Best martial art?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #155335 by
Replied by on topic Best martial art?

RyuJin wrote: As Bruce Lee said " no one style has all the answers, you must seek out many styles, get many answers. Take what works for you and discard what doesn't."

I like this statement. I based my Martial arts training on it.

Just make sure you are doing something that you will "actually" do. that is the most important thing.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #159095 by
As is stated countless times above, it is best to have a well rounded knowledge of several styles and arts, this helps to develop your own personal style. Everyone is different, builds, attitudes, wants, needs, ability, personal reactions to situations etc.

I have studied Shotokan Karate, Tai Chi Chuan, Jeet Kune Do, MMA and am now doing Bujinkan Ninjutsu.
For me I am very fond of the Ninjutsu as it does encompass a huge variety, you have stand up striking, stand up grappling, ground grappling, pressure points, a huge variety of conventional and unconventional weapons and an overwhelming natural and spiritual side. It is for me the most free form of martial arts that I have found thus far.

As far as endurance goes Ninjutsu is not the way to go, there are no hard drills or cardiovascular exercises (although focus on breathing and internal body energy is very important). For this the above suggestions of Yoga, Pilates, Muay Thai and Parkour are all great ideas.

For mental focus or growth, most martial arts focus on discipline and mental strength so I don't really think it matters which style you choose as long as you take it seriously.

Really what it comes down to is why you want to do a martial art? What you want to achieve by doing a martial art? and also unfortunately what is available to you in your area.

I hope that my opinions may have helped in some small way.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #159100 by
I would say that the best way of material art is to take over an attack and mirror your opponent. :woohoo: But I do not know if it exist, some kind of mirror fighting style :blink:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #159107 by
I know Taekwondo and Hapkido fighting knife shoot a sniper rifle

Aqua wrote: I would say that the best way of material art is to take over an attack and mirror your opponent. :woohoo: But I do not know if it exist, some kind of mirror fighting style :blink:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #159111 by

McMiklosh wrote: I know Taekwondo and Hapkido fighting knife shoot a sniper rifle

Aqua wrote: I would say that the best way of material art is to take over an attack and mirror your opponent. :woohoo: But I do not know if it exist, some kind of mirror fighting style :blink:

Taekwondo uses formally kicks, might be strong with the legs but is not balanced in way of multiple ways of fighting.

Dim Mak, pressure point fighting style, if there is one fight style that is strong, one finger to put a man down ..

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #159112 by
I agree, and so I joined the Taekwondo style with tiger and the dragon and snake. Will produce a nuclear mix))) :laugh:

Aqua wrote:

McMiklosh wrote: I know Taekwondo and Hapkido fighting knife shoot a sniper rifle

Taekwondo uses formally kicks, might be strong with the legs but is not balanced in way of multiple ways of fighting.

Dim Mak, pressure point fighting style, if there is one fight style that is strong, one finger to put a man down ..

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #159122 by
The best martial art is the one that wins. This can vary from person to person, opponent to opponent. You wouldn't go toe to toe with mike Tyson, would you? No, but his ground game is probably lacking. Of course my personal preference is something long range, say out to 500 yards or so, and arriving at muzzle velocity.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 7 months ago #159192 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Best martial art?
Speaking of long range muzzle velocity have you seen the new developments in making the ar platform long range capable...pretty cool...

Martial means military, so martial arts means military arts...it stands to reason that for them to be effective in any situation you must then strive to understand and utilize a wide array of military arts....strategy, hand to hand, grappling, melee weapons ranged weapons, etc...a soldier/warrior must be like a multi tool, multi tools have a variety of tools to answer a variety of tasks...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #159230 by

RyuJin wrote: Speaking of long range muzzle velocity have you seen the new developments in making the ar platform long range capable...pretty cool...

Martial means military, so martial arts means military arts...it stands to reason that for them to be effective in any situation you must then strive to understand and utilize a wide array of military arts....strategy, hand to hand, grappling, melee weapons ranged weapons, etc...a soldier/warrior must be like a multi tool, multi tools have a variety of tools to answer a variety of tasks...

Are you sure? I have no doubt in your warrior understanding, You have more understanding about the warrior than I have in this live, but like a multi tool?

A tool with one purpose is very good in a specific line work and will work a lifetime. A tool with multiple purposes does a nice job over multiple lines of work, but when preforming one specific line of work it will not last long..

My question is: If a soldier or warrior is a like a multi tool.. How can it preform multi tasks as well as single tasks? Or do I have to make a split up between two types of warriors/ soldiers.

Just wondering ;)
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #159260 by

Aqua wrote:

RyuJin wrote: Speaking of long range muzzle velocity have you seen the new developments in making the ar platform long range capable...pretty cool...

Are you sure? I have no doubt in your warrior understanding, You have more understanding about the warrior than I have in this live, but like a multi tool?

A tool with one purpose is very good in a specific line work and will work a lifetime. A tool with multiple purposes does a nice job over multiple lines of work, but when preforming one specific line of work it will not last long..

My question is: If a soldier or warrior is a like a multi tool.. How can it preform multi tasks as well as single tasks? Or do I have to make a split up between two types of warriors/ soldiers.

Just wondering ;)

The difference between a human and a tool is all the difference in the world.
However..
It depends on the quality of the tool itself. My dad has his military issue multitool still.. 24 or so years after getting it.. it works just fine and shows no sign breaking down. On a multitool you have multiple tools. Each one designed for a specific task, or line of work. It is using these in ways they shouldn't be used that causes issues and faults.

A warrior should also be able to perform multiple function based upon the situation. Sometimes the situation requires to kill. Others it just requires to be restrained. Sometimes they just have to beat someone to a bloody pulp.

As a student of martial arts, I'm going to put forth that you're both right at the same time as being wrong.

The way of the warrior, the art of peace, is not for killing or causing harm. It can be used in that manner, but first and foremost, it is the art of the defense of others. Sometimes defending another will be violent, and the warrior must always be prepared for that possibility. But a well thought answer usually makes any aggressor think twice. It is this function that warriors are meant to serve. To keep the peace, violently if needful.

The difference between a multitool and a soldier is that the tool is just that. An inanimate object in the hands of another. A warrior is like a tool because they exist in the will of their purpose.

Hopefully that answers your questions.

-Calanon

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi