Best martial art?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #159262 by
Replied by on topic Best martial art?
As far as the best martial art goes, there isnt one. You win and lose with a mindset. I have never liked tournament style martial arts. Many of the black belts of tournament styles are nothing more than a paper black belt. Worthless in a true fight. But the ones that aren't, they have an entirely different mindset.

Just food for thought. Master Yip said that the problem lies not with your art, but within yourself.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #159264 by

Calanon wrote:

Aqua wrote:

RyuJin wrote: Speaking of long range muzzle velocity have you seen the new developments in making the ar platform long range capable...pretty cool...

Martial means military, so martial arts means military arts...it stands to reason that for them to be effective in any situation you must then strive to understand and utilize a wide array of military arts....strategy, hand to hand, grappling, melee weapons ranged weapons, etc...a soldier/warrior must be like a multi tool, multi tools have a variety of tools to answer a variety of tasks...

Are you sure? I have no doubt in your warrior understanding, You have more understanding about the warrior than I have in this live, but like a multi tool?

A tool with one purpose is very good in a specific line work and will work a lifetime. A tool with multiple purposes does a nice job over multiple lines of work, but when preforming one specific line of work it will not last long..

My question is: If a soldier or warrior is a like a multi tool.. How can it preform multi tasks as well as single tasks? Or do I have to make a split up between two types of warriors/ soldiers.

Just wondering ;)

The difference between a human and a tool is all the difference in the world.
However..
It depends on the quality of the tool itself. My dad has his military issue multitool still.. 24 or so years after getting it.. it works just fine and shows no sign breaking down. On a multitool you have multiple tools. Each one designed for a specific task, or line of work. It is using these in ways they shouldn't be used that causes issues and faults.

A warrior should also be able to perform multiple function based upon the situation. Sometimes the situation requires to kill. Others it just requires to be restrained. Sometimes they just have to beat someone to a bloody pulp.

As a student of martial arts, I'm going to put forth that you're both right at the same time as being wrong.

The way of the warrior, the art of peace, is not for killing or causing harm. It can be used in that manner, but first and foremost, it is the art of the defense of others. Sometimes defending another will be violent, and the warrior must always be prepared for that possibility. But a well thought answer usually makes any aggressor think twice. It is this function that warriors are meant to serve. To keep the peace, violently if needful.

The difference between a multitool and a soldier is that the tool is just that. An inanimate object in the hands of another. A warrior is like a tool because they exist in the will of their purpose.

Hopefully that answers your questions.

-Calanon

It gives answers, covering it not entirely.

saying that I am right and wrong at the same time.. duality as the vibration of live. Your words have a deeper message if you see it..

After saying that, I have trained in multiple aspects of bushido for quite some time, although not as much as some knights here that are way beyond me but in the time I was a student I learned some wise words from my sensei.

,,Bushido, way of the warrior, the first you must learn is to build character. In combat you must take your enemy down as quick as possible, when it comes a fight.''

The way of the warrior is indeed about self developing. The etiquette is about protecting, the deeds are about how to kill your enemy as fast as possible. Include to see who is your enemy, like understanding how to kill your enemy in means of the objective. Good example is the myth of the samurai:

A samurai warrior once was charged with avenging a noble's death at the hands of a rival warlord. He trained for four years, studied the warlord's habits, and planned his attack. When the day came, he stealthily approached the warlord when he was alone, and cornered him. The samurai held his katana aloft, poised to strike the final blow, when the warlord, utterly defeated, spit in the face of the samurai. The samurai sheathed his sword and walked away, rather than kill the warlord out of anger.

Killing is the way of the warrior, like a blossom flower, a handsome way of expressing art, but gone within seconds on the battlefield when in combat. If we look at Jujutsu, Ninjutsu, Kyūsho and Iaido and Kadō. We can see that there is a point of self defence for the mental philosophy behind it.
But the techniques are all lethal and deadly within seconds. The way of bushido is all about: if you want to use a technique in her full potential or not.. Designed to kill, used to the situation that is required. Adaptation can be found in the eight rules of samurai.

Small reminder in case for the people who do not know, Kadō is the art of flower arranging, used in bushido to teach the beauty of live that can be gone after creating the inner weapon. It becomes more and more until it is complete and looks very good. After a short time it is gone..

Kadō is understanding the true essence of bushido. Try to understand that part and understand that bushido is killing, within adaptation of techniques required to the situation.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #159396 by

Aqua wrote:

Calanon wrote:

Aqua wrote:

RyuJin wrote: Speaking of long range muzzle velocity have you seen the new developments in making the ar platform long range capable...pretty cool...

Martial means military, so martial arts means military arts...it stands to reason that for them to be effective in any situation you must then strive to understand and utilize a wide array of military arts....strategy, hand to hand, grappling, melee weapons ranged weapons, etc...a soldier/warrior must be like a multi tool, multi tools have a variety of tools to answer a variety of tasks...

Are you sure? I have no doubt in your warrior understanding, You have more understanding about the warrior than I have in this live, but like a multi tool?

A tool with one purpose is very good in a specific line work and will work a lifetime. A tool with multiple purposes does a nice job over multiple lines of work, but when preforming one specific line of work it will not last long..

My question is: If a soldier or warrior is a like a multi tool.. How can it preform multi tasks as well as single tasks? Or do I have to make a split up between two types of warriors/ soldiers.

Just wondering ;)

However..
It depends on the quality of the tool itself. My dad has his military issue multitool still.. 24 or so years after getting it.. it works just fine and shows no sign breaking down. On a multitool you have multiple tools. Each one designed for a specific task, or line of work. It is using these in ways they shouldn't be used that causes issues and faults.

A warrior should also be able to perform multiple function based upon the situation. Sometimes the situation requires to kill. Others it just requires to be restrained. Sometimes they just have to beat someone to a bloody pulp.

As a student of martial arts, I'm going to put forth that you're both right at the same time as being wrong.

The way of the warrior, the art of peace, is not for killing or causing harm. It can be used in that manner, but first and foremost, it is the art of the defense of others. Sometimes defending another will be violent, and the warrior must always be prepared for that possibility. But a well thought answer usually makes any aggressor think twice. It is this function that warriors are meant to serve. To keep the peace, violently if needful.

The difference between a multitool and a soldier is that the tool is just that. An inanimate object in the hands of another. A warrior is like a tool because they exist in the will of their purpose.

-Calanon

saying that I am right and wrong at the same time.. duality as the vibration of live. Your words have a deeper message if you see it..

After saying that, I have trained in multiple aspects of bushido for quite some time, although not as much as some knights here that are way beyond me but in the time I was a student I learned some wise words from my sensei.

,,Bushido, way of the warrior, the first you must learn is to build character. In combat you must take your enemy down as quick as possible, when it comes a fight.''

The way of the warrior is indeed about self developing. The etiquette is about protecting, the deeds are about how to kill your enemy as fast as possible. Include to see who is your enemy, like understanding how to kill your enemy in means of the objective. Good example is the myth of the samurai:

A samurai warrior once was charged with avenging a noble's death at the hands of a rival warlord. He trained for four years, studied the warlord's habits, and planned his attack. When the day came, he stealthily approached the warlord when he was alone, and cornered him. The samurai held his katana aloft, poised to strike the final blow, when the warlord, utterly defeated, spit in the face of the samurai. The samurai sheathed his sword and walked away, rather than kill the warlord out of anger.

Killing is the way of the warrior, like a blossom flower, a handsome way of expressing art, but gone within seconds on the battlefield when in combat. If we look at Jujutsu, Ninjutsu, Kyūsho and Iaido and Kadō. We can see that there is a point of self defence for the mental philosophy behind it.
But the techniques are all lethal and deadly within seconds. The way of bushido is all about: if you want to use a technique in her full potential or not.. Designed to kill, used to the situation that is required. Adaptation can be found in the eight rules of samurai.

Small reminder in case for the people who do not know, Kadō is the art of flower arranging, used in bushido to teach the beauty of live that can be gone after creating the inner weapon. It becomes more and more until it is complete and looks very good. After a short time it is gone..

Kadō is understanding the true essence of bushido. Try to understand that part and understand that bushido is killing, within adaptation of techniques required to the situation.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I see why you think that way, but all I have to say in reply is to give you the words of the great Master.

Attachment h6ec76b6.jpeg not found

That said, I do understand where you come from, but all the great masters disagree with you. Master Yip of Wing chun. Master Bruce Lee of water.. and so many others..

To take your enemy down in a fight as quickly as possible does not mean to kill. It is a mercy to end any fight quickly. As a student yourself you are also in the same boat as me, though with different understandings of the arts. It falls upon us to prevent slaughter. It is our place to protect those around us.

For instance. I would kill to protect my family, my lovely lady friend, and her family. But even so, how much damage would it do to the mind of anyone to see someone killed right in front of them? You have to adapt to the situation at hand. Killing is but one way of ending it. Bushido is not just about killing. Bushido is so much more than that.
Killing should always be the very last resort. Life is sacred and belongs to all. To hurt another is to hurt yourself.

I apologize for the length. I hope this helped to bring clarity to the conversation.
Attachments:

More
9 years 7 months ago #159398 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Best martial art?
Learn how to fix em before learning how to break em, then you can always fall back on the fix'n as default and avoid break'n, or at least break with mindfulness.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #159404 by
I agree with your words. Jedi peacekeepers and their first case, to instruct on the path of truth.

Adder wrote: Learn how to fix em before learning how to break em, then you can always fall back on the fix'n as default and avoid break'n, or at least break with mindfulness.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #192686 by
I practiced Kenpo and Karate for several years before I came to the realization that many of the techniques I learned simply were quite superfluous after I got my ass handed to me in a series of fights I did not start. I'll say this much, those fights changed my outlook on the martial arts. Yes, it really does depend on what you are looking for. Are you looking for mind/body meditation, fitness, or streetwise effectiveness? I happened to want to actually hold my own in a fight, so I switched to taking classes of Muay Thai, BJJ, Wrestling, and Boxing, as well as a few classes of Jeet Kune Do and Krav Maga. Then, I found HEMA. After looking into historical swordsmanship as a side-interest, and after studying Medieval combat for awhile I fell in love with it. It combines my love for history with the brutality of actual no-holds-barred fighting. I still do Muay Thai for striking and BJJ for groundfighting and incorporate elements of those into my HEMA training. So, I guess I can say that what I was "looking for" evolved. I might say this to any practitioner of a martial art, however: if you haven't been bloodied and bruised, the 'martial' element is somewhat lacking :P
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by .

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #192931 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Best martial art?

Aqua wrote: Dim Mak, pressure point fighting style, if there is one fight style that is strong, one finger to put a man down ..

this is clearly fake

im sure most here are aware of that
but to anyone who is uncertain and interested, simply go to youtube and search "knockouts" and see what it really looks like

watch a few videos of the real thing

then come back and watch this again, and see if you dont spot some of the differences for yourself

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
8 years 10 months ago #192968 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Best martial art?
Life itself is a martial art ...

The World is the tatami, the arena ...

;)

One could say it is the best one -- as it encompasses all the others.

And --

-- it can be quite graceful. :)

(and, sometimes - often really - pretty brutal) :pinch:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #192977 by

Calanon wrote:

Aqua wrote:

Calanon wrote:

Aqua wrote:

Just wondering ;)

However..

-Calanon

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I see why you think that way, but all I have to say in reply is to give you the words of the great Master.

Attachment h6ec76b6.jpeg not found

That said, I do understand where you come from, but all the great masters disagree with you. Master Yip of Wing chun. Master Bruce Lee of water.. and so many others..

To take your enemy down in a fight as quickly as possible does not mean to kill. It is a mercy to end any fight quickly. As a student yourself you are also in the same boat as me, though with different understandings of the arts. It falls upon us to prevent slaughter. It is our place to protect those around us.

For instance. I would kill to protect my family, my lovely lady friend, and her family. But even so, how much damage would it do to the mind of anyone to see someone killed right in front of them? You have to adapt to the situation at hand. Killing is but one way of ending it. Bushido is not just about killing. Bushido is so much more than that.
Killing should always be the very last resort. Life is sacred and belongs to all. To hurt another is to hurt yourself.

I apologize for the length. I hope this helped to bring clarity to the conversation.

I agree with you that it could be used that way. But protecting by cutting of limbs and protrude out the eyes. The art of the warrior knows multiple ways, Kung fu, Aikido, Tai chi.. even other styles are known for their calm and noble goals.

But in the end they all use violence. No matter the purpose and goals in their style. Why using violence? Why learning violence? Is it worth to bring harm so you can have your love and peace? I shall not say that it is selfishness, nor shall i say that you should not do it.

Marterial arts as the art of love and peace... Combine violence with emotions will bring misunderstanding of your own emotions and actions. May the force be with you.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by .

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #192984 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Best martial art?
It depends on what you're looking for.
Parkour is the best martial art, because you should always run away from a fight whenever you can!
Judo is the best martial art because you can toss them and then run away!
Tai Chi is the best martial art because if someone attacks you, you can easily offset their balance!
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the best martial art because choking your opponent out is generally safer than punching them out!
Boxing is the best martial art because it has the best punches!
Etc.

If you want to become a fighting machine, just study all of them.
But for the fitness you're looking for, Chinese Wushu is more of a performance art martial art and will keep you fit and agile.

@Aqua:
You seem to think of violence as a negative thing. I can tell you that sparring matches have been some of the best fun I've had, and that is a violent act. I think that when it comes to violence, intention is important to understand and is a major part of the moral evaluation of the violent act.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by TheDude. Reason: Another point.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi