Why do people here feel unimportant?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233707 by

I will, however, begin to report every instance I see of this (whether it be private or public) to the moderators and John. Only from this moment forward. Perhaps this will correct itself. If it is so systemic as I and Steam believe, it won't be long before you see your inboxes light up soon.

Look like there's a new sheriff in town? :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233723 by
In my experience this is called Command Climate, or in this case, Temple Climate. It is never easy to fix and takes time. The people that have to fix this is the entire populous of this Temple.

We must all be mindful of our words and actions.

We must all strive to do better. It is not always easy to do. habit is a hard thing to break.

The climate will only grow and fester if it remains unchanged. People will assume it is "Okay" to act this way if it is not addressed.

Some may not even know they are adding to the climate.

Talking to people who do these things must be done in private. It avoids embarrassment and allows the person to correct the behaviour and maybe be more conscious of their actions to avoid this in the future.

We all matter. We all deserve a Temple that we feel comfortable voicing our opinions without feeling like we do not matter or are unimportant.

If you feel you cannot approach the Council members than please contact me. I will help as best I can.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233731 by

Rickie wrote: Look like there's a new sheriff in town? :)

I was asked to call people out. This is my compromise.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233747 by

Connor L. wrote: Here's what I will do for you, since this is important. I will not call out anybody publicly. I will, however, begin to report every instance I see of this (whether it be private or public) to the moderators and John.

Please include me in that list.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233749 by
I will.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233752 by
I now realise that has a double meaning lol, but yes if you see me do it then tell me, but if you see it happen on the forums then let us know so we can help provide another Jedi perspective on the matter.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233759 by

MadHatter wrote:

Warning: Spoiler!

Hatter, I will say that to an extent you are correct. My view of this whole situation is that it is best worked on from both sides.

Those saying that they have been slighted or know of others who have been slighted are correct. We, as a Temple, need to make sure that we are not actively hurting people. That is our responsibility as people and as Jedi. We teach understanding, compassion, and connection. It seems backwards and wrong for us to make people feel unwanted. We are all part of this community, part of the whole. Would we tell our arm that it is unwanted? Even just one of our fingers? No. We value them as a part of ourselves and don't wish to harm them.

On an individual level we also need to make sure that we realize that 1) our worth is not dictated by others, and 2) that it is true that any one of us leaving wouldn't stop the Temple from functioning. That is just the truth no matter how much we'd prefer it not be. That does not mean that we are unimportant, it means that we are a part of a whole. Going back to the arm analogy. Our arms are important to us because it is a part of us. I, for one, would not want to be missing either of mine or even a finger. But I could survive the loss should I lose one. That doesn't mean it's not important to me.

It is a delicate balance that must be maintained at both ends.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233761 by

Goken wrote: It is a delicate balance that must be maintained at both ends.

A balance that has yet to be discovered in the 20+ years of Jedi Online. :dry: And its not just Jedi....it is ANY Community/Group relations I have ever been in. Michigan Homeguard, Vikings, Dagohir, SCA, Pagan....I've been to many around here. I have yet to find a group that can Co-cohesively work together without all the politics :)

It's just human nature ;) Jedi like or not....we are all unique and individual and they will often butt heads. And honestly I don't see a problem with that as long as we continue to maintain a non aggressive atmosphere. :) And perhaps come up with some non political threads to balance things out? ;) I know I am no exception and wil work on posting some fun things....just recovering from a sudden bout of Flue... >_>

More
8 years 1 month ago #233776 by rugadd
Well, people keep getting born, keep growing with different experiences, different bodies, different....everything. We are none of us the same person we were before.

It is a mark of emotional maturity to have patience and tolerance with others and their incomplete perspective, and equally so that we recognize the same failing in ourselves and accept responsibility for it.

"If you think you completely understand something beyond reproach, you are likely misinformed." - Japanese proverb

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Breeze el Tierno,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #233794 by

Trisskar wrote:

Goken wrote: It is a delicate balance that must be maintained at both ends.

Nothing stays perfectly balanced. It's always moves to extremes before going back and through center.

t's just human nature ;)

Yes! It is also human nature to develop: patience, tolerance. Focus on what we have in common and accept our differences!

Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi