Best martial art?

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 11 months ago #145026 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Best martial art?
The more arts you study, the more options you have...

I'm skilled in several grappling styles, several striking/kicking styles, several weapons styles, and a few styles that would be considered "excessively violent"....for those nasty situations...what ever it takes to come out on top...I prefer the immobilizing techniques, but can/will use harsher techniques if I feel it necessary...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #145104 by
Replied by on topic Best martial art?

Zeph wrote:

Khaos wrote:

Zeph wrote: It may sound a bit arrogant, but I believe that every Jedi should know at least basics about swordsmanship.

Its not arrogant to say or think that, however an explanation as to how you have come to that conclusion would be great. Many Jedi say this, and I am not sure as to the motivation.

In the Sith path, martial arts is not a requirement, or even a suggestion.

I myself am a bit obsessive about martial arts, but that is my passion, other Sith have interests that lay well outside that, and it is more encouraged that one realize there passions wherever they are as opposed to to preset criteria, especially of the martial variety.

Now, within ones passion, they should seek not only to pursue it, but pursue it with the focus deserving of the title of ones passion.

So I am interested as to why Jedi should know swordsmanship on any real level, especially if its not even an interest.

Hello! :)

I mentioned swordsmanship because many so-called "Jedi" are simply obsessed with lightsabers, and that "curiosity" could be the gateway to a great tool for personal growth (martial arts, fencing).

Am not familiar with the Sith doctrine, so I will not speculate anything about Sith;

From my point of view (about the Jedi) harmony and balance with the Force are the main objectives (it is explicit The 21 Maxims).

Martial arts, alongside practices like yoga or gymnastics, are the most effective way (as far as I know) to obtain harmony with your own body.

If there is no corporal conscience and harmony with our own body, and perception about the functioning of our mind (analytical meditation; various meditative process) there is no practical application for the Jedi teaching or any other kind of “spiritual” teaching, and you will never understand anything about the Force beyond what you come to read or listening based on other people's experiences.

Can be harmony with the Force when you can not even achieve harmony with your own body/mind?

Ok, harmony with the body is fine, for which you have mentioned a myriad of methods.

However, you did more than mention swordsmanship, you said all Jedi should know the basics.

This is different from saying that they should achieve a body/mind harmony.

I would agree that physical exercise has the benefits of harmony, which I would translate to the simple health benefits to the mind and body from exercise that has been biologically proven, rather than vague notions of "harmony" and the Force.

Either way, I get where you were going with it now.

More
9 years 11 months ago #145138 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Best martial art?

Khaos wrote: However, you did more than mention swordsmanship, you said all Jedi should know the basics.

This is different from saying that they should achieve a body/mind harmony.

I'm not Zeph, but I've always seen mastery of swordsmanship as a mastery over violent tendencies. The sword is a unique weapon (if you're classifying them broadly) because it's one of the only weapons designed solely to kill other human beings. You can hunt with spears and guns and bows, and chop logs with axes, but swords were intentionally designed to end human life. This makes them symbolic of violence to many people, myself included.

In mastering the sword, one learns to master the impulses that lead to violence. One begins to learn when to apply violent force and when to sheathe their anger. One starts to understand the nature of the blade better, and we learn to control the violence in our hands as we learn to control the violence in our hearts. We control the sword, and it no longer controls us. That's why I preach swordsmanship. Just as archery stills the mind and forces one to focus on awareness of the present moment, swordsmanship forces us to acknowledge the violence within ourselves and learn to master it instead of being a slave to reaction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Locksley, rugadd, Alexandre Orion

More
9 years 11 months ago #145150 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Best martial art?
Now that was very well said ... ;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #146358 by

Frost wrote: I did karate for a year, about three years ago and I am therefore well aware that the instructor plays a huge role so suggesting a specific club could be the best way forward but any info is appreciated.

Anyway, I've decided I want to reach and then maintain a high level of fitness so I joined my local gym (finally making use of my student discount), I only managed to go for a week though before I sprained my ankle last weekend down at a local park. So whilst I'm bored waiting for the swelling to go down I'm just planning what I'll do when I get back and I am interested in starting a martial art again. Basically I'm looking for something that is focused on dexterity, endurance and mental strength. If it's any help I live in the South West of England.

Anyway I think this is my first proper post so, yeah, hello everybody :) and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

My suggestion, based on looking for focus on dexterity, endurance, and mental strength, would be to look for a Taekwondo and Hapkido school. I have trained in such a program myself for two years now. My martial arts technique, dexterity, endurance, and mental strength have grown exponentially(far more so than any other program I have trained in across ten years) since joining the dojang. I am now able to perform head-height round house kicks, 360 degree kicks, and other techniques that two years ago I never thought I would be able to perform, especially as a 6 foot tall, 260 pound man. Look for a gym whose instructors are recognized by the Kukkiwon World Taekwondo Headquarters for some of the best and most intense instruction for developing the qualities you seek.

I also suggest studying yoga. A little over a year ago, I suffered a minor back injury while training(the doctor said it was comparable to being hit by a car). Diligent yoga practice has, at this point, relieved me of the daily back pain I had been experiencing. Yoga could help you speed up your recovery time to return to martial arts training(or any other physical pursuit that interest you).

More
9 years 10 months ago #146363 by 666
Replied by 666 on topic Best martial art?
there is no "best MA"
it's a matter of you and your body structure (i.e. if you have short legs doesn't make sense to learn tae kwon do)
in my opinion, if I like to fit a MA in Jediism, must be Aikido, it is based in your own space, no attack, and fits everyone.
if you are looking to real fight, Brazilian jiu jitsu is a big option, due most of real fights end on the ground.

but any MA is good if you do it right.

mine was a a long Journey (starting in Karate couple of years) move to Kung fu (more than 30 years) then learning from others, like couple of years of ninjitsu, jet kune do, and others (kendo, tae kwon do, BJJ)

then you find your own style.

it is more important what fits on you, what are you looking for in a MA.

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #146400 by
Try kook sul won. I'm not saying it's the best, but you might enjoy it. They grade you on your own personal ability taking into account if you can't (for what ever reason) do some of the kicks etc required. Their initial training is open and closed hand until you reach yellow? belt, after which you are trained with a short stick. Once you attain a black belt or higher there is the choice of any or all of the Korean court weapons if weapons are your thing. Also once you attain a certain rank they will teach you healing (acupuncture/pressure and other assorted healing techniques).
Don't feel compelled to do it on my say so. I would suggest sitting in on as many sessions of different martial art as you can till you find one that fits your style.

Be ever mindful of the words of Bruce Lee:

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless.
Water can flow and it can crash.
Running water will never go stale.
Be water my friend!

May The Force Be With You
In all of your endeavours.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by . Reason: Spelling

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #155176 by

Kohadre wrote: From my experience, there is no one single application of martial arts which is so far elevated above other forms as to be called "The best". Each form has it's own unique advantages and disadvantages, which is why so many professional fighters know multiple forms of martial arts.

I have been studying various martial arts for about 20 years now I that is a very correct statement. Even Bruce Lee, correction, especially Bruce Lee, advocated learning many different styles and taking from each what was good and leaving behind what was bad. I've come to see all things in life that way, which is one of the reasons I enjoy Jediism. It seemed to do the same thing.

Kohadre wrote: One particularly useful yet overlooked martial art however is parkour, which is essentially the art of running away as quickly, and efficiently from a hostile situation.

I'd never thought of Parkour that way before. I like that thought.

More
9 years 7 months ago #155246 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic Best martial art?
At the risk of sounding flippant, I figure the best martial art is the one you are practicing while the other guy is napping.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #155307 by
Personally, IMHO I think that it is how proficient you are at a martial art. For instance from a programmers point of view, people ask me, "James, What is the best programming language?". My default reply is usually, "I don't have one, they are all good". My meaning in this is, "Every programming language is the best, it depends what situation it is and how proficient you are within that language".

So, maybe your wondering, "How does this relate to the current context?". Well, basically, What kind of fighting style do you want, Would you like to replicate animals, such as tiger pose etc. Then Kung Fu is probably the best. Maybe you would like sword fighting then possibly fencing or kendo(Japanese Katana style fighting). Or would you like something that doesn't really "Fight", and you would just like to build physical endurance and stamina then possibly Yoga or Tai-Chi is good.

It's like saying Karate is better than Kendo. Well, no, it is not, they are entirely different styles of fighting. So overall, it depends on how you would like to build yourself and what would be best suited to your style. One of my own favourite quotes is, "Skills find you, you never find them". Meaning, they are with you since birth.

So overall, it's based on your own fighting style. This is just my opinion.

I love martial arts :D

-James

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi