The Revolutionary Society

More
7 years 5 months ago #264137 by Tellahane

Snowy Aftermath wrote:

Zenchi wrote: MadHatter and Goken, you two are the reasons I dont post here as often as I'd like to, thank you... :whistle:

Silas is my reason.

Still doesn't deserve to be dissected in front of an audience though.

My suggestion would have been to take the entire conversation private then, I mean this is an online forum, in a public section of the forum no less, if this needed to be a private discussion, the misc. forum was not the ideal place for it if you were worried about discussions in front of audiences.

Dissecting posts, ideas, thoughts, actions etc, this is the intent of a forum. I found this on the wiki for an internet forum and I think it applies here specifically:

Forums prefer a premise of open and free discussion and often adopt de facto standards. Most common topics on forums include questions, comparisons, polls of opinion as well as debates. It is not uncommon for nonsense or unsocial behavior to sprout as people lose temper, especially if the topic is controversial. Poor understanding of differences in values of the participants is a common problem on forums. Because replies to a topic are often worded aimed at someone's point of view, discussion will usually go slightly off into several directions as people question each other's validity, sources and so on. Circular discussion and ambiguity in replies can extend for several tens of posts of a thread eventually ending when everyone gives up or attention spans waver and a more interesting subject takes over. It is not uncommon for debate to end in ad hominem attacks.

Now I'm not going to argue/agree/disagree that any one particular person is getting intentionally targeted or "dissected", each persons actions are their own, and don't really represent any body as a whole. That representation is created by the person accusing such representation, unless they themselves state specifically they are representing such a body.

In the end though this is a place for idea's, teaching's, experience's etc to be shared, discussed, analyzed, stripped down, put back together, agree'd with, disagree'd with. To assume its anything other then that is to forget the nature and intent of an online forum. If you don't want any of that to happen then don't post it imo.

As far as what I have read of silas and his ideas, do I agree with his goals, no I don't. do I agree with some of the methods that might be pursued, nope not again either. I can spend an entire day heavily reading, researching, finding quotes for why I might disagree and so on but in the end I have no control of silas and what he does, whether I condone or not has probably no bearing on what silas chooses to do either, especially me I mean i'm just some apprentice as far as "rank" which is really nothing more then an acknowledgement of my level of study, and nothing else(and honestly the same thing could be said about knighthood as well from my own opinion of it anyway).

I think as I put into my quote up there in bold, it has gotten to the point where there has been enough of these way outside the box posts from Silas where people have disagreed with and so on it has become the norm to have a certain point of view or an idea of Silas and his views and so forth. That has been taken as a bad thing for some reason. I don't understand why?

We all get to know each others view points and stances on various topics, you can call it a persona. We all create one of each other. We each have some of snowy, we have some of me, there's some of cabur and everyone else's all over these forums there's nothing wrong with knowing what those are, we post all of our idea's and viewpoints out here all the time in our discussions its also how we get to understand each other. So why is it a big deal that Silas has posted enough stuff that he has created enough material for each of us to put together our own persona of him? Just because its far out side the box makes it a bad thing?

My question to everyone involved here is why are we so caught up in how other people think of our selves and our views? Maybe that needs to be a thread of its own, and I may go down that route here this week. You should be seeking the viewpoints and what people think of your idea's not as a way to judge your self or to rank yourself among the community but as a need to get others' viewpoints, if they are all negative or positive or mixed what does it matter. Viewpoints are viewpoints, knowledge is knowledge, opinions are opinions, I value negative feedback just as important as positive feedback, sometimes I don't have the greatest idea's and I like it when I'm told so, stops me from doing things I may regret later.

I have also taken a bunch of negative feedback and did an action anyway because I truly believed it was the best thing to do given the circumstances. That has worked for me in the past, and it has blown up in my face. Did it make all the feedback I got any less important in making my decision? Nope!

Silas has posted his viewpoints, he has received his feedback, so it may not align with the majority of the temple, that's perfectly fine, so why is there a big deal being made about it?

Honestly as I read through all of this I was more interested in the accusations of hypocrisy then anything. As we grow and experience our views change, things we have said in the past no longer align with what we believe in the now, this is a state that is in constant flux for anyone, so knowing that how does one hold the accusation of hypocrisy against anyone? Is there a time limit, so if you say something yesterday and your views change that should be held accountable as opposed to saying something a year ago?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #264139 by Breeze el Tierno
No worries. No beef. No offense taken. Nothing to defend. And no, I have no power over anyone here. If I have earned respect from my fellows, good for me. If I not, I will have to do better.

And what real harm could a beef with me really do?

I got sincere with you, Silas. It was a bitter pill, but devoid of malice. I think a lot of us have felt what you have, in one form or another. The urge to make other people understand.

Just think it all over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, MadHatter

More
7 years 5 months ago #264140 by Brick

Silas Mercury wrote: Hey, I don't want a beef. And, if you think about it, just because he is on tbe Clergy doesn't give him any power over either of us. Cabur, I still hold you in the highest of respects, I just wanted to clear that up with Snowy.

Admittedly i don't know Cabur as well as i would like to, but i dont belive claims to hold 'power' over anyone. He was just expressing an opinion/offer advice

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Breeze el Tierno

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #264146 by JamesSand

Admittedly i don't know Cabur as well as i would like to, but i dont belive claims to hold 'power' over anyone. He was just expressing an opinion/offer advice

Whether he claims it or not is beside the point.

I (Well, I won't assume, heaven forfend! :P) believe I see Snowy's point. That's neither condoning nor condemning, just being a...debate voyeur if you will.

Back to Silas and the third world countries -

My understanding is there are a number of serving or ex-serving members of various nations militaries here.
They may or may not be willing to share their views of what happens when you turn up to third world countries and try to persuade them to join your "side" :P

There may be no beef here in our friendly order, but rumour has it there is some significant beef between not only third world countries and those of us with fast cars and Nikes, but also between every possible tribe, business, religion, political party, warlord, language group, what-have-you inside of those places.

Heck, I can't even get my local council to agree on whether or not there should be kerbside parking for the local strip mall - and they're all on the same team to start with.

If nothing else Silas, you've stirred up one of the fastest growing threads in recent months - every time I wake up there's three more pages.

You've even got Khaos and Snowy, strong believers in the value of their own time, appearing to add their own dash of salt to the mix.

Perhaps you're smarter than the rest of us - If you can cause this much excitement with a few text posts, you might be able to rule the world after all.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by JamesSand.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #264147 by
Replied by on topic The TotJO Revolutionary Society

Tellahane wrote: Dissecting posts, ideas, thoughts, actions etc, this is the intent of a forum.

This was a dissection of him. Again, read. Quit forgiving people because of their rank.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #264149 by

Cabur Senaar wrote: And no, I have no power over anyone here. If I have earned respect from my fellows, good for me.

"No power", eh? Count how many thank yous you received on every post in the last month compared to others. You're willfully blind or deceiving yourself, pick your favorite.

And you can't even address my post. Which is kinda pathetic. But I expected as much.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #264156 by JamesSand

Count how many thank yous you received on every post in the last month compared to others.

Really?

Do the Thank Yous charge his powers? What happens when he gets over 9,000?

If he gets enough does he become Mega-Cabur-Tron?

I hope the internet equivalent of an after-football-game slap on the butt is not your definition of "influence"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #264157 by

JamesSand wrote:

Count how many thank yous you received on every post in the last month compared to others.

Really?

Do the Thank Yous charge his laser powers?

If he gets enough does he become Mega-Cabur-Tron?

I hope the internet equivalent of an after-football-game slap on the butt is not your definition of "influence"

If that's all the deeper you can examine an issue, I've got nothing else to say to you. Go take a course on critical thinking. And then one on how politicians work.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #264158 by JamesSand

If that's all the deeper you can examine an issue, I've got nothing else to say to you. Go take a course on critical thinking. And then one on how politicians work.

I'll consider it.
Warning: Spoiler!

but for now, whatever dark machinations Cabur has wrought here against Silas or any other pawn, I'm not persuaded the threat is high, or the outcome particularly malignant.

I'm sure my laissez faire attitude is a failing against some maxium of TotJO or another.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadHatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #264166 by
Am i the only one who wishes that a beautifull man would appear and thank me in person when someone likes my comment? Thank you's are so useless in the end really :laugh:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi