Lightsaber Training

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4102 by
Replied by on topic Re:Lightsaber Training
Look at the temple forms and the Jedi Manual...

Hmmm....i guess your right on the hole katana thing
well i guess a weapon wouldnt be the best idea any way.
well we do have fist and people willing to teach but the law of averages tells us that sooner or later our order will have to fight evil with another type of evil... what i mean is killing is bad no matter what...but some times you have to pick the lesser of 2 evils...
so then i ask you what will we use?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4105 by
I believe that one of the best ways for us to learn control is to learn to use a weapon with precision. My weapon of choice are the sai's and not because on ninja turtles or Elektra (although i have learned few things from the movie), it is mostly because i like the weapon and it is requiring me to learn to use both hands. As a girl (no i am not weak, and i am sorry if i insult any other ladies in here) i like light weapons. I like distant weapons (ie bow and arrow). And, i know this has nothing to do with the movies but if you look in the Role Playing Game, Pen and Paper, you will see that not all jedi used Lightsabers threwout the mythology of Star Wars, they also used guns (with the force, complicated) and some developed various methods of using basic weapon. It all depends on the individual. And the martial arts style, if you want to get a good idea about the various lightsaber forms you should look at the \"hero's guide\" of the role playing game books. Just a suggestion, i know i am more then likely more geekier then most here but hey, that's me :silly:

MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4106 by
lol. that's not an insult at all. Girls aren't weak. But lighter weapons are easier for us to us. i know i use a smaller lighter staff then the boys at my school cause it's easy and best for me. I agree, presicion training with weapons is the best way. I prefer to use double Arabian Broadswords, or chinese broadswords (what an unoriginal freak...i know...lol). another weapon that i have found good to simulate lightsabers is the chinese straight sword. While the blade isn't durable in a real fight, simulation of lightsabers it does well.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4108 by
multiple styles? Hmmm....ok i can see that.
well i'll stick to my Katana as weapon of choice.
BUT i guess im also geeky kuz i already know the lightsaber forms.(can be applied to any weapon)
ill try to summaries them

Shii-Cho:
The Jedi initiate rank, first learn Form 1 before they begin a Padawan apprenticeship with a Jedi Master. Jedi taught Shii-Cho first because of its simplicity and versatility.In Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, the Younglings can be seen being taught by Yoda to deflect light blaster bolts. They are in the beginning stages of Form 1

Makashi:
After Form 1's proliferation as a saber combat technique, Form 2 came about as a means of lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat. It is described as being very elegant, powerful, and requiring extreme precision, allowing the user to attack and defend with minimal effort, while his opponent tires himself out.

Soresu:
Form 3, the most defensive of all of the forms.Soresu utilizes motions occurring very close to the body to achieve near-total protection, efficiently expending as little energy as possible to execute these moves. This technique exposes as few target zones on the body as possible, making a well-trained practitioner nearly impenetrable. However, Soresu's same dedication to defense and minimal bodily exposure also decreases the lightsaber's threat range.

Ataru: THE FORM I USE ALL THE TIME
The master practitioners of Form 4 make extensive use of acrobatic maneuvers often thought physically impossible without the aid of the Force.Ataru relies on wide slashes, acrobatic proficiency and an open space for the Jedi to fight.Ataru practitioners are at a great disadvantage if fighting in a small area.Yoda, however, practiced Form 4 with such speed that, when coupled with his small size, left every point on an opponent's body open to attack while more than adequately defending himself.
Yoda was acknowledged as the greatest master of Ataru. He used it in almost all of his battles, and the style made him a virtually unstoppable whirlwind of destruction despite his small size

Shien / Djem Sot can be described as a mix of medieval swordmanship and kendo

Form 5 was developed by Jedi Master Plo Koon who felt that Form 3 was too passive, while Form 4 was not powerful enough.It addressed the shortcomings of both forms

Niman:
Form 6 attempts to balance all elements of lightsaber combat, combining the Forms that came before into a less intensely demanding combat style. The result is that the users' skill in each individual areas of lightsaber combat is only moderate

Vaapad
The most challenging and demanding of all forms, Form 7requires intense focus, high levels of skill, and mastery of other forms
However, Vaapad borders on the edge of using the dark side, as it channels one's anger and darkness into the attack

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4121 by
you know what though you should also add to you're training a staff, for as of right now we will never use a sword in combat, but the staff could come in handy. violence is a last step by any means but when you have to use it then use it right, and respectful. one of the main things to always remember when in combat or a fight is to always respect them. honor is a big thing not now a days but to jedi and other people it still is there. never take away you're honor, for a vendetta.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4122 by
Yes, revenge is not the way of the Jedi. Seek Justice, not Revenge

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4123 by
Arrogance: The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty.
you cant just say that we cant use a sword as a weapon. besides in my way of using a sword i feel that my goal is a sword that brings life not one that takes it...i get the feeling that your comment Dan as a little to direct and rude.keep in mind that there is not ignorance there is only knowledge.so learning to use a sword is one thing using it to kill is another
with a sword i i can cut your bow staff
how can i defend a life if my own life is so at risk.I understand that it is a lethal weapon but some times evil must be fought by a different type of evil...:S

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4139 by
Sincrad wrote:

Arrogance: The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty.
you cant just say that we cant use a sword as a weapon. besides in my way of using a sword i feel that my goal is a sword that brings life not one that takes it...i get the feeling that your comment Dan as a little to direct and rude.keep in mind that there is not ignorance there is only knowledge.so learning to use a sword is one thing using it to kill is another
with a sword i i can cut your bow staff
how can i defend a life if my own life is so at risk.I understand that it is a lethal weapon but some times evil must be fought by a different type of evil...:S

Please do not take this as a slight against you, for I am a great lover of swords also, though, not nearly as proficient with them as I would like to be. This is also making a statement towards Dan's comment, that \"We will never use a sword in combat\". First, never is too final a word, because, there are people who use swords in combat everyday, granted, they are reenactors, but, you can still become seriously injured in those combats. Secondly, the only true weapon that we ever use, is ourselves, more importantly, our brains.

How many times, have you ever seen, or heard of, a sword, attacking and killing someone of its own volition? Never, I know, a finality, however, in this instance, the finality is appropritae. A human being, regardless of their level of training, is the only weapon that we will ever truly use, swords, staves, whips, guns, whatever, they are only tools, means to an end. If we keep that in mind, then it matters not what we train with, only that we are doing something, (Training), to focus ourselves, and to release pent up frustrations, and so long as we are releasing these frustrations against an inanimate object, say, a fighting Pell(dummy), then we are doing right by the Force, and ourselves.

No skill, regardless of it's practicality of actually being used, is worth not practicing, or learning.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4158 by
I can also not see how a sword would be more \"Civilized\". Is it really more civilized to hack someone apart, or stab them and let them suffer and die, rather than just shoot them? This idea survives from old, Samurai and Spartan etc.. that thought the use of ranged weapons was cowardly.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4217 by
ok read my words, as of right now. that is what i said, not never ever. and my comment was not rude nor to direct because of the simple fact that, if you ignore the knowledge which these days seem to be more common, then there is ignorance. thats what i am saying. If you believe that i have a staff and you have a sword, and i let you cut my staff then i shouldn't be fighting you in the first place. there are many ways to use both weapons, and i wouldn't rely on the sharpness of my sword if i were you. just because you're weapon of choice is one on a higher level than mine, does not better it. my words were to suggest an alternate weapon, yet you all seem to take what i am saying as an attack against you're weapons. instead of reading something then right away posting how you feel, i suggest you read and read again, try to understand what the other side is saying, if you cant then ask the other side what they mean. i have learned this through my many years of jeddism. just so you all know i train with swords staffs and other weapons, i do not dislike nor do i disapprove any weapon. not even a gun. what i say is out of what i have done and gone through. and i feel that no weapon is really civilized because it is used to kill. so i can not help you in that area. If you don't understand what i am saying in this post than please do message me in private and we will go over it. as for now we should just get back to the topic at hand.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi