Why do people here feel unimportant?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #231866 by

Wescli Wardest wrote: Which is to help it's membership find their, not our, path of Jediism.

There path of Jediism IS this Temples path.

If it wasn't it wouldn't be so against the rules for other groups to come in and share their path lessons ;)

Why do you think people care so much about the Inner workings of this temple?

Because it is THIS temple that is Guiding their path.

I for one would like to know the car I drive on my Adventure is capable of handling the terrain XD hehe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #231867 by steamboat28

Wescli Wardest wrote: But it was brought up in the “why do people feel unimportant” thread?
:huh:

This thread (as well as the "listening" thread) both stem from a thread that devolved into people feeling dismissed. That dismissal can take many forms, but primarily people don't feel important if they don't feel listened to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Edan, Avalon, , OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #231869 by Wescli Wardest

Trisskar wrote:

Wescli Wardest wrote: Which is to help it's membership find their, not our, path of Jediism.

There path of Jediism IS this Temples path.

If it wasn't it wouldn't be so against the rules for other groups to come in and share their path lessons ;)

Why do you think people care so much about the Inner workings of this temple?

Because it is THIS temple that is Guiding their path.

I for one would like to know the car I drive on my Adventure is capable of handling the terrain XD hehe

So, are you saying that TotJO should tell you how to be a Jedi and what to believe?

And that unless Council tells you every single thing it does, thinks about or even contemplates you won't be convinced your on a path that will get you to the end of your adventure?

The lessons that are approved to be taught here are because they only point you to find your way. Not tell you what way that is. We have no idea what others are teaching and do not want to go through their entire curriculum to find out. So it is not allowed.

TotJO should not be your path. It is just a stepping stone to a path that will lead you on a greater adventure. I can not speak for the Council on this, but in my opinion, no one should put their faith in a thing, virtual or physical. Your path is in you, and we hope to be able to help you discover it. What is talked about in Council rarely has anything to do with your path.

Monastic Order of Knights
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Wescli Wardest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Ben, Alexandre Orion, Carlos.Martinez3

More
8 years 1 month ago #231870 by Wescli Wardest

steamboat28 wrote:

Wescli Wardest wrote: But it was brought up in the “why do people feel unimportant” thread?

This thread (as well as the "listening" thread) both stem from a thread that devolved into people feeling dismissed. That dismissal can take many forms, but primarily people don't feel important if they don't feel listened to.

And yet I have spent a majority of my day at work, not working, but listening to the people. And I feel as if I am only getting confrontation and we are no where closer to a resolution. Perhaps I feel as if I am not being listened to? But, I will still try to be of assistance and help ease the stress of those that feel not listened to.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Adder, Ben, Alexandre Orion, , OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #231871 by
[/quote] And yet I have spent a majority of my day at work, not working, but listening to the people. And I feel as if I am only getting confrontation and we are no where closer to a resolution. Perhaps I feel as if I am not being listened to? But, I will still try to be of assistance and help ease the stress of those that feel not listened to.[/quote]

You're listened too. I know you care. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #231872 by

Council Member wrote: The [topic being discussed in thread] are being discussed in Council at the moment, but as things stand you [topic being discussed in thread] (or wait until the discussion has finished lol).

Honestly, in my opinion, this is all that is needed. You're right, Wescli, that most of us probably wouldn't be too interested in large amounts of what the council talks about. But that's now what we're talking about here.

From my understanding, what people really want is to feel heard. Something as simple as "It is being discussed by the council" is a good step. Or, if it is not going to be discussed, "Here's why it won't be discussed," and it really needs to be beyond, "It's already been discussed." That can certainly be a part of it, but if it was discussed what were the results? That would help.

The second pattern I'm noticing (no longer directed at your post Wescli) is the word "dismissive." People are feeling like their ideas, and ultimately them as people, are being dismissed. That, to me, seems to be more about how things are worded than the actual actions. Actions are part of it, but words are too. We interact in a way in which words are everything. Here the pen (or actually the keyboard) is MUCH mightier than the sword. In a way, the keyboard is our sword here.

About to get lost in a metaphor, gotta pull myself back... :ohmy: :S :pinch:

:cheer:

That means, to me, we all just need to maybe work on not being rude. Some people are more "thick skinned" than others so it's important to remember our audience. As I've said in other threads related to this more specific topic, we (the readers) may also want to work on trying to really figure out if a person meant to be rude or not. Intention is not the only thing that matters, but it does matter. It goes both ways.

Those seem, to me, to be what I'm getting most out of this thread. 1) Acknowledgment that our ideas were heard. 2) People not being rude or dismissive to us.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #231874 by

That dismissal can take many forms, but primarily people don't feel important if they don't feel listened to.

I agree wholeheartedly but is it physically possible to listen to and respond to everyone? This is a fairly large number of people, communication challenges increase geometrically to membership growth.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #231875 by

Wescli Wardest wrote: And yet I have spent a majority of my day at work, not working, but listening to the people. And I feel as if I am only getting confrontation and we are no where closer to a resolution. Perhaps I feel as if I am not being listened to? But, I will still try to be of assistance and help ease the stress of those that feel not listened to.

I thank you for doing so. In my opinion, the very fact that you are here and you are listening helps. Your interaction with us shows that you, and by extension the Council, cares. I hope that you do not see my above comments as combative in any way as they were not meant to be.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #231876 by

Wescli Wardest wrote: And I feel as if I am only getting confrontation

Hmm.... Well, I apologize for my part in your stress. If you are at work, perhaps you should focus on that until you are in a better environment to discuss :) Because....That was all i was doing....Just talking, discussing, musing.

I never meant to "Confront" you.

And In actually I am actually listening to you ;) I get what you are saying.....I have lead several groups and been on other councils. I totally GET what you are saying :)

I think though....That you are not listening to me. As is evident in your last post to me and your extremely exaggerated commentary.

No one ( I sure didn't) say we have to know all the details.... (I) would just like to know the ground basics as I outlined it several posts back. It sure would help me to know what you (the council) is discussing so that (I) can better understand the topics when they are presented so that we can maybe avoid re-hashing old things ;)

Thats all. :)

But, since this commentary is stressful to you. I will pull back and go back to working on my Kata Kitty ^_^ My daughter is sick with fever so I find I have maybe too much time on my hands today.

*bows* Have a great day Wescli Wardest! Good luck with work!

More
8 years 1 month ago #231944 by OB1Shinobi

Wescli Wardest wrote:

steamboat28 wrote:

And yet I have spent a majority of my day at work, not working, but listening to the people. And I feel as if I am only getting confrontation and we are no where closer to a resolution. Perhaps I feel as if I am not being listened to? But, I will still try to be of assistance and help ease the stress of those that feel not listened to.

i wanted to also say THANK YOU for this - i honestly would not want anyone to compromise their day to day obligations in order "listen to my feelings" lol over the internet, if i knew thats what they were doing i would likely say "well we can talk later", but this willingness to hear people out makes all the difference

a lot of times we broadcast a fair bit of noise along with our signal, or I certainly do anyway, and i guess the essence of "active listening" is that willingness to find and understand the signal, which is well demonstrated here and is much appreciated

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi