Myths?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81535 by
Replied by on topic Re: Myths?
In a way, but I meant more specifically in our time... we have explanations, scientific ones, for a lot of the things we have myths for...

why bother with the myths? Other than that they are good stories.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 5 months ago #81536 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Myths?
Because some people cannot understand what you are telling them unless it :is in the moral of the story"...

Really? scientific?

So, tell me, what make the atom components that Sajjad spoke of?

The proton, neutron, and whatever the third was?

And what makes the space between them?

And what makes that?

And what makes that?;)

The point for those who want an answer, is, the answer can be god, or the force, or the great beaver of kikipoo, or whatever...

Too much science is as bad as too much myth...

It's about balance...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: MCSH

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81537 by
Morals? Ew. hahaha.

But, anyway, I think that dividing things into smaller parts just because you want them explained is just.. eh. I could say that about an author: Why did you write that book? Why did you write that chapter? That paragraph? That word? That letter? That stroke?

At some point, it doesn't matter! Who cares why the stroke is there? MAYBE the letter is important, and that's a nuance that can be explained with colloquialism.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 5 months ago #81544 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Myths?
Im not pokin' at you, but since we keep going here, I have a bit more to say as well... lol...;)

You are the one who brought up science, lol...

Science is trying to explain these myths, but, there seems to always be more questions... lol...

At some point, it doesn't matter! Who cares why the stroke is there?

Some of us couldnt agree more... I do agree with you, as well... But, I am not so stuck on my personal myth, as to stop accepting more info, as other belief systems can, and do...

Others, keep digging...

You use "eh" a lot...

And sorta implied the same in your other post, as if, "ok, whatever, you are missing the point"...

If you have something to say, please say it, this is a discussion forum... Posting to just say, "eh" kinda seems..."eh".... lololol....

Im not missing the point, we are just discussing, as far as Im concerned...:)

If you dont wanna chat, I'll stop...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81554 by
"Im not pokin' at you, but since we keep going here, I have a bit more to say as well... lol...

You are the one who brought up science, lol...

Science is trying to explain these myths, but, there seems to always be more questions... lol..."

^ you use lol a lot? ;) I mean, we all have our -isms about posting. I use eh because it means something. It means that it's pointless to say what I was going to say, so why waste your time? haha.

"Some of us couldnt agree more... I do agree with you, as well... But, I am not so stuck on my personal myth, as to stop accepting more info, as other belief systems can, and do..."

Hmmm. I wonder if "more" is important. It seems to me that we can either choose the route of delving and understanding, or we can choose the route of just accepting what is and go with it. Personally, I take the latter road. Truth to me, is my perception of what I see and feel and do. To just keep going, seems to me to be "eh". What would I do when I had all the answers? Die anyway?

"If you have something to say, please say it, this is a discussion forum... Posting to just say, "eh" kinda seems..."eh".... lololol...."

This is a discussion forum? O_O Oh no! I'm in the wrong place!!!! *cough*
Im not missing the point, we are just discussing, as far as Im concerned...

And, I like chatting. But, the Dalai Lama poster on my wall always reminds me that there is more to learn in shutting up than there is in talking endlessly.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81558 by
Hey, RiddleNox...here's a thought for you..."scientific explanations" are modern myths...;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81559 by
eh... I don't know about that.

Personally, I don't like science as much as the next guy (in fact, I generally get bored with science...) But, I wouldn't call them myths. They aren't stories. They aren't entertaining. They aren't teaching you anything.

They are just saying: hey, this is what it is... And, it's RIGHT.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81575 by
Where is it written that myths must be entertaining? And, in point of fact, scientific explanations are intended to teach us things. Whether those ideas or lessons are understood or not is really beside the point. I know many people who don't understand most, if not all, of the mythology they've been exposed to. That doesn't make the stories any less mythology. Mythology seems to be no more than an attempt by contemporary humanity to make sense of their world...and in that context, our science most definitely qualifies as "modern myth".

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81581 by

Alluvius wrote: Where is it written that myths must be entertaining? And, in point of fact, scientific explanations are intended to teach us things. Whether those ideas or lessons are understood or not is really beside the point. I know many people who don't understand most, if not all, of the mythology they've been exposed to. That doesn't make the stories any less mythology. Mythology seems to be no more than an attempt by contemporary humanity to make sense of their world...and in that context, our science most definitely qualifies as "modern myth".

Because myths were made to be stories. Stories must be entertaining... that's the whole point of having a story. Whether or not it's "boring" or not, it has to be entertaining. And, to me, entertaining means engaging and some kind of fantastical. Telling somebody about your broken nail is not a story to me... it's recounting an event.

Mythology is just a way to explain things you don't understand. If they can be understood, they aren't myths.

Myth: an imaginary, or fictitious story intended to explain something that is not fully understood by the natural world.

Or, at least, that's what I mean when I say Myth.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81584 by
Not to put too fine of a point on it, but there are crap tons of stories, including some actual "official" myths that I don't find the least bit entertaining. Also, if "engaging" is the primary criteria for "entertaining", then what about the people (including myself) who are actually entertained by, or perhaps even prefer, "factual" or at least non-fiction "stories"?

Recounting an event, such as someone breaking a nail, can be a mythic story if there's a point or lesson to be conveyed beyond the simple breaking of a nail. I see fables, and parables as mythic stories, in addition to the traditional myth.

The "defining" trait of a myth seems to be it's basis in fiction...my question, therefore is: At what point, and by whom, are such things as fact and fiction defined. It's not like the ancient Greeks, Sumerians, Celts, et cetera called their mythic stories "myth". The stories were passed down through the generations in order to teach and explain. I pose that the word "fiction" should, thus, be stricken from the definition of the word "myth", and therefore, has more in common with modern "science" than with modern movies (for example).

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi