Myths?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81782 by
Replied by on topic Re: Myths?
So, what we've proven is this:

Scientific facts are not myths. They are facts.
BUT, the stories that Science tells are modern myths, and they are the RIGHT myths. So, for instance:

We can say that God created the atom.

But, in reality, all we need science to tell us is that there is an atom.

Science can also tell us the STORY of how the atom came to be (albeit an incomplete story). Since science has holes in the story, we turn to others stories to fill in the gap.

BUT, at the end of the day, no matter which story you turn to, you end up with the facts. You end up in an experienced world. One that is tangible and real.

I choose science because I can see it.
Others choose Christianity/Indigenous/Hindu/etc. because they can FEEL it.

We tell kids about Santa Claus so they will grow up to be kind and generous.
Kids like fantasy because it paints a picture of the universe in a way that tunnel visions it. Simplifies it by breaking rules. We use these "myths" to teach lessons.

I personally dislike this system because I'd rather hear: "Connor. Be a good person..." and leave it at that. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE STORIES. I read LOTR twice a year. And, I love Harry potter and what not. But, I don't read for "lessons" or myths. I read because it's an escape.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #81784 by MCSH
Replied by MCSH on topic Re: Myths?
RiddleNox:

I'll tell you "be a sith", you will become one? How about I tell you be a Jedi? will you become one?

But you saw "Star Wars" and now you call yourself a Jedi...

Myths are incredible, because when someone hear a whole story, he will accept it! If I waste a whole year telling you to play 'minecraft', you will never give it a shot. (Consider me as a person who just met you) But if I tell you one of my stories that I was playing minecraft... Tomorrow, I'm listening to your story of your last play.

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

More
11 years 5 months ago #81800 by MCSH
I just noticed that I myself in this topic in the last post, instead of giving facts, told two stories... without noticing it, perhaps because I felt that way you will agree with me easier

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81820 by
hahha. That's very interesting indeed. Though, I have to say, that sounds like manipulation to me. A good story CAN indeed make anybody do something. Like Christianity's stories. People LOVE hearing about the cute, baby Jesus who will one day ride on horseback and stab all the Antichrists.

But, that doesn't make it right... And, in fact, I'd be MORE wary of an interesting story. It's like the Hanzel and Gretel effect. I want the candy, so I'll keep going toward the house, unbeknownst to me, there is a witch going to eat me. (See, I used a myth just now to prove my point, I'm not heartless. :P)

More
11 years 5 months ago #81847 by MCSH
Did I said every myths is right? (Hint: Nope!)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81857 by
Replied by on topic Myths?
And I'm saying if myths/stories are factual, then they aren't myths. They are just stories.

More
11 years 5 months ago #81861 by MCSH

RiddleNox wrote: And I'm saying if myths/stories are factual, then they aren't myths. They are just stories.

Imagine we are before year 1000, now, I tell you "The earth is flat, sun / moon / plants move around it" At that time, it was a fact, a scientific accepted one... but it's no longer.

I remember writing this sentence in my journal "Every religion is true, in it's time and it's place," It's true about myths...!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81869 by
No, it's not.

Every religion is USEFUL, in its time and in its place.

Same with myths.

To me, they've outgrown most of their usefulness in explaining fact. Now, if the POINT isn't to explain fact, but to teach some kind of spiritual or internal lesson, then that's different.

I might, from that point of view, consider something like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings to be a myth because of their applicability (not allegory) to a moral lifestyle.

More
11 years 5 months ago #81870 by MCSH
Yeah, that's just another way to put my words ;-)

Well, what I was wishing the discussion would lead to, is an answer to the last questions I asked... "Why we have these myths? Why people spend money to hear those story again, rather than staying home, listening old stories from their grand parents?"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81872 by
Easy... because they are interesting. If you mean movies, it's because the lights stimulate endorphins in our bodies that release dopamine... When we see lightsabers flying, we just enjoy the spectacle.

Grandparents' stories often require imagination we, as a species, are beginning to grow out of. We like others to be imaginative for us.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi