RANKING: Jedi Vs. Clergy

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2723 by
Replied by on topic Re:RANKING: Jedi Vs. Clergy
Dhagon Krayt wrote:

Look, if this is what everyone wants, fine, I was just expressing my concerns and beliefs. However, I will not be calling anyone Bishop, Monsigner (sp), Rabbi or anything else for that matter. The whole purpose originally though of for using these ranks was for teaching purposes, and it already has seemed to go beyond that. In my eyes we are all on equal ground, regardless of how much time we put into this place. Not all of us have the same amount of time to put into it, if I could put in more I would, but I would not expect any extra recognition for it.

Chapter 7 of the Tao Te Ching (First book of Jediism) tells us:
Heaven and Earth last forever.
WHy do heaven and Earth last forever?
They are unborn,
So ever living.
The sage stays behind, thus he is ahead.
He is detached, thus at one with all.
Through selfless action, he attains fulfillment.

Meaning by not seeking recognition for action, doing it selflessly you become more fulfilled.

In addition, Chapter 19 says:
Give up sainthood, renounce wisdom,
And it will be a hundred times better for everyone.
Give up kindness, renounce morality,
And men will rediscover filial piety and love.
Give up ingenuity, renounce profit,
And badits and thieves will disappear.
These three are outward forms alone; they are not sufficient in themnselves.
It is more important
To see the simplicity,
To realize one's true nature,
To cast off selfishness
And temper desire.

Meaning by casting away things that make us seem better than others in one way or another, people will stop looking to you to make their lives better, and focus on making thier lives better on their own.

Yes, I am in the military, and yes we use ranks, but they are not so much for a measure of knowledge or experience, but more for authority reasons than anything else. Yes I hold rank an put lots of time into defending our country, but I do not expect anyone here to call me Sargeant, nor do I expect special recognition. When I speak about my military experience, it is to express things that have happened that I learned from, to hopefully help others learn from as well, or to tell a funny story.

DK

My dear friend, When it comes to the use of titles when addressing other's I use the following creedo and I think it will work for you as well: Call me what you would want to be called were you me.

I don't think you can really go wrong in it's use

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2725 by
Are you sure, caue being in the Military, has given me a pennant for making up names to either correlate with last names, or something stupid someone has done, to remind them of it forever. Like since you have White in your name, I'd probably call you whitey, not out of anything racial, its just short and catchy. Somehow I haven't got any nicknames that have stuck though, I must be boring.

DK

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2726 by
That was my Nickname throughout Junior High and High school actually.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2731 by
See how that works.

I did however after looking up Clergy Titles in google, find that Cleric is used throughout pretty much all religions, as any member of the Clergy, so I would have no qualms about that one. For example Ranks or designations whatever you'd like to call them could go as such:

Non Clergy --- Clergy
Master Jedi - Master Jedi Cleric
Sr. Jedi Knight - Sr. Jedi Knight Cleric (or just Sr. Jedi Cleric)
Jedi Knight - Jedi Knight Cleric (or just Jedi Cleric)
Jedi Apprentice - Jedi Cleric Apprentice
Jedi Initiate - Jedi Cleric Initiate (though I don't believe someone should be ordained until they are atleast an apprentice)

It sounds more universal, and takes more from a multitude of religions than a few specific ones, and also sounds more like something that would come from Jediism. Any thoughts?

DK

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2734 by
I think the use of only one title would confuse some. Because each one carries with it different responsibilities that are indeed seperate from those of one's Jedi designation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2735 by
And just to add to that, the current designation system is more easily accepted by those who are non-Jedi. Cleric sounds like something from the middle ages or a really good movie (i.e. Equilibrium). Whereas Minister or Reverend already has a good track record. Does that make sense?

(On a personal Level, Love the name though. Cleric does indeed sound like something from a Jedi Church. Perhaps we can expand upon that?)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2739 by
That's why I used the words Jedi Cleric in the ceremony outlines we have been working on. It just \"fit\".

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2740 by
True, the movie Equilibrium was one of the best action movies in my eyes, I didn't get the name from it. Like I said I googled Clergy titles, and read through it, and saw that Cleric was a universal name for a clergy person. I agree with Br. Justice, it does just seem to fit, and it has a nice ring too it, if I might add. I'm unsure how it would confuse people, there would still be a distict difference in the title of Clergy members and non, but the rankings themselves would still be present, I think it would actually be less confusing that way, than having an entirely different \"ranking\" structure for the clergy. Plus, it helps to keep everyone intertwined by using much of the same terminology, as opposed to setting themselves completely outside of normal Jedi. As you know Br. Tom, I'm not concerned about how much acceptance we get from non-Jedi, especially since they don't take us seriously anyways. So why conform to thier standards and practices, this way, once we finally are accepted, we will be more of a stand alone entity. Besides, most people don't know what \"Imam\" stands for, I admittidly was one of them, till recently, but it is still used in Islam. They didn't care what outsiders thought of thier names and titles, I don't believe we should either.

DK

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2741 by
Dhagon Krayt wrote:

True, the movie Equilibrium was one of the best action movies in my eyes, I didn't get the name from it. Like I said I googled Clergy titles, and read through it, and saw that Cleric was a universal name for a clergy person. I agree with Br. Justice, it does just seem to fit, and it has a nice ring too it, if I might add. I'm unsure how it would confuse people, there would still be a distict difference in the title of Clergy members and non, but the rankings themselves would still be present, I think it would actually be less confusing that way, than having an entirely different \"ranking\" structure for the clergy. Plus, it helps to keep everyone intertwined by using much of the same terminology, as opposed to setting themselves completely outside of normal Jedi. As you know Br. Tom, I'm not concerned about how much acceptance we get from non-Jedi, especially since they don't take us seriously anyways. So why conform to thier standards and practices, this way, once we finally are accepted, we will be more of a stand alone entity. Besides, most people don't know what \"Imam\" stands for, I admittidly was one of them, till recently, but it is still used in Islam. They didn't care what outsiders thought of thier names and titles, I don't believe we should either.

DK

Well, first things first, it would be somewhat confusing because there is then no real distinction between clergy with more and less responsibility as such. and because the Jedi designation does not denote those responsibilites (and can't because they are seperate) it would be difficult to discern who is what regarding clergy.

Second, With regard to how we are viewed by others, I understand your feelings. However, in order to continue this movement and church, we need to consider how to best reach others. and we cannot do that with an \"I don't care what you think\" attitude.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2743 by
You could for the clergy, concerning the use of Cleric, drop the Jedi part.

So for example you would have a Cleric Apprentice instead of a Jedi Apprentice and so on.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi