Why do people here feel unimportant?

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #231772 by ren
Why should you feel important?

(Edit: hadn't seen Streen's post, I guess him and I are saying the same thing)

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by ren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Amaya, OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #231773 by

Adi wrote:

Dechlain wrote: To me it is profanity in forum posts which debases all of us.

That's your biggest concern, in response to all of the valid and real concerns posted in this thread? Profanity in a forum post?

So... let me make sure I have this right. A swear word used by someone who was angry (and is also notoriously sweary to begin with) is more important to you than:

• Kit's feelings of trivialization by people who hold authority/rank here?
• People telling OB1Shinobi to shut up instead of engaging him on his points and discussing them?
• elizabeth being dismissed by people that are "dominant in the forums presently and ... made to feel that [she] should not be here"?
• Lykeios pointing out that members of this community have attitudes that don't befit their status, and that suggestions are often shot down out of hand?
• steamboat explaining that "we're petty, mean, cliquish, self-important, attached to tradition, afraid of change, and exclusive"?
• The various problems I listed in my post, such as cliquishness, nastiness, intolerance and poor settlement of disputes?

Lets respect that we each have different contributions to the conversation and that nobody's contribution is worth less than another's. I will not allow you to act as if Dechlain's contribution is less worthy than yours, because it isn't. It's only that way to YOU and you are not the deciding factor on what should matter to the rest of us.

That's actually kind of the point of this whole thread.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #231774 by

ren wrote: Why should you feel important?

That is an excellent question, i have been wondering about that myself, the thing is , i want to matter , i want to see that my input is helping the Temple , i want a lot of things, i like it when people show me some love, is that selfish , yeah it is , do i need it , yep . to a certain extend , do i get upset if i dont get it .. yeah to some degree , do i blame other , nope ...this is my problem to a certain degree , and if i blame someone they are a pm away ...and i adress them .. and hope that they see my point

More
8 years 1 month ago #231785 by Wescli Wardest
This is a story I’d like to share…
There was a musician in an orchestra, setting at rehearsal one day, looking around at all the other instruments while they were playing. Some, like the Tuba were big and shiny. Some, like the bright and played a lot like the trumpets and French horns. There were rows of clarinets and violins and flutes. And at the front was the ever impressive conductor; leading them all with his baton waving in the air as he peered over his huge music stand buried with page after page of scores. So many voices and so many musicians… and he looked down at the tiny piccolo in his hands and thought, “my instrument is so small and unimportant; and, I don’t play that often...”

So the next day he decided he was going to skip rehearsal and go to the movies instead. And during rehearsal the music was playing, the conductor waved his baton and all was good. For a few seconds. Then the conductor violently flailed the baton over his head and repeatedly declared, in a loud voice, “STOP, stop, stop, stop!” He leaned over the scores of music littering his music stand and scowled back and forth, eying each member, looking for the missing voice.

You see, even though the piccolo is small and does not always play, it is a critical voice in the harmony, even carrying the melody at times. And even though there may only be one, the music is not complete without it. And the sound is not whole.

[hr]
When we step back and look at it, the Universe is in a constant state of harmony; which is because of Balance. Balance is the struggle between two forces. Peace is when neither of the two forces has greater influence; when they are in stale mate.

Attachment hc5d522e.jpg not found

When we look at the yin yang we see a good representation of the Universe. Not that it is equal parts but the influence of each part. Darkness envelopes everything. But there is light. Light, the stars, are like wisdom and knowledge which lights the way into the dark for us as we explore and reach further into the unknown. We are like the planets. We reflect the light and show all the bodies around us; the moons, belts and other cosmic entities which share our orbit or path.

Even in the depths of space, we can still see the lights of distant stars, illuminating the void around us. Even when setting in the deepest, darkest parts of our universe, the light is still visible if even barely.

When we find ourselves there, let us not despair in our current predicament but rather let us head back toward the light. Seek the knowledge and wisdom to understand where we are and what is there for us. And find solace in knowing that even though we feel so very far away and small in such a great and expansive universe that we are there; we do matter and each one of has some part to do, some reason for being there.

Whether we realize it or not, each of us is important. And we each face our own difficulties at times. Sometimes it helps to be reminded that we are not in this alone and that there are always others there that can either help, or need help. And that is one place our strength shines bright.

Monastic Order of Knights
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Avalon, Breeze el Tierno, , ,

More
8 years 1 month ago #231787 by Kit
Warning: Spoiler!

(spoilered for length)

it's not so much feeling important. Lets change the words up a little then. lets turn it into worth. I have a value. And I damn sure know what it is. But does the Temple? Not with the way it's been acting.

Take a relationship. You have Tom over here who's sitting on his computer day in and day out.
Kelly (his partner) comes in and says "Hey Tom, I have a legitimate concern about some of the things you are doing."
Tom replies "Eh, just deal with it."
"Hey, Tom, I seriously think we need to talk. I'm not feeling valued in our relationship."
Tom hardly glances at Kelly and replies "Well, you can't please everybody."

Do you know what someone who values their own worth does in a relationship like that? They walk. I spent 30 years in a relationship like that. Where my worth wasn't valued. It was belittled and sacrificed for the other's. Do you know what I did when I finally figured it out? After talking didn't work, I told my 'mother' she was not welcome in my life. She was not to contact me or my family ever again. And I left to work the rest of the way through the abuse.

I've spent nearly THREE YEARS at this Temple and I don't remember how many times I've paused and thought "Is this worth it? Am I valued here?" I can tell you the last time. It was when it took a breath over a month without a word on what was going on with my Knighthood Trials. I wondered "If it takes this long, do they really want me?" Do you know what would have helped? A timeline in the FAQ, some word about what's going on or how it was done. ANYTHING. I had to ask for information from two people. But if there was some TRANSPARENCY I would have been fine. I'm not asking to know everything that's going on in the Council. I don't need to. All I'm asking is to be treated as a decent human being. A little bit of common courtesy. I'm STILL waiting to hear back on a proposal I made two months ago.

I don't need to be hand fed. I don't need someone to tell me "Hey, you're a valuable asset to this temple" most days. I KNOW what I bring to the table. I KNOW what I can do. But when I've spent the last six months working solo in a position that requires at LEAST two people trying to hold things together with paracord and wishes. I'm the primary caretaker for a toddler so I get LITTERALY (not the figuratively version) an HOUR to myself at home before I have to go to bed. And then I come here. Someone brings up a problem, I add my voice to the mix. And then I get told "Shut up and color." "Eh, can't please everyone."... I've spent too long being quiet due to giving too much respect to rank. Things need to change here. This total lack of respect, lack of empathy, lack of concern from the higher ranks, real or not, it's perceived... I know I'm not the only person who feels that their value is considered worthless here (no not all the time). I know there are people who would miss me if I left. But I feel that the Temple wouldn't give two shits about what it lost. What it drove away.

I made a comment here that it would be my loss if I left the Temple, Akkarin replied that it would also be the Temples loss... I'll be honest. I cried. My daughter had gotten me up at 4am after being unable to fall asleep until 11. I was facing going back to work already over tired, sick, and stressed beyond my limits to the point I told my supervisor that if I didn't get a break, I would break. And then to have my concerns, if not exactly pissed on, dismissed out of hand by prominent and respected people of rank here.

You know, with eight words Akkarin single-handedly managed to turn my day around. I was ready to walk into Mental Health that morning and fuck all that was going on at work. Not only did I make it through the day, but because of Akkarin's compassion, I had the strength to pull some good out of it too. Because of him I didn't just survive the day, I enjoyed parts of it.

I'm standing here telling you how I feel about this place. I LOVE the ideals of the Temple. I want to be apart of it, I want to be what helps it grow. With every fiber of my being, my spirit, I believe this place can be great. I don't care if my ideas aren't implemented. If I think the walls should be painted a vibrant purple and everyone else is happy with the mushroom, then that's perfectly fine. But I want someone to say "You know, let's talk about this purple thing..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Edan, Avalon and 3 other people also said thanks.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #231789 by
Hey all. I thought I'd pipe in a little bit.

When I first started I was full of awe and amazement. This was bit, this was the place! I had some nice folk greeting me on the forums and in chat. I felt very welcomed. About a month in that feeling vanished. I felt kind of ignored and looked over. No one responded to some of my posts and others looked down on them with witty and clever brush offs. There is definitely a supremely issue here.
The other shoe. I've earned some reputation and I find myself doing the same things that bugged me. Recently I decided I couldn't do it anymore. When someone says something different or you believe it wrong, you still need to be respectful. I've seen comments such as "that's the stupidest thing I've ever seen you post.". WTF is that?
Disagreement can breed amazing discussion but it can also scar people. I'm not saying we need to be PC all the time but a little etiquette wouldn't hurt.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #231796 by
I agree about etiquette - but I think courtesy should go beyond simple politeness (which I am guilty of chucking out the window too many times.) For example, I hate that people use the rant thread to passive-aggressively attack other users — nothing constructive could ever come of that. This is another component to the general nastiness of this community that I mentioned that transcends where it is usually found (political discussions.)

And you know, I had the exact same experience starting off - a month of feeling welcomed and being in awe/amazement, and then that feeling wearing off. Since then, it's been an on/off struggle to stay. There are forces compelling me to move along as well as reasons that oblige me to stay. Despite all I've written in this thread, in general the latter outweigh the former. But there are days where it's not so simple.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #231801 by

Snowy Aftermath wrote: There is an overwhelming feeling of "if you don't like it, leave" here. It is repeated often (it is in the FAQ, for pity's sake) to people who just want to help. Nobody in a position of power should EVER say "suck it up" or worse "Jedi up" (which is so offensive, I can't even express it) to anyone else.

Compassion. Compassion, compassion, compassion. Empathy. Please. From YOU. Whoever you are.

oh my. I've made a huge mistake. When I was talking about the term "Jedi up" in a negative way here, I was not IN ANY WAY talking about the beautiful post written here: https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jediism/114160-being-a-jedi-when-it-s-hard by Cabur Senaar. I feel just awful about the accidental connection between the two.

If you haven't read that post, please do. Cabur explains his idea beautifully and I agree with him completely.

Again, I am so sorry. It was absolutely a coincidence.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #231802 by
Ok. Less than 24 hours. 6 pages. Some very, very good points brought up.

Now, if it's okay with everyone, I would like to shift the discussion just a little to answer the questions "What would make you feel more important or more valued?" (thanks for the idea on changing the wording Kit ;) )

This can be things that others can do and things that you think that you yourself can do. I have seen multiple posts say "I know that it's partly my issue." Most people come here looking for some self improvement and I see a chance for that here. We're here to help with that in any way that we can. I also see some opportunity for improvement of this community.

I don't want to see blame here. No names. No specific calling out. I know that this is very similar to the initial question but I believe that it is a subtle difference that warrants it's own answering. If a mod feels that it's a different enough conversation to create it's own thread than by all means do so.

Let's hear some constructive ideas for improvement.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #231804 by

Adi wrote: I agree about etiquette - but I think courtesy should go beyond simple politeness (which I am guilty of chucking out the window too many times.) For example, I hate that people use the rant thread to passive-aggressively attack other users — nothing constructive could ever come of that. This is another component to the general nastiness of this community that I mentioned that transcends where it is usually found (political discussions.)

Do you really not get that some people are talking about themselves in that thread?

Stop taking everything in the world personally, Adi. You're only hurting yourself.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi