Best martial art?

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #285463 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Best martial art?

Aqua wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

As someone not all that familiar with archery, i really enjoyed that video when i saw it. A certain member who i am guessing is bein tactful here brought to my attention awhile back that many in the archery community were quite put off by the claims lars anderson made and the way he marketed himself. Im not actually taking sides but i thought it worth mentioning because, well gossip i guess, or informed consent or something lol.
I'll leave it at that and you can learn more if youre interested. Fun video though, thanks!

Drunken kung fu in real fights!

Warning: Spoiler!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #285467 by
Replied by on topic Best martial art?
I've trained in Xin-Tao Karate for just over 2 years and earned my 1st degree black belt; then I effectively started over training in Olympic Tae Kwon Do for 3 years until I earned my 1st degree black belt in that art as well. I've also trained in Shotokan Karate, Filipino Escrima, Jeet Kune Do, Wing Chun, Bo Staff, Tai Chi, Juijitsu, and Krav Maga.

I teach a blended art of my own creation based on most of the above styles but mainly Karate, Escrima, and jui-jitsu.

I believe that if you're looking for real world self defense- other then my school- Krav Maga or Kajukenbo is a good place to start; if you're wanting more social aspects such as tournaments or you like Tradition then arts like Shotokan Karate, or Olympic Tae Kwon Do would be good fits.

In every art you'll learn skills that can be applied in real life combat, even if you have to sort of read between the lines as it were.

I'd stay away from schools like ATA or other schools that ask for hundreds of dollars upfront, charge more then $120/month for training, or have something like 20 belts that each have a $50 fee; there's good schools in these organizations and some solid skills but- at least for the schools where I am- i get the impression they are in it for the up-charge and such with a view of student numbers as money and not as individuals.

Find a style you like; research it; ask questions and weigh pros/cons and as long as you're learning something that you value you should be fine.

I have had 5 different instructors over the years; they all taught me some things of value; they all had stuff that I probably won't teach to my students but see the value of those drills from within that style. If you find a valued instructor who builds you up, keeps you humble, and doesn't treat you like an ATM; you should be fine. And (Shameless plug) if you find yourself in the Portland Oregon area; I still teach classes every week.

Where you put your effort is where you'll get your results. Train hard, ask questions, stay humble.
Hopefully that helps,
-Blackbeltmitpen
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #285471 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: As someone not all that familiar with archery, i really enjoyed that video when i saw it. A certain member who i am guessing is bein tactful here brought to my attention awhile back that many in the archery community were quite put off by the claims lars anderson made and the way he marketed himself. Im not actually taking sides but i thought it worth mentioning because, well gossip i guess, or informed consent or something lol.
I'll leave it at that and you can learn more if youre interested. Fun video though, thanks!

You are welcome Obi, :blush: A weapon master must master himself, and I am not sure how angry people are about Lars Anderson, but besides his ways of self centered marketing he is a wonderful archer. :laugh: Here is another weapon that is more effective if looked beyond first sight... :blink:

Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by .

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286576 by OB1Shinobi
Cora Sek, 13 yrs old. VS Grace Cleveland, 23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS-w4E5UQQE

Chinese Kung Fu Tournament 1954 (Full Contact)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqn09yaGpOc

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #294701 by
My opinion,the best martial art is one that resonates with you. It is more tham just the training, but that is important too. It is the one that makes you want to keep coming back. It is dynamic and interesting to you. It may be more than one. I love aikido and tai chi, mainly soft and more internal martial arts, but I also like boxing and kickboxing. All very different, yet each feeds a part of me. Also the teachers and people matter. Atmosphere is very important. I desire not one wit of superiority or humiliation. As an aikido and self defense instructor, I also don't use any method that smacks of these either. One can be kind, encouraging, and still effective.

So explore different schools and classes. You'll know what your fit is.

All the best in your search

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #297539 by OB1Shinobi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATabB8Wunjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLXLTQPJdOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6i8mTJ5DI8

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #297646 by
Im always going to say Boxing as its my passion
But all forms are legitimate and beautiful to watch

More
6 years 6 months ago #302605 by OB1Shinobi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL7xEDVfl8M

People are complicated.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #302608 by OB1Shinobi
The young man who posted this video is imo a very impressive martial artist. Not because of his martial effectiveness, but because of his honesty and because his great big gigantic gonads aka he showed a lot of courage to take the route that he is taking

And for the truly interested: "Is Aikido a MARTIAL Art?" discussion involving multiple accomplished aikidoka with varying perspectives.

Last one: A legit example of someone using some aikido wrist lock tech effectively

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #304050 by OB1Shinobi
Judo girl kicks ass aka how a female can beat a male

Bruce Lee vs Mike Tyson on heavy bag

Magic "Chi" powers in real life

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi