How many practice telekinesis?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212799 by
Replied by on topic How many practice telekinesis?
No, there is no misunderstanding, and one facilitates the other.

Proof
noun \ˈprüf\

: something which shows that something else is true or correct

: an act or process of showing that something is true

mathematics : a test which shows that a calculation is correct
6 of our favorite terms
for money and luxury »
Full Definition of PROOF
a : the cogency of evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or a fact
b : the process or an instance of establishing the validity of a statement especially by derivation from other statements in accordance with principles of reasoning
obsolete : experience
: something that induces certainty or establishes validity
archaic : the quality or state of having been tested or tried; especially : unyielding hardness
: evidence operating to determine the finding or judgment of a tribunal
a plural proofs or proof : a copy (as of typeset text) made for examination or correction
b : a test impression of an engraving, etching, or lithograph
c : a coin that is struck from a highly polished die on a polished planchet, is not intended for circulation, and sometimes differs in metallic content from coins of identical design struck for circulation
d : a test photographic print made from a negative
: a test applied to articles or substances to determine whether they are of standard or satisfactory quality
a : the minimum alcoholic strength of proof spirit
b : strength with reference to the standard for proof spirit; specifically : alcoholic strength indicated by a number that is twice the percent by volume of alcohol present <whiskey of 90 proof is 45

Evidence

a : an outward sign : indication
b : something that furnishes proof : testimony; specifically : something legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter
: one who bears witness; especially : one who voluntarily confesses a crime and testifies for the prosecution against his accomplices
— in evidence
: to be seen : conspicuous <trim lawns … are everywhere in evidence — American Guide Series: North Carolina>
: as evidence
The topic has been locked.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212803 by
Sorry, Khaos mentioned Criss Angel and it made me think of this video

It's actually David Blaine, but it's the same general idea. I just love Harrison Ford's reaction. :woohoo: :laugh:

Sorry if the video doesn't work. My work computer won't let me actually play it to test it. If not here's the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB0wzy-xbwM

It's only two minutes long and totally worth it.
More
8 years 4 months ago #212804 by Zenchi

Goken wrote: Sorry, Khaos mentioned Criss Angel and it made me think of this video

It's actually David Blaine, but it's the same general idea. I just love Harrison Ford's reaction. :woohoo: :laugh:

Sorry if the video doesn't work. My work computer won't let me actually play it to test it. If not here's the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB0wzy-xbwM

It's only two minutes long and totally worth it.

That was downright hilarious, thank you!

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You:
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212806 by

Khaos wrote: No, there is no misunderstanding, and one facilitates the other.

Proof
noun \ˈprüf\

: something which shows that something else is true or correct

: an act or process of showing that something is true

mathematics : a test which shows that a calculation is correct
6 of our favorite terms
for money and luxury »
Full Definition of PROOF
a : the cogency of evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or a fact
b : the process or an instance of establishing the validity of a statement especially by derivation from other statements in accordance with principles of reasoning
obsolete : experience
: something that induces certainty or establishes validity
archaic : the quality or state of having been tested or tried; especially : unyielding hardness
: evidence operating to determine the finding or judgment of a tribunal
a plural proofs or proof : a copy (as of typeset text) made for examination or correction
b : a test impression of an engraving, etching, or lithograph
c : a coin that is struck from a highly polished die on a polished planchet, is not intended for circulation, and sometimes differs in metallic content from coins of identical design struck for circulation
d : a test photographic print made from a negative
: a test applied to articles or substances to determine whether they are of standard or satisfactory quality
a : the minimum alcoholic strength of proof spirit
b : strength with reference to the standard for proof spirit; specifically : alcoholic strength indicated by a number that is twice the percent by volume of alcohol present <whiskey of 90 proof is 45

Evidence

a : an outward sign : indication
b : something that furnishes proof : testimony; specifically : something legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter
: one who bears witness; especially : one who voluntarily confesses a crime and testifies for the prosecution against his accomplices
— in evidence
: to be seen : conspicuous <trim lawns … are everywhere in evidence — American Guide Series: North Carolina>
: as evidence

Evidence is something that may lead to proof. It may not.
Evidence: there is blood on the floor. That is a FACT
What does it prove? There is blood on the floor. Period
It might prove or lead to proof that someone was hurt there
Or that someone purposely put blood there to lead someone else to a conclusion that is not a FACT.
Proof is what you get after you have examined the evidence(s) and linked them together correctly.
Otherwise, you have a pile of unrelated facts. Like 1) There is blood on the floor. 2) The wall is orange. 3) Pink is a mix of red and white.4 )My mother's name is Mary.
All evidence, all facts, all proof of nothing beyond themselves.

Evidence and proof are not the same thing no matter how much people want it to be. If such abilities don't exist, where did people even come up with the idea? Where did the idea come from in the first place?
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212814 by
Where did the idea come from? Uh, hmm, how about... people's imaginations? Are you seriously suggesting that if we can imagine it, it must be true?

Right that's it, I'm off to Hogwarts.

Meanwhile:

More
8 years 4 months ago #212816 by Gisteron
So by your definition there cannot ever be evidence of something, because evidence are facts from which little to nothing can ever be concluded. But then proof is whatever a 'correct' alignment of evidence is, so I guess we can transcend the locality of proof to evidence as well.

Let's just take your definitions, allow me to formulate them and please correct me if they are wrong: Evidence is "Something that may or may not lead to proof." And, respectively, proof is "What you get after you have examined and linked all evidence together correctly." with 'correctly' remaining unspecified for now.
Technically the definitions are formulated in such a way that there can be both evidence of proof of every thinkable claim and of its opposite simultaneously, so I'd say your definitions are incoherent, but let's for the sake of entertainment use them anyway.
Since anecdotes cannot be linked together correctly, they don't count. Personal experiences or revelations are personal, so they cannot possibly ever be examined, and thus don't count either. Logical fallacies are arguments and not pieces of data, so they can neither be examined nor by virtue of being illogical can they be linked together, so they don't count.
Now, would you kindly finally present us with something that may or may not lead to what you get after you have examined and linked all of that something together correctly of telekinesis? Let's hear your evidence! ;)
I think this is fair, I think you have nothing to object to with this. We are now using your very own definitions of evidence and of proof and asking that you kindly present the former. So, please, go ahead...

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212821 by
The thing that I find interesting is that people have to have "All or nothing"

Telekinesis is the : By definition - "the supposed ability to move objects at a distance by mental power or other nonphysical means."

We insist that it HAS to be some mystical means of doing so. Otherwise it is not real....However....That rule is no where in the defining base of what Telekinesis is. :) It is simply what Fiction and Sci Fi films, books, novels and Myths make it out to be.

Why isn't Chris Angles method Legit enough? Because he uses smokes, mirrors and deception to make the viewer believe he did it with his mind?

Whats the difference really? Part of being a good Mystic is the ability of using your environment to your advantage. How that is done is simply dependant on the practitioner.

In my opinion. *Shrugs*

Just thinking out loud.

Greed is the topic of this month after all ;) All or nothing....isn't really helping anyone here is it?
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #212823 by

tzb wrote: Where did the idea come from? Uh, hmm, how about... people's imaginations? Are you seriously suggesting that if we can imagine it, it must be true?

Right that's it, I'm off to Hogwarts.

Meanwhile:

What are you talking about? It's pretty obvious Harry Potter based it's ideas of magic, which is practiced. Of course they don't do the magic Harry Potter does, but it's pretty obvious they based the idea on real magic that's been practiced for thousands of years. And there were stories that existed long before that talked about such abilities and it wasn't to entertain, like Harry Potter was designed. People just come up with the idea of telekinesis because they want to do it for the lolz? Yeah that makes sense. Did you forget that Nicolas Flamel was a person that existed in history, who Harry Potter talked about? Alchemy has been practiced, too as well as many magical practices. Tell me what sense does it make that an art like that doesn't exist even though people practiced it for thousands of years. Don't you think if nothing happened when performing magic, they would stop using it or telekinesis or anything else? Do you really think people are going to keep practicing an art that amounts to nothing for centuries?

Nevertheless I don't expect many to believe it. But lots of those who disbelieve have never had experience themselves or know little about how the art is supposed to be practiced. Don't blame them as I wasn't knowledgeable at first either.

But common sense should play a part. Such as when people have claimed to use it and/or experienced it. Such as with aliens abducting people. Do you think every single one of those abductions was fake and they all wanted to do it for attention and for the lulz? What sense does that make? It never occurred to anyone that due to multiple people practicing it or experiencing it, that maybe there is truth to it?

People won't believe me but I'll just throw in another experience anyway. People can say I'm making it up but this is what happened.

My brother was injured at one point in time by accidently cutting his face by swinging an electrical plug. He was 3 years old and didn't know better and ended up hurting himself and the doctor said it'd take time to heal. One of my relatives who knew crystals used a certain crystal, said a prayer and waved it around his eye when he was sleeping in an attempt to heal him. Surprisingly his wound dramatically healed. It wasn't 100% healed but most of it healed the next day and even the doctor himself couldn't believe it went by that fast. And we've sustained injuries as well as he in similar areas and they never healed as fast unless a crystal was used.

I could go on and on with stories like that but I guess everyone assumes I'm just making it up for no reason or it was all some sort of mass hallucination.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by .
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212825 by

Do you think every single one of those abductions was fake and they all wanted to do it for attention and for the lulz?

I think you should watch the recent documentary "Mirage Men."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfR18lm4ADs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #212827 by
Nevertheless this isn't about believing whether it's real or not but if anyone studies it or practices it. If anyone wants to say such things aren't real they are entitled to their opinion but personally I find it rude to say it out load in a thread like that. Such as in religious thread, if I just butt in and say "Religion is a lie, lolz". If you didn't believe, why write a comment proclaiming you disbelieve? How does that add anything to the thread? Besides their opinion won't change mine. Or with aliens or anything paranormal. If I had an alien encounter and someone says aliens don't exist, do you really think I'm going to believe you and shrug my shoulders and say "Yeah that was all just a crazy kooky hallucination that happened out of nowhere." I don't think so.

But in this thread I am glad at least a few actually answered my question.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by .
Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi