Lightsaber Training

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17695 by
Replied by on topic Re:Lightsaber Training
Although real lightsber training is not viable at this time the training it is base on is there are many martial arts that can help you begin training to a certain extent. since the light saber is based primarily on the Japanese arts I suggest you find a qualified teacher in one of these initially Iaido, Shinkendo, Kenjitsu, Kendo. you can also learn Escrima (fillipino art), Hai Dong Gumdo (Korean art),and of course Chinese sword arts. another less known style are your european forms all of these can start you on a good path. now in my time teaching martial arts I have seen many schools move away from weapons traing stating that it was not practical in today's world that is thier believe and I respect that however in chinese arts the physical use of a weapon is the beginning later you learn realize that weapons training enhances all your physical aspects but also inhances the mind thru focus teaches you how to move energy both internally and externally in essence you are learning to become aprt of and use the force so you may not be able to slice a Buick in have like hot butter you will grow as a person within the force and that in it's self is a good thing.

MTFBWY

Dagan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17696 by
I believe Chinese Police/Military still use sword training as part of the overall program ... ans for any weapon training not being 'relevant' in todays world, well... that may well be true, but that could be said of many things, so what about continuing such things for tradition and to prevnt these arts from dying out altogether.

Its like (for example) asking why people go fishing with rod and line when a trawler will do the work and catch the fish... simple answer is people still enjoy the tactile element of interacting with nature so why is it so different to enjoy learning an ancient skill and enjoy the sensation of learning to handle 'old' weapons properly.

The list of comparisons is endless, but whatever, the idea of 'why teach the sword when we have guns' especially from a martial artist actually saddens me.

I still practise archery... it too could be pointless but it is a skill and like many martial arts teaching many things beyond the physical shooting

MTFBWY - A

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17701 by
I believe you may have missed my point or maybe I miss understood your reply I was not speaking of myself when I spoke of those who think weapons training is not practical.

As a instructor for 15 years and a former Staff Sergeant in the Army Infantry with 13 yrs of service two of those years in combat I can assure you that I teach weapons as part of my curriculum and know there many benifits

and swords are not persay practical nor allowed in the modern american military.

the machete is still carried and the principles of use are the same In my 25 years of constant study of the martial sciences I have heard many speak of what works and why and I dont teach that because

I have found that some who spoke dabbbled in this or that and did not have all the facts others simply chose not for thier reasons.

In arts where weapons are an intrical part of training practicality is seldom metioned as true practitioners and masters understand the reality of what they are teaching

The other reality is that some schools do not teach weapons due to liabilities lets face it few schools screen thier students you never know who may decide today i am the highlander or if they are emotionally developed enough to not hurt themselves or others.

sadly to often those who merely dabble in martial arts ie the person with 10 green belts a yellow and an orange who figure all those together make a black belt are the most dangerous I know in Kung Fu San Soo we as instructors dont consider anyone in our art a true martial artist until they earn thier black belt /sash because in our art as with others that is where training truely begins.

Please understand that I am no novice and joined this site because it is trying to promote a religion that has a future and I am well studied in the arts martial and other and as I have in other posts trust me when I say I know what I am talking about.

In closing I realize I am new here and there may be those who feel that I need tested or have thier apporoval to be here again thats thier journey to them I will say this I have no need to be untrue about who I am or what I have done the goverment has given me all the credentials I need and more qualified masters than I have given me the rest if I offended anyone I am sorry but I have had my fill of dime store philosiphers and arm chair warriors.

MTFBWY

Dagan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17726 by
I am currently in search of a weapons related martial arts to better hone my relationship with the Force. I am stationed at Ft. Sill and Lawton seems limited on resources. I figured that once I finish my lightsaber hilt, I can corrolate it with one of the arts. I was thinking of Tai Chi or something of that sort. Any suggestions?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17727 by
any sword related art or even european style fencing or medieval style combat.

Not really a recommendation, but if really stuck for tuition, there are soome good books to be found on such subject... if you get really stuck, pm me and i'll suggest a few books ;)

MTFBWY - A

PS whatever you do, take care and play safe ;)

More
15 years 8 months ago #17947 by Grom Fett
Replied by Grom Fett on topic Re:Lightsaber Training
im not really for Lighsaber training but i do love fight so its so so for me so can someone send me so good place to start with lightsaber training
thanks

Former Master:Br John
Rite:Jediism Rite
Former Apprentice: Knight Apprentice OwenShea 11/08, Angelus 11/09
Current Apprentice:

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it

We all have our heroes. And when we watch them fall, we die inside.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17948 by
Well, you could start with NYjedi.com they have instructional videos on some of the lightsaber forms.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi