Lightsaber Training

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #7745 by
Replied by on topic Re:Lightsaber Training
I must agree with Anakin Kenobi insomuch that lightsaber training has the secondary effect of sharpening the mind and senses. As with any martial art, you will be LESS inclined to violence if you practice martial art or weapon skill because you know you could do damage to somebody so why bother. As the crystal is the heart of the blade, so is the lightsaber the crystal of the jedi. I dont condone wearing a lightsaber hilt in public because of course you may not be taken seriously, but in formal ceremony or even among other jedi in the future temple, sure why not.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #7752 by
yeah, i did fencing for about six years and it is great but also exhausting sport, unfortunately i stopped because of school, but I always enjoyed it and can only recommend it to everybody, it keeps you fit, you have to train fast and autonom reactions as well as endurance and creativity in attack ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #7795 by
Should anyone get the chance that hasn't yet, they should try out the SCA, www.sca.org

Mideival reenactment group, they teach you to fight in a mideival fashion for the most part, being that they try to keep it as historically accurate as possible. Besides that, it's fun, and pain is only a temporary thing anyway, right?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9647 by
I would suggest HMR (Historical Medieval Recreation) They do actual live combat tournaments using real weapons and real armor. the way that they do it, I know it might seem a little far fetched, but they use moving blankets for the most part as armor, till you get a high enif rank, then you have the chance to wear ether leather armor or steel armor. But if you want to get you're endurance up, then go with HMR. If you want to be able to fight with styrofoam and sometimes oversize weapons with almost same type of armor as HMR, then go with SCA. But, with HMR, you may have a hard time finding them online. I know they use to be down in San Diego.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9652 by
I thought HMR went under though. I would love to start another branch up here if they really are still going.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9657 by
HMR I belive did go under for the most part, but there was a group at my last Escondido fair that said that they where from HMR I belive. I think their called The Brotherhood or somethin along those lines. But I know for sure that SCA is out here. I mean I still have alot of the old manuals from HMR. If we are able to stay out here longer maybe if anyone from TOTJO is intrested, we make a fair based off of what we have.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9660 by
LMAO, i just noticed your signature. Hey everyone, Chrissy plays as a Cathar in the RPG that i have been running, that is why that is funny.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12654 by
Growing up it was the Lightsaber that attracted me to not only Star Wars, but to every other type of sword wielding combat. Of course now I understand the amount of control and responsibilty that a weapon demands, but the Lightsaber will always have a special place for me =). For the last number of years I have devoted my life to learning the way of the Jedi, and how to defend myself. I have done multiple Martial-Arts, and believe it or not the Lightsaber combat forms I have learned actually help me with the other practices, and visa-versa.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12693 by
too true training with a lightsaber is good for teaching handling weapons with care and respect. i imagine everyone here likely uses some sort of mock saber that is very likely not cheap and might be a collectible worth a fair amount of money. we learn to pass that care and respect to real weapons, even the ones that are \"so uncivilized\".

essentially it's a weapon that one slip up and you would be missing your arm or worse. it would be a weightless blade, that you couldn't touch and therefore it limits you on many maneuvers and defense tricks. working with most of those limits (although there is some weight to the blades) it helps keep focus and concentration.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12747 by
I would like to learn more moves and to get beter at the ones that i know

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi