Why do people here feel unimportant?

More
8 years 1 month ago #234105 by MadHatter

Kohadre wrote: What I basically got out of that post was,

The temple is too big for its own good, and needs to figure out a way to manage its existing ranks before it plans on growing any larger.

Quickly, if possible.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ok how did you get this? How on earth can you expect everyone to know everyone at all times? I mean really most likely you did not know everyone at your high-school or even in your graduating class. Do you know everyone in the company you work for? What about just the district you work in? In any group that gets beyond fifty or sixty people knowing all the members becomes difficult if not impossible for most people. Especially when we've no faced to match to names nor have we likely even spoken to each person one to one.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #234107 by Manu

Khaos wrote: More and more when I come here, I cant help but feel like many here would fit in at Yale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd4kX66uG1M

I find it incredibly offensive that you would post a vertical video. I'm leaving the Jedi Order... forever! :silly:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
8 years 1 month ago #234139 by rugadd
http://www.ted.com/talks/celeste_headlee_10_ways_to_have_a_better_conversation

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #234169 by Kohadre

MadHatter wrote:

The temple is too big for its own good, and needs to figure out a way to manage its existing ranks before it plans on growing any larger.

Quickly, if possible.

Ok how did you get this? How on earth can you expect everyone to know everyone at all times? I mean really most likely you did not know everyone at your high-school or even in your graduating class. Do you know everyone in the company you work for? What about just the district you work in? In any group that gets beyond fifty or sixty people knowing all the members becomes difficult if not impossible for most people. Especially when we've no faced to match to names nor have we likely even spoken to each person one to one.

You inadvertently just proved my point and reinforced one of the problems contributing to why people feel unimportant here.

If people can't be recognized on the temple, and instead most go ignored, what reason do they have to come here?

EDIT:

And for those throwing out the "special snowflake argument", lets make something clear. People come here with the need to feel special, and as though they are part of something that matters. Telling them that the temple doesn't need them and will be the same without them sends the message that not only are they not special, but that they have absolutely no value to the temple whatsoever.

The people who use this argument in my experience, are some of the most nasty, bitter, disgusting types of people to be around, and in most cases have inferiority complexes of their own that require them to belittle others in order to feel important.

I'm not surprised that so much negativity comes from many of the people on this forum, but I am disappointed because of what they claim to be.

So long and thanks for all the fish
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Kohadre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Edan, OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 1 month ago #234174 by OB1Shinobi

Kohadre wrote:
And for those throwing out the "special snowflake argument", lets make something clear. People come here with the need to feel special, and as though they are part of something that matters. Telling them that the temple doesn't need them and will be the same without them sends the message that not only are they not special, but that they have absolutely no value to the temple whatsoever.

this is the part that got my "thank you"

People are complicated.

More
8 years 1 month ago #234180 by rugadd
It is not realistic to get a real sense of connection and personal value on a forum on the internet. I love this Temple, but that kind of feeling comes from gathering with people whom you share a common moral core. This is one of the reasons that people go to a physical church. Too celebrate life by showing love and concern for each other.

I love the Temple, I love being here, I love what it stands for...but it is not a substitute for real human connection.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #234181 by Jestor

MadHatter wrote:

Quickly, if possible.

You inadvertently just proved my point and reinforced one of the problems contributing to why people feel unimportant here.

If people can't be recognized on the temple, and instead most go ignored, what reason do they have to come here?

[strike]At the risk of sounding like an ass, "how do you suggest fixing it?"[/strike]

Actually, I said it for the humor... lol...

There is no fix, I have a finite amount of time, and energy, not to mention memory...

The way this shoud work, is like a martial arts school...

Lets say I alone am the head of it...

I train 3-5 people, and we become a tight group...

They train 3-5 people each, and become a tight group...

And that second group, yada, and yada...

You get my point...

As I said to another, I dont have the luxury time to chat for fun too often, it takes a lot of effort to give attention to the various tasks to run the temple, and yes, I do spread the work out...:)

I now have someone helping me with the Applications, Youth Forum, Council is a pretty active one, Facebook, name changes, and various other aspects of TOTJO...

AS I spread myself thinner, and thinner, I am probably more their helpers, that they are mine, lol...

But, I have less time to greet the new people, and help them with their questions, and there is a ton of people who now are doing what I was doing singly-handed 5 years ago...

There comes a time when we will not know everyone...

Do you know them all?

I dont know the dude (I guess it was a dude) who just ask me for a name change, but after my little 'hoops', I changed it for him... Not a problem..:)

Not knowing me, (or anyone) shouldnt mean we are unapproachable, not that we hold ourselves in higher regard than we hold anyone else around here...

There are some assholes here, but, just like anything else, to some, I may be one, to others, I am not... And, I hope I have more that think I am not, and if not, I just need to be shown this, and will step down... :) ...

EDIT:

The people who use this argument in my experience, are some of the most nasty, bitter, disgusting types of people to be around, and in most cases have inferiority complexes of their own that require them to belittle others in order to feel important.

I'm not surprised that so much negativity comes from many of the people on this forum, but I am disappointed because of what they claim to be.

No sir, I beg to differ... :P

Well, with part of that... You are right, TOTJO needs the people, the people dont really need totjo, Im sure there are other sites equally as helpful.. We are one of many... And I tell peole that... I thank people for joining, or it be me, and 10 other people pulling each others ____, and promoting ourselves to 'high muckity mucks of the muck'... Which, despite how folks THINK things go around here, isnt really true, lol... :)

People come here for two major reasons, 1. they feel that this spiritual course is the closest yet to their path, 2. they have always wanted to be a jedi...

I joined cause I was lost, and needed a little guidance, I dont want to be special... This was the closest to my spiritual path... lol..

And, after finding what I need, I decided to help others find what they need.... I dont have answewrs for everyone, but, I'll tag along and help look for them...:)

Im not nice... I dont cater to the 'snowflakes', much...

You ask my Apprentices, I do not judge mistakes and those who have problems, but I dont let them slide on things either...

No 'poor me' parties in Jestor's Circus... lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Edan, , MadHatter

More
8 years 1 month ago #234183 by rugadd
I want to add to that, that I don't mean to say that we shouldn't show support, acceptance, and an uplifting perspective. We have clergy for that specifically. Recognizing and supplying emotional support, spiritual guidance, and advice on personal problems IS something we can expect here.

The individual, however, should take responsibility for the well being as well. I have many suggestions for improving attitude. I have been studying and implementing them for a while now and anyone should feel free to PM me if they like(though I am not clergy, I care)

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #234186 by

nd for those throwing out the "special snowflake argument", lets make something clear. People come here with the need to feel special, and as though they are part of something that matters. Telling them that the temple doesn't need them and will be the same without them sends the message that not only are they not special, but that they have absolutely no value to the temple whatsoever.

So let me get this straight. Its not the people who are complaining about how important they dont feel...on an internet forum, that have inferiority complexes?

If you have come here with the need to feel special, then you have made some bad choices so far in life and no, coming here to feel special is not a solution. Great that you want to be a part of something, but the motivation, and as evidence would point the subsequent inability of a forum to live up to such (how could it?) expectations is unhealthy for an individual seeking to be here for such reasons.

Your surprised by the negativity? Im surprised by peoples willingness to enable such behavior.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #234189 by

rugadd wrote: http://www.ted.com/talks/celeste_headlee_10_ways_to_have_a_better_conversation

Clicking the "gracias" button is not enough. Thank you for sharing this, brother.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi