Lightsaber Training

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2979 by
Lightsaber Training was created by
I'm amazed as yet this has not been brought up in this form. What about lightsaber training? It is the symbol of the Jedi is it not?

To start the conversation I want to share this link to the NY Jedi page. For me the inclusion of Lightsaber training (or fencing, kendo, kobudo etc.) is an important aspect of following the Jedi path. For those who are interested and not sure where to start this might be helpful.

http://nyjedi.com/film.html#training

Thank you and MTFBWY

Shugyo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2980 by
Replied by on topic Re:Lightsaber Training
Actually , that is really more the symbol of the Movie Characters. we are not movie characters, but real Jedi in this universe. But sword training is certainly encouraged as a decision for each jedi to make for themselves.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2983 by
An interesting point you bring up there my friend. And right you are that the lightsaber isn't necessarily symbolic of true Jedi in the world. I think I meant the statement much more generally and inclusively. I think it's safe to say that most lay people immediately equate Jedi and lightsabers.

In my case, if it weren't for the movie Jedi and the archetypes they represent I would never had searched out this path, and in my personal Jedi \"journey\" I cannot discount the lightsaber's importance in the mythology and philosophy that is Star Wars. To me it is s symbol of action with reason, justice and even-handedness. The light from a saber represents to me true enlightenment, cutting through darkness and seeking clarity. And for me a symbol I choose to honor. I hope my reverence for \"fictional\" Jedi is not misinturpreted as not taking Jediism seriously.

To others who may feel as I do, or for those who think it might be a \"fun\" way of exploring this path (I don't think fun and religion should be mutually exclusive) I would like to continue to suggest lightsaber resources. The benefits of training with and even building a \"lightsaber\" may be valuable to some of us just as they were for the fictional Jedi.

MTFBWY

-Shugyo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2984 by
Shugyo wrote:

An interesting point you bring up there my friend. And right you are that the lightsaber isn't necessarily symbolic of true Jedi in the world. I think I meant the statement much more generally and inclusively. I think it's safe to say that most lay people immediately equate Jedi and lightsabers.

In my case, if it weren't for the movie Jedi and the archetypes they represent I would never had searched out this path, and in my personal Jedi \"journey\" I cannot discount the lightsaber's importance in the mythology and philosophy that is Star Wars. To me it is s symbol of action with reason, justice and even-handedness. The light from a saber represents to me true enlightenment, cutting through darkness and seeking clarity. And for me a symbol I choose to honor. I hope my reverence for \"fictional\" Jedi is not misinturpreted as not taking Jediism seriously.

To others who may feel as I do, or for those who think it might be a \"fun\" way of exploring this path (I don't think fun and religion should be mutually exclusive) I would like to continue to suggest lightsaber resources. The benefits of training with and even building a \"lightsaber\" may be valuable to some of us just as they were for the fictional Jedi.

MTFBWY

-Shugyo

I would never say that it should not be explored. We are indeed here to have fun as we journey on our paths and youre right...they certainly shouldnt be mutually exclusive. And i'm certain that training with any weapon builds discipline. Certainly, Have fun...and MTFBWY!!:)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #3683 by
If training with a lightsaber is a way for you to practice concentration and build strength, then there is no danger. However, it is very, very,
( very), important that you understand that the study of lightsaber training as seen in the movies is only STAGE COMBAT. Real combat will be very different, and if you plan to use simple weapons (not a lightsaber of course, that's another mistake you really do not want to make lol) such as a baton, or if you need to use a stick in a worst case scenario, learn ahead of time, the real techniques for armed combat.

I am only saying this because I would feel very sad if anyone here based there fighting techniques on the movies and is severely hurt as a consequence.

And as always, we should seek the most peaceful solution, only using force when necessary.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #3707 by
\"...A Jedi's weapon, not as clumsy or random as a blaster\"
Ben Kenobi
I think the point of this movement is to instill serenity in our own communities. The lightsaber is symobolic of the Star Wars films, not this movement. In my view peace and well being is the symbol of this movement. Whilst the concept of lightsabers is cool, I personally would not condone the use of any weapon unless in self defence, and as long as proper proportionality is used. Weaponry is not something to be taken lightly to use yet another Star Wars quote, \"We are keepers of the peace, not soldiers\"
Master Windu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #3718 by
As you mentioned, the lightsaber is a symbol of the Jedi from the Star Wars Saga that is part of the mythology behind our Order. That being kept in mind, having a saber hilt that is hung from the belt during formal events and whatnot could be used to do just that, symbolize where the Order got it's roots. We all know lightsabers are not real energy bladed weapons, but they are out there for dueling purposes, costuming, and the like. There are numerous sources to which you can go for information on these. I, for one, am a big Star Wars fan and I'm about to start machining lightsaber hilts as a hobby (My wife blessed my doing so). All that I can really say about this is, SAFETY! If one wants to duel, make sure there is the proper instruction and steps taken to keep someone from getting hurt.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4097 by
I know the Jedi manual already tells us what weapon we need to use.
The films take place \"a long time ago\" but to us a light saber is a futuristic weapon...so like the manual says i light saber is a futuristic form of a Katana
This weapon has a more civilised way of fighting...
If no one ubjects i think having a katana hanging from our side could defuse a potentially dangerous situation,even when inactive!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4098 by
Unfortunatly, having such a wepon noticable and hanging at your side would promote the wrong image. People would see you as being a little..spaceshot...in other words would not take you seriously. Now I don't think that is the case, and I can absolutly see your point! But remember, when in rome, dress as the romans do. (I altered the saying slightly)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4099 by
i like this idea, i was planning on a steady training cadre,
ive studied wushu for about 6-7 years, the man who taught me was a chinese barefoot doctor, thats a shaolin traveling monk for those who havent heard of it,

i belive that most things we learn should be defensive in nature,
and im a firm advocate of a disiplined body advances a disiplined mind, because of this close synergy, i feel that we all should pratice meditation as well as defensive combat training, imsorry if this has all been said somewhere else, with the things going on up here what with the temple and all, ive not had much time to browse the information section,

so if we do have this type of system already in place, someone let me know, and where ican take a look at it.

may the force be with you all,
andrew

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi