How many practice telekinesis?

More
8 years 4 months ago #212836 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic How many practice telekinesis?
If I might offer my $0.02 here, Yabu, I know you're feeling picked on and it's hard but you're asking people to have an open mind, but not showing one yourself.

In my experience, in a very tight definition there is such a thing as magick/Force/spirit. The only proof I have is what I can show myself. I practice a form of shamanism. But I find telekinesis hard to swallow. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I've never seen proof of that power and I don't know anyone I trust who has either.

But on the flip side, as I honor the spirits, I also honor science. I know some day that science may manage to prove that it's simply the power of the human mind that causes what I think of as magick. It can invent its own memories, it has an effect on how quickly or slowly a person heals, what affects the body, and how a person views a situation. Maybe me journeying to speak with the spirits is simply an internalization of my own self. I accept that possibility. And in the meantime, I'll continue my conversations with the spirits (myself? :) )

Also in the meantime, since this isn't something I can prove to the scientific community, I simply accept that not everyone will believe me and don't (or try not to) take offence when they say so.
The topic has been locked.
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212837 by
Replied by on topic How many practice telekinesis?
I actually thought I was having an open mind being able to accept the possibilities of things like this that exist. I never had practiced psionics but knew those who could and knew psychics (actual psychics) so I know some psionics is true. I feel it's hard to swallow telekinesis even though one accepts magic is because magic doesn't do what psionics does. They are different fields and if one isn't familiar with the other, it can be difficult to accept, even though these are both practices not accepted by scientists. But honestly it is pretty frustrating to see things you know full well that exist and everyone pretty much mocks you for believing in such things even though you know it's real.

But hey I know some scientists that say mercury can be good for the brain in small doses, too, so I take some things with a grain of salt of what some scientists say.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212840 by

I actually thought I was having an open mind being able to accept the possibilities of things like this that exist.

That actually has nothing to do with being open minded.

Believing in "woo" doesnt make one more open minded than someone who doesnt.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #212842 by
As it pertains to this conversation...

My mind is not closed to telekinesis.

I simply will not put stock in it with the lack of evidence.

If the evidence were to change, so would my stance on it.

Asking for evidence, and not taking it on faith, does not make me close minded.

I am willing to change my stance, and in that, I am open minded.

I could be wrong. There is no evidence to say that I am, and until there is, I will hold my stance.

As nothing in this lengthy thread has proven otherwise.

Still, I could be wrong.( I have even offered you the chance to show that I am)

Can you?
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by .
More
8 years 4 months ago #212847 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic How many practice telekinesis?
I feel that an open mind doesn't exclude fact and tolerates other people's beliefs. I don't feel you're not being understanding of other people's beliefs or disbeliefs. You're trying to convince people of something outside of their own belief structure and it feels like you're excluding science completely? I may be off here though :). Granted we're not making it easy on you either. I'm not really sure how to put this into words I think. Sorry I'm not trying to pick on you :) I think I just see you with the same frustrations I use to have trying to explain myself and what I believe in. I always ended up in that loop and got more and more upset. It just seems that you're feeling personally insulted because someone believes differently than you do. And it doesn't help either side much that you can't provide enough solid evidence to go off of.

I think I just wanted to let you know that I do understand and here's another person who believes in a few things that science hasn't gotten to yet. (Just not all of them :) )

I see a lot of people in both extremes. "%*&( Science! This is all magic!" and "Pfft...there is no magic. The only real things in life can be explain scientifically." And I'm just sitting here in the middle coloring quietly to myself ;)

Aand I think most of that was just babbling...hopefully something in there makes sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, OB1Shinobi
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #212856 by Zenchi
This thread is getting old, time to call prince Valium and put it to sleep. I try as hell not to derail threads but damn, people need to lighten up and get a hobby...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Zenchi.
More
8 years 4 months ago #212857 by Adder
Or lets propose a simple scientific framework to test it to try and prove it... ya know bring both sides together ;)

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Zenchi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212868 by
I'm really surprised, sort of, this thread has gone on so long. Where is the spiritualism in all this posts?

Let it go.
More
8 years 4 months ago #212876 by Angelus
It is all too easy, mistaking skepticism for cynicism.

It is all too easy to be baited into arguments that spiral into 10 page forum threads...

You cannot open a mind that desires nothing more than to remain closed...

Arguing that telekinesis isnt real will not benefit someone who will disagree simply because they dont want to believe otherwise, and certainly is not likely to benefit even the most talented contender. Save elegant reasoning and sophisticated prose for the real issues, friends.

Jedi Knight
Former Masters: Mark Anjuu, Zanthan Storm, Br. John, Grom Fett
More
8 years 4 months ago #212877 by OB1Shinobi

Kamizu wrote: I feel that an open mind doesn't exclude fact and tolerates other people's beliefs. I don't feel you're not being understanding of other people's beliefs or disbeliefs. You're trying to convince people of something outside of their own belief structure and it feels like you're excluding science completely? I may be off here though :). Granted we're not making it easy on you either. I'm not really sure how to put this into words I think. Sorry I'm not trying to pick on you :) I think I just see you with the same frustrations I use to have trying to explain myself and what I believe in. I always ended up in that loop and got more and more upset. It just seems that you're feeling personally insulted because someone believes differently than you do. And it doesn't help either side much that you can't provide enough solid evidence to go off of.

I think I just wanted to let you know that I do understand and here's another person who believes in a few things that science hasn't gotten to yet. (Just not all of them :) )

I see a lot of people in both extremes. "%*&( Science! This is all magic!" and "Pfft...there is no magic. The only real things in life can be explain scientifically." And I'm just sitting here in the middle coloring quietly to myself ;)

Aand I think most of that was just babbling...hopefully something in there makes sense.

this post is worth all ten pages of this conversation

thanks Kamizu!

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit
Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi