Lightsaber Training

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4221 by
Replied by on topic Re:Lightsaber Training
Well, doesn't this topic get you all riled up! DAN, I feel ya, sometimes people think before they act, in this case post. That is where your emotions take over. Seperate yourself from your attachments, or your arguments. 'Know you will, when you are calm, at peace'

Ok, the lightsaber thing, it ain't gonna happen. I know the movies build up this grand image in your mind about heroism, and the 'glory' of combat. Learning to protect yourself is one thing, learning to harm that is a different thing.

Defense, thats the name of the game for us. Til such time we have the ability to use a lightsaber, we should stick with martial arts and boxing. Also, learning these techniques and styles will help with your meditation. That's a big plus!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4240 by
Wow, so brutal a topic we seem to have stumbled upon, lol. Oh, this is great, I love a good heated debate now and again. People are so touchy about things here sometimes it seems, everyone thinks that everyone else is attacking them, or being rude. We just need to realize that no one is attacking anyone here.....at least not intentionally, we're all just stating personal points of view on a topic of weaponry, and the possibility of using said weaponry whenever in our lives. Calm everyone, take a deep breath or ten, let them out slowly.....better now?

Alright, I understand where Dan is coming from, I also understand where the others that have posted the beauty of swords are coming from. As for the lightsabers.....well, technically, they do exist, albeit as replicas from the movies, or something that's been home brewed, so in a way, we can use them now, heck, you could get a piece of PVC, wrap it in pipe insulation, give it a layer of colored tape, and voila! you have your own personal \"lightsaber\".

All these things are great tools for meditative purposes, and for the release of pent up frustration, how you do that, is what we need to keep in check. So, from yet another personal point of view, there's no reason to blow our lids on this subject, we're all wrong, and we're all right.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 9 months ago #4241 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Lightsaber Training
I find the conversation about weapons very interesting. As a Samurai, King Arthur, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars fan I also attach a certain amount of idealism to swords and their use. The Laws here in Germany are so strickt, however, that to even carry a pocket knife could get you into trouble. Something which I cannot afford to have. But because the Laws are so tight the number of violent crimes are low, reducing the need to defend oneself in this way. The Art of Sword fighting is something for sports clubs or at best for the imagination.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4242 by
i dont want to seem like im instagating anything but id really like to get my point across
Starting with Dan you can say Never all you want but you cant stop some one from doing what they have to.If i have to use a sword i will...if i have to use a gun i will....will i like i probably not.but if i have to pic one or the other id pick a sword...
now its your turn osgoodj (not to be mean) why is a sword more \"Civilized\" than a gun because of the honor it stands for.ANY ONE can shoot a gun even a 3 year old kid can come up behind me and KABLAMOO!!
id like to see a kid lift let alone swing a sword hard nuff to do and kind of damage...there have been wars with kid using guns
if the same kids used sword i wouldnt have to use any weapon at all.
its not that hard to get around a sword and with the martial arts we learn i can disarm him
how do i disarm a sniper? true if i had a sword the sniper can sill take me out but thats not my point its not about the better weapon its about why you pick that weapon.
i pick a sword because i know when to and when not to use it, and that makes me more of a Jedi than days of posting on this site.

Forgive me for being so blunt but as Jedi we cant just tell each other no
Dan by saying NEVER if i were to use on you would tell me not to and if i continued you would take some sort of action...on the other hand if you didnt than why say no in the first place. also if you kept telling me no it would become and ORDER and only soldiers follow orders without thinking it throw.WE ARE NOT SOLDIERS so i will continue to press my idea not because its right (to me there is no right and wrong) but its a good idea to have the freedom to pick my own path.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 9 months ago #4243 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Lightsaber Training
What happens to me then? As a Jedi in Germany I don`t have a chance. I cannot get a sword even if I wanted one. I belong to one of those who post for days, does that make me a Jedi? Computers can do that. For me, when I hold my wife in my arms, I delight in the smile on my daughter`s face, listen to leaves shaking in the wind on a hot summer`s day, to say hello to someone I don`t know....is where Jedism comes to life. How simple and full of feeling life can be!

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4249 by
Wow, this conversation is getting painfully interesting, lol. As for the Jedi part, posting online does not a Jedi make, swinging a sword, does not a Jedi make. Saying NEVER, does not a Jedi make. As Jedi, we are open to all things, or are supposed to be at the least. If training with a sword, which I happen to enjoy, even though mine is Rattan wrapped in tape to prolong the even of it splintering upon contact with a steel helm, or person's body during combat, makes you feel more Jedi, then you should possibly take a better look at yourself, and reconsider your POV of the chosen life of Jedi. If you say NEVER to things of this nature, you should also take a better look at why you've chosen to be a Jedi.

To me, being Jedi, is in how you live your life, regardless of the extracurricular activities that you choose to partake of. Learning to use the sword, is not a bad thing, coming here and talking to other Jedi, is not a bad thing. Saying NEVER, is being too narrow minded of certain things, and I certainly hope that it is not the case of the Jedi in question. Perhaps, we should, for the time being at least, put this little tiff on hold, and take a better look at ourselves, before continuing this, I think that we are just pointing fingers, and nay-saying, something that, at some point in our lives, we are all extremely guilty of doing.

To be Jedi is more than just practicing the sword, it is in how you live, and act, and look at the rest of life that we all live.

MTFBWY all, and always

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4264 by
Br. Shaun FDC wrote:

Wow, this conversation is getting painfully interesting, lol. As for the Jedi part, posting online does not a Jedi make, swinging a sword, does not a Jedi make.

Dan has a good point some time people need to reread things before replying to them.

i did not say swinging a sword made me a Jedi.
i said
\"KNOWING WHEN TO USE AND WHEN NOT TO USE MY SWORD MAKES ME MORE OF A JEDI THAN POSTING ONLINE\"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4266 by
Sincrad wrote:

i said
\"KNOWING WHEN TO USE AND WHEN NOT TO USE MY SWORD MAKES ME MORE OF A JEDI THAN POSTING ONLINE\"[/quote]

Now THAT, is an interesting statement......Exactly how did you come to that conclusion? And if you want to look at it that way, what of the folk who have no desire to wield a blade, or stave, or gun? Are they less of a Jedi than you are, just because they would rather come here and post online?

I would really like to hear that explained to me, and mind you, before exploding on me, which most do when I reply in this fashion, I'm out for enlightenment, and your explanation would enlighten me as to your thoughts on that one.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4270 by
Br. Shaun FDC wrote:

Sincrad wrote:

i said
\"KNOWING WHEN TO USE AND WHEN NOT TO USE MY SWORD MAKES ME MORE OF A JEDI THAN POSTING ONLINE\"

Now THAT, is an interesting statement......Exactly how did you come to that conclusion? And if you want to look at it that way, what of the folk who have no desire to wield a blade, or stave, or gun? Are they less of a Jedi than you are, just because they would rather come here and post online?

I would really like to hear that explained to me, and mind you, before exploding on me, which most do when I reply in this fashion, I'm out for enlightenment, and your explanation would enlighten me as to your thoughts on that one.[/quote]

Actually this is very diplomatic of you.

Throwing in my two cents here...more than just the physical acts themselves it is important to remember the qualities and virtues that are disseminated through learning these weapons. I personally do not choose to use any weapon (not that i cannot do so, this blackbelt may come in handy SOMEday, LOL) but look at this. Sure you learn how to properly position your feet for the various swings that are effective to use in sword play, but what does all this get you that is non-tangible? I'll tell you...Discipline, reserve, concern, focus, and many many more virtues important to all Jedi. Don't forget that learning a martial art is rarely about learning a method of defence and commonly about learning what you are capable of. The Path of self discovery for a Jedi never ends.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4278 by
[/quote]

Now THAT, is an interesting statement......Exactly how did you come to that conclusion? And if you want to look at it that way, what of the folk who have no desire to wield a blade, or stave, or gun?

[/quote]

Why are you brining other FOLK into this this isn't about me being better than any one.
plz read the hole post. this is about Dan saying

\"We will never use sword in combat\"

to me that means \"DANNY YOU WILL NEVER USE A SWORD\"
its sounds like an order because its coming from a higher rank
only soldiers follow orders without question. \"Jedi are not soldiers\"
Dan you are a master im here to learn form you.Not do what you tell me to.

normally id be the one working with both sides to figure out what both sides should do.But right now im just defending my self against a group of people that are supposed to be diplomats.
sorry but if your picking a side you've stopped being a diplomats and you've become one of the fighters.
for ever one that just posted a weapon preference MTFBWY
for every one that is tring to tell me im wrong or that im saying things to make my self look better im sorry.
no man rules my destiny

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi