Jedi up

More
5 years 9 months ago #323117 by Athena_Undomiel
Replied by Athena_Undomiel on topic Jedi up
Being a Jedi is much like the Tao....as soon as you start labeling it, you diminish what it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, thomaswfaulkner

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago #323120 by
Replied by on topic Jedi up

Manu wrote: and learn to deal with those feelings maturely, assuming the best rather than the worst intent in communication.

Exactly.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #323122 by

Athena_Undomiel wrote: Being a Jedi is much like the Tao....as soon as you start labeling it, you diminish what it is.

I had an in depth convo about this before. There is a difference between Taoists and Daoists and Jedi. The difference is that Jedi are defined and are labelled and have been for a long time. And these definitons do not ruin Jedi or Jediism, but refine it. Many that refute those labels want the title without as much work. There is a reason only 10k people in the fiction were Jedi with thousands of inhabited planets of potential Jedi, its not open to everyone nor should it be. To remove those labels, we become Daoists in Jedi robes.

This is not to say that people cannot try to be as such. Fictional characters such as Chirrut display one does not need to be a Jedi to put their teachings and philosophy to use. But no one will say Chirrut is the same as a Jedi.
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by .

More
5 years 9 months ago #323125 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Jedi up
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/121381-what-s-the-difference

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #323130 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Jedi up

This is not to say that people cannot try to be as such. Fictional characters such as Chirrut display one does not need to be a Jedi to put their teachings and philosophy to use. But no one will say Chirrut is the same as a Jedi.

I can't argue with your figures, because I'm not sure I've even been in the same room as an expanded-universe novel, but didn't they decide somewhere along the line that there were plenty of people who believed in and supported Jedi/The force, but were not "force sensitive"? realistically, if we're going down that path, wouldn't we all fall into that C or D grade level of "familiar with Jedi teachings, not a Jedi" (this is just small talk at this point, I'm not that fussed with how my world matches up with the stories)

Now I'm just rambling - if humans a long long time ago are anything like humans now - if the Jedi existed, and Jedi Knights were kicking around the galaxy, you could bet good money there would be Jedi-Like gangs, churches, community clubs, tribute groups, and other such things (not so different to what we are now) who have every good intention of emulating these heroic figures, but little in the way of the ability to detect deaths from a few million miles away.

They may or may not call themselves Jedi (if they're on some backwater planet they might, because who the hell is going to stop them? if they're closer to the intergalactic version of the big smoke, maybe they'd call themselves Jed-aii or the Moon Warriors or Followers of the Force or the Coruscant Civic Champions, who knows)

Might just be Star Wars is real, and we're the hillbillies on a backwater planet, getting stories from spice traders, and dressing up and calling ourselves Jedi.

They're probably laughing at us.
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Athena_Undomiel,

More
5 years 9 months ago #323132 by Carlos.Martinez3
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/121382-what-constitutes-a-jedi

Build, not tear down.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago #323133 by

JamesSand wrote:

I can't argue with your figures, because I'm not sure I've even been in the same room as an expanded-universe novel, but didn't they decide somewhere along the line that there were plenty of people who believed in and supported Jedi/The force, but were not "force sensitive"? realistically, if we're going down that path, wouldn't we all fall into that C or D grade level of "familiar with Jedi teachings, not a Jedi" (this is just small talk at this point, I'm not that fussed with how my world matches up with the stories)

If we want to go into the whole force sensitivity thing, pretty much everyone in the SW universe is to a degree. But only a select few were considered sensitive enough to train, and fewer still powerful enough in that regard to physically affect the world around them. Many would never become apprentices, fewer still would become Knights (akin to what we have here in the TotJO). Many of these would either leave or join other groups to serve in different ways (agriculture corps, exploration corps, knowledge corps, ect). I personally believe Chirrut was as such, but did align himself with a the Guardians of the Whills in order to serve a cause he deemed just, his skills showing he was a bit more than a regular human, his physical limitation probably helping his abilities develop.

There were such things, if I remember correctly, as Jedi acolytes. They served the Jedi and studied their teachings (same thing in the Avatar series with the Air Acolytes), despite not being gifted or young enough to ever receive personalised training.

But, since we are not all as such, we could all be considered Jedi acolytes to a degree, but since such a power (the Force as displayed in the movies) does not exists (or does not exist within the human race's current realm of knowledge), we aspire to be what it is to be a Jedi to the best of our abilities. Hence why things such as knighthood shouldn't be for everyone, and there is no shame in that. But the teachings of the Jedi can help people, the same way the teachings of the Buddhists, the Christian, the Sith, or the Hindu could help someone.

All this to say, to be a Jedi is to live up to something that is defined and refined through such a definition, and because of that refined view, it is not meant for everyone. It is not to say someone who is called to it is better in any way, just they are of a different make and ready for such a calling. Other people do things just as hard, like missionaries, soldiers, or teachers. All things not everyone can do, but many find it within their realm of ability.

More
5 years 9 months ago #323143 by Carlos.Martinez3
Might be off topic but
“All this to say, to be a Jedi is to live up to something that is defined and refined through such a definition, and because of that refined view, it is not meant for everyone.”
With syncretic ability and choice - aren’t we as the individual allowed to define it ?
I totally understand the collective standards and common beliefs but does that make the other person not a Jedi if they don’t see eye to eye with me ? Hence the question - Jedi up - isn’t that some one else’s definition being imposed on some one else ?

Build, not tear down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Athena_Undomiel

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago #323145 by

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Might be off topic but
“All this to say, to be a Jedi is to live up to something that is defined and refined through such a definition, and because of that refined view, it is not meant for everyone.”
With syncretic ability and choice - aren’t we as the individual allowed to define it ?
I totally understand the collective standards and common beliefs but does that make the other person not a Jedi if they don’t see eye to eye with me ? Hence the question - Jedi up - isn’t that some one else’s definition being imposed on some one else ?

One would think it should be up to the individual, but if everyone is allowed to define anything they want to, words and titles devolve into chaos. We have dictionaries to give us agreed upon definitions of words, not a personal idea of what a word means.

So, no, we shouldn't be allowed to redefine something that is already defined. Many people here have tried to redefine it, to change it from what it was and is for the sake of lowering the standard and fitting what they currently are, rather than making it something to continuously strive for.

More
5 years 9 months ago #323158 by Carlos.Martinez3
I’ve had to personally - re define ALOT of my definitions and practices. One of the many freedoms you CAN have is simply that - the ability to re define your definitions (personally) of love hate joy freedom - everything - bio digital jazz man - all for the re writing !
My hope is that we realize as humans - we can have this and so much more .

Build, not tear down.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi