Myths?

More
11 years 5 months ago #81919 by MCSH
Replied by MCSH on topic Re: Myths?
I remember this sentence was written in Timus website (an ACM website):

"Every problem has a fast, easy, wrong answer"

Yours isn't wrong, but there are better answers out there...think again maybe :)

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81929 by
Replied by on topic Re: Myths?
You think so?

Then why ask? hahaha.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #82068 by
Hehe great discussion guys, i'm glad so many have such great input into the idea of Myths. Hmmmmmm where to begin with Myths...... oh i know, lets start from the beginning!

Do you know the one indisputable difference between Humanity and the rest of Nature? Some say its the ability to construct, but you see birds-monkeys-ants-etc. building enormous structures all the time. Others say it's our ability to Love, although dolphins have been known to pick life long partners and mourn for them when they die, as well as apes and so do elephants. In all actuality the one quality that separates us from the Animal Kingdom is..... Our ability to tell Stories !!!

The defining moment for early man was when they went out for their daily hunt and happened to look down upon these animal footprints they were hunting and through their form of communication was able to relay to his hunting partner a detailed description of what animal it is, how big it is, how fast and what direction it was going.
That fact alone is what projects us into the evolutionary record books, because from there you develop Myth and of course from Myth you get Culture

You can track the beginning of Culture, almost every time, to the camp fire. The camp fire is where the stories would be shared, the long and exciting day of tracking down pray or the gathering of berries or the weaving of baskets or the playing of children, would all be shared around the camp fire- consequently creating Culture! As we see today the few remaining tribes that are still around all center around fire circles, especially for social events and ritualistic dances, which is obviously what keeps their culture alive.

So here we are, "The Modern Age" "The Digital Age" "Age of Information", titling our present is yet another form of myth, not to say that its false but it is our story's title(or myth's title). If simply the Era we choose to declare is a myth then We must be immersed in more myth than you can possibly believe!!! So have u heard of the American Dream Myth? or how bout the War on Terrorism Myth. And better yet let me introduce you to the Social Media Myth, which will actually turn into a super Myth (-Meme-) factory.
We should all know the "World is meant for Man" myth by now, but do you realize your kids are told this myth everytime they go to school. History books are packed full of Cultural Myth's passed down from generation to generation. Now not all myths are bad, in fact majority of myths are there to help. But the "World is meant for Man" Myth is the most dangerous one of our culture, it is literally the Noose we will hang ourselves with if we don't open our eyes and change our minds.

The way You destroy a Myth is the same way you Create a Myth, by Exposing The Myth!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #82075 by
Sorry to "pop" back in here RiddleNox when you made it so clear earlier that you were "done" with me, but...

RiddleNox wrote: So, what we've proven is this:

I think it's important for you (and everyone else who likes to argue "facts") to remember, that just because you've stated a thing...even if the rest of the community agrees...does NOT equal "proving" a thing.

You have argued much, but proven nothing.

If you're going to take for granted that the consensus of the "scientific community" will "stand as proof", fine, but state it as such. And when that very consensus is what's being debated, you can't use it as a basis for proof. That would be like saying the bible is true because the bible says it is.

(And for the record, we were not coming down to simply "arguing definitions")

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #82076 by

Alluvius wrote: If you're going to take for granted that the consensus of the "scientific community" will "stand as proof", fine, but state it as such. And when that very consensus is what's being debated, you can't use it as a basis for proof. That would be like saying the bible is true because the bible says it is.

(And for the record, we were not coming down to simply "arguing definitions")

I'm not talking about logical proofs. I'm talking about philosophical abstracts. I prove that love exists because I feel it. And, I choose to identify love as the feeling I have when I am in "love". So, therefore, it exists.

I mean, in the end, if you think that way, NOTHING exists. But, we have to assign meaning to things or else we cannot communicate.

So, yes, we were arguing definitions.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #82081 by

RiddleNox wrote: I mean, in the end, if you think that way, NOTHING exists. But, we have to assign meaning to things or else we cannot communicate.

But all communication exists in the realm of the abstract...thus meaning is unnecessary. But, by that token, neither is communication, and you're right, nothing exists...at least not as opposed to or separate from anything else.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #82082 by

RiddleNox wrote: I choose science because I can see it.
Others choose Christianity/Indigenous/Hindu/etc. because they can FEEL it.

We tell kids about Santa Claus so they will grow up to be kind and generous.
Kids like fantasy because it paints a picture of the universe in a way that tunnel visions it. Simplifies it by breaking rules. We use these "myths" to teach lessons.

I personally dislike this system because I'd rather hear: "Connor. Be a good person..." and leave it at that. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE STORIES. I read LOTR twice a year. And, I love Harry potter and what not. But, I don't read for "lessons" or myths. I read because it's an escape.

I'm curious...how does the above statement not contradict the statement below?

RiddleNox wrote: I'm not talking about logical proofs. I'm talking about philosophical abstracts. I prove that love exists because I feel it. And, I choose to identify love as the feeling I have when I am in "love". So, therefore, it exists.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #82083 by
I can't see how they conflict... so I don't know how to answer your question.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #82163 by

RiddleNox wrote: I can't see how they conflict... so I don't know how to answer your question.

...and we're done here.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #82164 by
haha. Ok! Sounds good. nice talking with you.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi