Myths?

More
11 years 5 months ago #81442 by MCSH
Replied by MCSH on topic Re: Myths?
Thanks for all of your responses :)

Well some people pointed to movies, and some to religious myths... indeed Campbell was for some years ago, but in his age, both these kind of myths existed, so why did he said "The world today is a world without myths", while he knew those kind of myths existed?

If I want to rephrase what I said, it would be "Why Joseph Campbell didn't believe these Movies and religious stories aren't myths that today's world need?"

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81443 by
Replied by on topic Re: Myths?
@Phortis Nespin

Pretty much everything you said was spot on. I'm impressed! The only thing that I'd like to clear up is that humans dont think that "higher brain function is a superior trait", only our culture thinks that.

There are humans that think of them selves to be on par with all other life forms. This is because the are completely reliant on other forms of life. Our culture likes to teach us that we are exempt from the laws of life.

I guess thats the biggest myth of all... Our cultures myth.

@Sajjad

Thank you for opening a discussion like this.

More
11 years 5 months ago #81452 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Re: Myths?
Because he needed to feel like his job had more meaning than it actually did? J/K.

I don't know. The funny thing is, almost a decade after Campbell's death we began really looking at Goblekli Tepe and discovered that this was the first site (that we have found thus far) which shows our placing ourselves above animals came much later than Campbell's research proposed (not his fault, of course, he didn't have access to Goblekli Tepe). Campbell believes it is recent, but now our findings are that it dates back to about 11,000 BCE.

I believe that Campbell's real aim in making the statement that there are no myths anymore was to point out that we do not pay attention to the myths we are given anymore-and in a sense have lost all meaning to the myth, making the ones in existence obsolete. If you think about it, even the real life myths of heroes are pushed to the wayside and you are told to become your own person. As individuals you have to create your own myth, something which is unique- never looking at others for inspiration. It's entirely inside of you. But that's not the case, we build off of others to create our own personal story. Without the inspiration of others, you may never truly live out your story line to it's best conclusion, instead you will find yourself running in circles trying to find the right road.

Anyways, Campbell aside, look at the animal kingdom- when a lion is in his own environment completely separate from humans, do you think he is any different from us? He (on some level, it may not be cognitively) acknowledges he is at the top of the food chain, and therefore superior to all other animals around him.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
11 years 5 months ago #81453 by MCSH
Alethea Thompson:

Thanks for your great response :)

you said "We do not pay attention to myths anymore," why? And why Campbell believed it was important to pay attention to myths? (anyone who know the answers, give them please :D)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81456 by
The definition of myth I use: myth is a, “traditional narration which relates to events that happened at the beginning of time and which has the purpose of providing grounds for the ritual actions of men of today and, in a general manner, establishing all the forms of action and thought by which man understands himself in his world.” (Paul Ricoeur, The Symbolism of Evil, p. 5 ff)

Myth is the narrative embodiment of an idea. The narrative places the experience of man in a whole and so human experience receives orientation and meaning from the narration, thus, an understanding of human reality as a whole operates through the myths by means of reminiscence and expectation. Myth narrates a sacred history; it relates an event in primordial time; it tells how reality came into existence. Myth can be known, experienced, lived in the sense that one is seized by the sacred in the re-enactment the primordial, sacred event. In this way, myth is the symbolic expression of primal experiences. It is a narrative account of the origin of the symbol which represents a primary aspect of experienced reality. Myth can include reference to historic personages and events, nevertheless, there is no discernible correlation between the factual elements of history and the functioning adequacy of a myth. The truth, validity, or effectiveness of a myth is determined solely by those who participate in the ritual re-enactment of myth. True myth is not philosophical allegory as in Hesiod`s cosmogony. Robert Graves says that myth is not an explanation, satire, parody, sentimental fable, embroidered history, minstrel romance, political propaganda, moral legend, humorous anecdote, theatrical melodrama, heroic saga or realistic fiction. Finally, contrary to popular understanding, not every film narrates a myth, myth is not opposed to ‘fact’, nor is a every fiction novel myth.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #81457 by MCSH
Alan:

Thanks for definition of myth, and some explanation about it, but

Can you answer any of those question? I couldn't get answer of any those question from what you told.

Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by MCSH.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81459 by
"What I want for you in this thread is, to think about your creation myth, think why it reach to an end that make us believe that we are on planet earth to control other creatures lives, and why we think we are superior than others. and of course, post it here."

My creation myth? What if I don't have one? Zen doesn't dwell on it. Nor does Jedi... Well, Lord of the Rings does... but... hahah.

More
11 years 5 months ago #81460 by MCSH
RiddleNox:

If you don't have a creation myth, then you can answer other questions I asked here :D

-If I want to rephrase what I said, it would be "Why Joseph Campbell didn't believe these Movies and religious stories aren't myths that today's world need?"

-"We do not pay attention to myths anymore," why? And why Campbell believed it was important to pay attention to myths?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81461 by
-If I want to rephrase what I said, it would be "Why Joseph Campbell didn't believe these Movies and religious stories aren't myths that today's world need?"

Because today's world doesn't need myths. It needs to destroy consumerism and enact compassion. That will only happen when we're all dead. The stories in the movies are fantastic and are great myths, but their MEDIUM itself contributes to the collective dumbing down of society and the end of our intelligent generation while we allow technology to overcome us.

-"We do not pay attention to myths anymore," why? And why Campbell believed it was important to pay attention to myths?

Because the pretty lights are more interesting.

We believe ourselves Gods at night in our beds... not servants of Gods. And, as such, movies make our dreams real. We project these ideas into them. Television is much the same.

More
11 years 5 months ago #81462 by MCSH
RiddleNox:

"If you are wondering what a world without myths is... Read NY times!" - Joseph Campbell

Today's world, need myths, but it lack myths, although it have a lot of it, none of them seems to work.

You said today's world doesn't need myth, then why are we creating them? The big bang theory is a myth itself, unless you look from scientist POV.

We don't need myths, and we are making one, daily. Why people go to university, study chemistry, biology, physics....? Don't you think the story that tell us "An atom is made from 3 different things, electron, proton, notron(not sure how you write this one), and these gather together and form an atom which........." is a myth itself?

If we don't need myth, why we create them?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi