose weapon gives them the longest reach. A bat vs a knife, I will go with the bat. Unless you have an untrained fighter with a bat against a trained fighter with a knife. Two trained fighters, bat vs knife, the person with the bat is going to take up a defensive perspective and attack the knife fighters limbs. Nullifying the attackers ability to use their weapon. One decent defensive strike is going to break an arm. Assuming the knife fighter uses their dominant hand, they've not lost their advantage.

More
7 years 11 months ago #241639 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Citizens with guns

6h057 wrote: My money will always go to the person whose weapon gives them the longest reach. A bat vs a knife, I will go with the bat. Unless you have an untrained fighter with a bat against a trained fighter with a knife. Two trained fighters, bat vs knife, the person with the bat is going to take up a defensive perspective and attack the knife fighters limbs. Nullifying the attackers ability to use their weapon. One decent defensive strike is going to break an arm. Assuming the knife fighter uses their dominant hand, they've not lost their advantage.

Right up until the person with the bat over balances due to the heaver weight and slower speed and the knife fighter closes the distance. That is why I said COULD if you know how to use them. A bat is not a fast weapon and unless you know how to use it I guarantee a dodge will be all it takes to close the gap and make the club very hard to use if not end the fight right then and there. Frankly a staff using spear techniques would be better as the spear can be used at close ranges. But thats not the point. My point is that you never want to give people that chance. You do not meet your opponent on equal or near equal footing if you want to live.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 11 months ago #241644 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Citizens with guns
9 out of 10 its not going to be an issue of which weapon is better but an issue of which person is more determined to cause serious harm to the other

discussions about weapon match ups have a way of getting silly, and turning into something that basically amounts to an argument about stats and load outs in a role playing game

the point that i wanted to make is that a person with a knife, if they are standing within about spitting distance - or at least peeing distance depending on how genetically fortunate you are, is perfectly capable of inflicting a fatal wound, regardless of whatever weapon you might have, EVEN A GUN - EVEN A BAT

my post was meant to stress the idea that if youre facing someone with a knife, if it is at all possible to increase the distance between them and you, then generally speaking thats what i would advise you to do

to the idea of using a bo - i was on the same line of thought except that i was not restricting to what a person might realistically carry - so i was imagining a medieval spear

one of the best weapons against a knife is actually another knife, at the end of really big stick lol

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , , MadHatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi