Myths?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81585 by
Replied by on topic Re: Myths?
Oy. At this point, we're just differing in definition. Sorry, but I'm going to have to stop here.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81586 by
OK :)

More
11 years 5 months ago #81595 by MCSH
Replied by MCSH on topic Re: Myths?
Well, thanks for all of your response.

I see that we have problem with 'definition' of myths.

Can you please define myth in your next reply?

(Also I made another question too: )

from : http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Stories/81366-Myths?limit=10&start=20#81505

Why we have these? To sell more books and films and...? why would anyone paid to watch, hear, read these things? (by this I meant new myths )

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81597 by
I define myth as a tale which shows or has hidden in itself an important lesson, even if it wasn't it's creator's purpose.

As for the second question, we needed in the past, we'll need in the future and we need now such teachings, but the old myths are so outdated that most people cannot relate to their meaning. That's why we need new myths. As for who would have pay for learning such truths, I think that anyone would. Right now there are many people trying to cope with their spirituality through various so-called masters, who are looking solely for gain. New myths would be something they're looking for, as we all do. Furthermore, as stories, new myths wouldn't be able to become completely commercialized, because eventually they would become a part of a collective human knowledge and experience.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81659 by
Kalkho's last post sums up very well my thoughts on the subject, so all I can add is, "me too!".

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #81682 by MCSH
Thank you both :)

(Seriously I was waiting for more responses to that question... anyway Kalkho defined it well)

From now on, on this topic, by the word myth I (and probably others!) mean :

-A story who have one (or more) lessons in itself, which people follow (or accept) without asking to many questions about it.

A really good example is star wars. Many people accepted it (as a movie of course!) and not so many people asked 'why that lightsaber is in this way?' or 'is it really possible to move things with imagination as Yoda did?'

If you don't agree with this definition, give us yours, and explain why. Remember this is a discussion forum ;-)

Reminder: The last question is...

from : www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Stori...0&start=20#81505

Why we have these? To sell more books and films and...? why would anyone paid to watch, hear, read these things? (by this I meant new myths )

Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by MCSH.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #81692 by
The ONLY thing I disagree with is that I would add "fictional" somewhere in there. We can split hairs about what "fiction" means, and how EVERYTHING is rooted in some kind of truth. But, dates in history books don't mention Gandalf or Zeus (being real).

More
11 years 5 months ago #81693 by MCSH

RiddleNox wrote: The ONLY thing I disagree with is that I would add "fictional" somewhere in there. We can split hairs about what "fiction" means, and how EVERYTHING is rooted in some kind of truth. But, dates in history books don't mention Gandalf or Zeus (being real).

Well, do you agree that 'Big Bang Theory' is a myth itself unless you look it very scientifically? Is that fictional?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #81695 by
I think the Big Bang theory is a myth unless you explain it scientifically, yes.

THOUGH, I am not sure if it teaches much of a moral... lol.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by .

More
11 years 5 months ago #81696 by MCSH

RiddleNox wrote: I think the Big Bang theory is a myth unless you explain it scientifically, yes.

Then we are on the same train, I didn't used the word 'fiction' because for some, it's more than this... You know.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi