Why do people here feel unimportant?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #234189 by

rugadd wrote: http://www.ted.com/talks/celeste_headlee_10_ways_to_have_a_better_conversation

Clicking the "gracias" button is not enough. Thank you for sharing this, brother.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #234193 by

Snowy Aftermath wrote:

rugadd wrote: I love the Temple, I love being here, I love what it stands for...but it is not a substitute for real human connection.

Breaking my self-imposed silence only to say that this is true. But online human interaction is all that some people have. And we should go out of our way to make everyone feel loved and needed, even if we don't know that circumstance about them.

I barely get in as much time I would like with my own wife and son. I doubt I have the capacity, much less the desire, to make everyone at ToTJO feel special. Also, only a handful of individuals here are in any way on the radar of note for me. Why should I pretend otherwise?

The sensation of potency is not the same as the possession of potency.-Darth Draconis

I refuse to blow smoke up peoples backsides to make them feel better.

Get better, that should be the goal, especially if the online world controls your emotional responses to such a degree.

As opposed to blaming members here, perhaps its best to admit that your not responsible enough yet to use the internet for such methods of communication. It cannot fill certain holes and emotional/psychological problems.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #234196 by

Khaos wrote:

Snowy Aftermath wrote:

rugadd wrote: I love the Temple, I love being here, I love what it stands for...but it is not a substitute for real human connection.

Breaking my self-imposed silence only to say that this is true. But online human interaction is all that some people have. And we should go out of our way to make everyone feel loved and needed, even if we don't know that circumstance about them.

I barely get in as much time I would like with my own wife and son. I doubt I have the capacity, much less the desire, to make everyone at ToTJO feel special. Also, only a handful of individuals here are in any way on the radar of note for me. Why should I pretend otherwise?

The sensation of potency is not the same as the possession of potency.-Darth Draconis

Get better, that should be the goal, especially if the online world controls your emotional responses to such a degree.

As opposed to blaming members here, perhaps its best to admit that your not responsible enough yet to use the internet for such methods of communication. It cannot fill certain holes and emotional/psychological problems.

This attitude of superiority is exactly what we need to avoid. Don't take personal problems out on others, and don't join the temple if you don't plan to take its approach with an open heart. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, it brings down those who are.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #234202 by

M Gray wrote:

Khaos wrote:

Snowy Aftermath wrote:

This attitude of superiority is exactly what we need to avoid. Don't take personal problems out on others, and don't join the temple if you don't plan to take its approach with an open heart. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, it brings down those who are.

Attitude of superiority? I cant even post in all the forums members can...

Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
8 years 1 month ago #234204 by Edan
I think perhaps this thread is going around in circles....

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd,

More
8 years 1 month ago #234205 by Zenchi

M Gray wrote:

Khaos wrote:

Snowy Aftermath wrote:

I don't see this as a product of a superiority complex. This isn't a mental hospital folks, a lot of people come here with problems, real problems that we can't begin to address or fix, it's not the Temple's job. That may sound harsh, but think about it before jumping to conclusions before replying.

The focus of this site should not be coodling members with mental and social issues, it is a church and school, where individuals learn to become Jedi so they may take what they've learned here and apply in the real world. I see so many people coming here who are using the temple as their own voice box or trying to make the temple about their own personal problems and drama. That's not what the focus of this site should be. We are not shrinks.

The training is hard, some of the social interactions and situations can be difficult, this is designed to give you the tools to empower yourself and assist others in the world around you thus making your small part of the world a better place. If the Temple bends over and caters to the whim of every broken snowflake coming in, we are not doing them a service, and the temple grows weaker in attempts at making everyone feel important.

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, rugadd,

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #234206 by rugadd
Concerning going in circles...

I don't think anyone is qualified to say "Okay we're done."

So long as there is interest and it doesn't get to...rude?...it will likely continue.

rugadd
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by rugadd. Reason: clarity

More
8 years 1 month ago #234207 by Edan

rugadd wrote: I don't think anyone is qualified to say "Okay we're done."

So long as there is interest and it doesn't get to...rude?...it will likely continue.

I didn't say it was done... I was just making an observation.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, rugadd,

More
8 years 1 month ago #234208 by rugadd
I apologize. I did not intend offense.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 1 month ago #234209 by Zenchi
Let's keep it on topic guys, please...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade