Best martial art?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #202157 by
Replied by on topic Best martial art?
Oooh I'm excited I get to help with this! This is right up my alley. I've studied martial arts for over 25 years. I stared when I was 4. It's part of who I am and I couldn't be happier about it. I've studied various arts over the years but two in particular that I truly love are Jeet Kune Do and Tai Chi. Tai Chi really helps center me. When the world feels like a whirl wind around me it helps to calm me down and refocus. Jeet Kune Do is just awesome. It's fantastic for fitness and self defense. It's often considered a dirty art because you poke, grab, bite, pinch. Because let's be serious in a situation why not? Haha.

I will say one other thing about tai chi. Most folks think it is for older people that do it in parks. While it is great for all ages the art itself can be used for self defense. It teaches you how to use your body and move as one...as well as gsin strength and power from the chi (or force) around you. It's an incredible feeling when you can feel the life force moving through your body. It hits you like a wave.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #203775 by
I don't think any single MA is best in for all situations. Wrestling, Boxing and MMA might be the most effective MA because the basic principles are easier to learn. However, I've seen some very effective practitioners of Karate, Judo, Hapkido and TKD in real life situations. I think some of the more traditional MA's are more difficult to master and results in their lower level/least experienced practitioners being less effective than someone of similar level in MMA, Wrestling or BJJ.

IMO, if you are looking for real world effectiveness you need to train in a variety of MA's and blend grappling and striking MA's.

IME, Hapkido seems to be pretty effective as well without blending.

More
7 years 10 months ago #240113 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Best martial art?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGpDVCkhtD4

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

More
7 years 7 months ago #253156 by OB1Shinobi
an article from grapplearts.com

http://www.grapplearts.com/asian-grappling-styles/

Asian Grappling Styles

Warning: Spoiler!

People are complicated.

More
7 years 6 months ago #255541 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Best martial art?
I wanted to bump with the thought that without proper conditioning, no martial art will help you in a fight. Having endurance wins more fights than anything else, and this is from a practical, real world view point. For us Americans, one of our biggest flaws is often a sedentary lifestyle. I know many "snap out" or "black belt" or "street tough" fighters who think they will win...until about 20 seconds of intense cardio have them bending over begging for a break.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #255793 by
Does someone like chopsticks? :blink: I was told many years ago that it was in Asia part of some fight styles. Sadly I do not have much information about it, but well.. could be fun if you are in the mood to try.. .. :side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WH4Y1hYm7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHOXbfjWJsU

Takenouchi-ryû
Koryū
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by .

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #255809 by OB1Shinobi
i think the chopsticks would break in the grip he is using

personally i would think of chopsticks as being a fragile puncturing tool, and because of their fragility, using them on harder targets where the muscles are thick, such as the abdomen, or where there are bones to obstruct, such as the rib cage, will probably result in their breaking

also i would add that puncturing into organs is a Deadly Force tactic and should only be used if you think it is appropriate to kill the other person

p.s. throwing things is fun!

thanks for sharing the videos :-)
though i critiqued the one, i did enjoy them

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #255815 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: i think the chopsticks would break in the grip he is using

Metal/steel chopsticks are also in use.. for example, in Korea it is more used than every other material.. :blush: In material arts, steel is preferred over bamboo or wood in many occasions, good example is the fan and the war tessen, war fans are normally made from wood or steel too.. fans were also used besides fighting in tessenjustu, to aid in swimming, to cool the body, and to guide armies.. tools have many uses, and materials variate depending on the ryū and situation. :)
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by .

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #255822 by OB1Shinobi
it is especially interesting to me that fans were used to direct troops; thats a cool little piece of military trivia

https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/art-asia/art-japan/edo-period/a/military-leaders-fan

thanks Codex, that was informative B)

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd,

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #279624 by OB1Shinobi
man tries to rape a woman who trains brazilian jiujitsu (spoiler alert: it didnt work)

Warning: Spoiler!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi