Myths?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #81463 by
Replied by on topic Re: Myths?
Monotheists and many other people not only practice their myths in ritual but their myths are the 'reality glasses' through which they experience, organize and make sense of the world. Some evolutionary biologists theorize that myth is one of the cognitive adaptations by which human beings create order from the overwhelming, constant, and varied perception of the environment. I agree, to be human is to 'think' mythically. But even as myth is expressed in religious practice, it also inhabits secular assumptions as metaphor-without-mythic-narrative and perform the same cognitive function as myth in how we organize our perceptions. These non-mythic metaphors include: balance, harmony, energy, and self/ego, and many others.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by . Reason: verb tense agreement

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 5 months ago #81472 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Myths?
Why don't we pay attention to myths anymore?....good question....I do pay attention to myths and legends because I believe that every one of them is based on some fundamental truth, some actuality that was at one time unexplained...

I think most younger people don't pay attention because all the "magic" has gone from the world...all the unexplained that they would have experienced is now google friendly...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81473 by
If we don't need myth, why we create them?

Because they're fun. And, a distraction from the real issues we have.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81474 by
One reason myths were created was due to political climate. If the ruling party did not like to hear opposition, they would kill you. So stories were made and myths created to hide the truth in story/myth form.

As time has evolved along with mans knowledge, myth became an outdated form of communication. We now just lie!

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 5 months ago #81480 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Myths?
All this sounds well and good...

And everyone is definitely entitled to their opinions....

For me, the stories, the myths, transfer a message... Sometimes knowledge, sometimes a lesson, sometimes, hope....

If the leaders didn't have an answer for everything, then what kind of leaders would they be?

People do not like weak leaders without answers...

If people ask how the world began, they can turn to the bible... (Sorry Christian brothers and sisters... Its a fictional myth for me, personally...) And, there are many stories of creation, pick one...

If I wanted the children to stay indoors, and not wander around at night, I might make up the myth of the boogeyman...

If I wanted to explain that "there is someone for everyone", I might share "Beauty and the Beast", or Cinderella", or in the newer myths, "Pretty Woman", lol....

And even with in a story, there could be smaller lessons, besides the main lesson...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81484 by
Interesting thread! Clearly there are a number of different perspectives on this topic.

I'm of the opinion that while we can deny that myth is important, it nevertheless remains important. Even if we ignore our heritage of myths, and denigrate mythic stories as fairy tales whose best possible use is entertainment, there is a part of us deeper than the mechanistic thinker who gives voice to such a view who knows better.

That part speaks in our dreams, if we do not ignore them. It sings to us in music whose meaning touches our hearts, even if we cannot understand the language. It thrills at each hopeful suggestion in story or film that magic is real, even though we may never admit such a sentiment to anyone else. And it knows what myths mean, sometimes even with an immediate grasp of multiple layers of meaning that evades our rational thinking.

We can feel awe at Odin's sacrifice of an eye traded for wisdom. We are moved by both gratitude and inspiration at the sacrifice made by Prometheus to offer humanity fire. We are guided away from folly by the curse of King Midas - though we know these stories are symbolic. They represent our distant ancestors speaking to us of principles and virtues that will endure, long after the internet and DVD's are artifacts of history.

The nightly news may be more relevant to the business of the day, but it's ill equipped as a guide by which to steer one's life. Our myths are more likely to set us on the road to become heroes, healers, or saints.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81485 by

If people ask how the world began, they can turn to the bible... (Sorry Christian brothers and sisters... Its a fictional myth for me, personally...) And, there are many stories of creation, pick one...

Oh dear... PICK ONE?

:( That sounds not so good.

I do like the rest of your post though haha

More
11 years 5 months ago #81488 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Myths?
As sacred narratives, myths provided a cultural framework to interpret the relevant range of mystery. So what mystery remains for us now, and should pursuit of those questions be caged in terms of the sacred?

We are certainly less fearful now as our knowledge has driven the unknown to the furthest corners, deep beyond human awareness and perhaps even beyond possible human perception. Without fear, without duty, without responsibility a person can reduce fear to almost zero. Fear is a path to the darkside because in the absence of information about a potential threat the mind can have a tendency to become emotional. The easiest effort to counter these effects is to generate an opposite and more powerful unknown, such as a saviour myth.

I'm not sure if people still need modern myth's, but they are effective tools to engage with the mind to help walk your path.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81502 by
Myths also tell stories of morality and embody the values of the culture. Norse mythology is filled with heroism and bravery and Christian mythology is filled with charity, good will, and really not screwing around if their God tells you to do something.

Maybe myths have changed. Communications have reached the point where we can have our own heroes and legends without them taking place in a fantasy. The valiance of the heroes of Wizna, the bravery of the 9/11 First Responders, the cunning of the Russian Army in WW2, the sexcapades of Mick Jagger and Charlie Sheen. Times have changed, but the basics remain the same.

More
11 years 5 months ago #81505 by MCSH
Replied by MCSH on topic Re: Myths?
Thanks for your great responses!

RyuJin: you said

because I believe that every one of them is based on some fundamental truth

indeed, every myth is based on a truth, and every truth is a myth itself, but we may know it as facts or theories - they are myth unless you be very careful about them, and look at it as scientists look.

RiddleNox: I hardly think myths are here to make us distracted from real life, maybe to show us a truth, which can not be proved, but to make us laugh... well, your opinion is honorable.

Phortis Nespin: Political myths... well that true. For changing an idea, or a vision (see master Daniel post's at same sub forum for more information) myths are the best way. A good example is heaven and hell, (they are myths indeed) name one person, who became Christian Muslim, or whatever Abrahamic religion, without being scared about these, and without thinking of reaching to Heaven.

You said that myth is out dated. You probably studied in school, and you probably had heard about life after death.... isn't that a myth? or you had probably heard about Electrons and Protons and Nutrons, joining together, forming atom, .... that is a myth itself! (unless you view it carefully as scientists do)

Jestor: Well, I agree with part that 'They deliver a massage' Also I agree that myths are a great way to 'control people's behavior'. great points!

Adder: You said :

I'm not sure if people still need modern myth's, but they are effective tools to engage with the mind to help walk your path.

and the second sentence, "but they are effective tools to engage with the mind to help walk your path" is exactly why people still need myths!

Williamkaede: Indeed, I agree with you.

As our communities had changed, out myths are changed, without us noticing it.

If I want to name some new myths that we all know it would be : Super Man, Spider Man, Soldiers of World War II , Star Wars (hey , our religion is based on them!), Harry Potter, even Steve Jobs (who recently had been changed to a hero after his death! you know...), matrix, mafia, freemasonry (you may say they aren't myths... I agree, but story behind some of their groups had became a myth to many), Lost, big bang theory, and millions of other stories, that we know, most of them are not true, but they are somehow our new myths!

Why we have these? To sell more books and films and...? why would anyone paid to watch, hear, read these things?

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi