Myths?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81698 by
Replied by on topic Re: Myths?
I know! And, I don't have a problem with that. Just my own interpretation. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 5 months ago #81707 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Myths?

Sajjad Heydari wrote:

RiddleNox wrote: I think the Big Bang theory is a myth unless you explain it scientifically, yes.

Then we are on the same train, I didn't used the word 'fiction' because for some, it's more than this... You know.

Ok, lets try this...

Whether God (whoever) clapped his hands and created the earth...

Or there was a Big Bang....

You dont get something from nothing... (at least I couldnt find an example...;))

And, this is what I would say the point of the creation myth is... Something started it... Pick your myth... (haha, Riddle...:P )

It could be the will of a being, or the right combination of elements...

The ONLY thing I disagree with is that I would add "fictional" somewhere in there. We can split hairs about what "fiction" means, and how EVERYTHING is rooted in some kind of truth. But, dates in history books don't mention Gandalf or Zeus (being real).

History books?

So, the Greek and Romans didnt have tales of their Heros?

We call them myths now, but did they then?

The pyramids discuss RA and Anubis, and many others, are these historical facts, or myths?

How in depth are "the history books"? :laugh: Some stuff does get left out as "too outrageous" or "fictitious"....

The bible is an old book, is it a "history book"? It talks about the old world... It also talks about God...

And to give my answer, a myth is a story unsubstantiated.... We just seldom refer to them in this manner... Most of the time it's called a "story"....:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: MCSH

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81722 by
And, this is what I would say the point of the creation myth is... Something started it... Pick your myth... (haha, Riddle...:P )

... Ok. sure, we can all agree on that. But, saying it was created by some fancy unicorn doesn't make it true. Buddhists think it's foolish to dwell on the origins of the universe, because it doesn't matter.

Because they were wrong...

The pyramids discuss RA and Anubis, and many others, are these historical facts, or myths?

How in depth are "the history books"? :laugh: Some stuff does get left out as "too outrageous" or "fictitious"....

The bible is an old book, is it a "history book"? It talks about the old world... It also talks about God..

And, it's wrong. Saying gods existed or God exists... it's just plain wrong. And, if you're right: YAY! You've picked the impossible needle from the haystack and come up with the right answer.

Like picking freaking lotto numbers to me.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 5 months ago #81724 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Myths?

RiddleNox wrote:

... Ok. sure, we can all agree on that. But, saying it was created by some fancy unicorn doesn't make it true. Buddhists think it's foolish to dwell on the origins of the universe, because it doesn't matter.

Just because it didnt matter to them, does not mean it doesnt matter to others...

Im not a Buddhist, and they are not the ultimate autority...:)

Because they were wrong...

There is not right and wrong...;)

lol...

They were "right" for their time...

http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Philosophy/77980-The-Relativity-of-Wrong

The bible is an old book, is it a "history book"? It talks about the old world... It also talks about God..

And, it's wrong. Saying gods existed or God exists... it's just plain wrong. And, if you're right: YAY! You've picked the impossible needle from the haystack and come up with the right answer.

Like picking freaking lotto numbers to me.

Im guessing you mean the Bible is wrong?

I agree that it is not a history book, true...

But how about the historical account on the Egyptian Tombs?

Prolly like the bible is my opinion...

Primitive man, has primitive gods...

Modern man worships science... So I think...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81735 by
Replied by on topic Myths?
Hahaha. Good points.

But, I am a Buddhist, and while it's not the ultimate authority (if you know Buddhists, we're always looking to disprove ourselves), I think it's important to note that a major worldview doesn't think the origin of the Universe matters.

Obviously Buddha had an insight as to why he wouldn't answer the question. Why would it matter? Because we cannot know. And spending all our time trying to know is like clawing on the concrete trying to get to China.

As for your remarks about the Bible and other such books, history was an oral tradition back then. The stories were more about entertainment and culture than scholarly idealism.

And for the idea of Modern Man worshiping science.

I agree that some people do! Some place their faith in existence on facts that they can see. Evolution to many people is God! It's the way it really happened. This is not myth, this is real. It's not an "oral" tradition. It's abstract fact.

I do not worship science. In fact, I was very bad at it in high school. But, I know through cultural contexts that science defines things in such a way that they are irrefutable unless they aren't AND THEN THEY SAY THEY MIGHT BE WRONG. Science loves to be proved wrong. I believe Christianity disdains questioning the authority of god, yes? (coming from a 20 year Christian)

More
11 years 5 months ago #81752 by MCSH
Replied by MCSH on topic Re: Myths?
RiddleNox: You are duplicating your words :D

If you believe big bang theory as a myth... then Evolution is one too! Some people believe that monkey slept today, and tomorrow woke up as man! can you believe it?

And science loves to be proved wrong, I agree. But scientists doesn't! Why? because they reached to their theory in this way :

They dreamed it,
They believed it, (it became a myth to them)
They proved it, (by facts that was accepted to all)
They heard someone saying it is wrong, (based on other facts)
They try to prove they are not wrong! (Hey THEY BELIEVE IN THEIR THEORY, One can not give his believe up easily)

and I think science without scientists, is like computer without CPU!

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81755 by
YES.

They dreamed it,
They believed it, (it became a myth to them)
They proved it, (by facts that was accepted to all)
They heard someone saying it is wrong, (based on other facts)
They try to prove they are not wrong! (Hey THEY BELIEVE IN THEIR THEORY, One can not give his believe up easily)

Now,

Myths:
They dreamed it,
They believed it,
THEY DID NOT PROVE IT.
But, they said it anyway.

-End of story. lol

More
11 years 5 months ago #81762 by MCSH
I remember hearing this sentence, not sure where.

"The only one you should prove your believes to, is yourself"

Myth is a kind of believe... so....

my point was that science is a myth...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81766 by
Yeah, and didn't I agree that it was too?

More
11 years 5 months ago #81768 by MCSH
I think I misunderstood what you said then!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi