Jedi up

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago #322948 by
Replied by on topic Jedi up

Arisaig wrote:

Nakis wrote: TL;DR: If you have time to say "jedi up" you also have the time to type out ways someone could improve their perception or attitude without the proverbial like/dislike button.

I've always made the assumption that a person should know what it means to them, like when someone says "Grow up/act your age/ext". Its essentially a reminder of what you are and what you could/should be. Solid advice can be given to those that have yet to get there to begin with, but for those that have been there before, it is a call to return to such a place. It becomes a wake up call. ;P

I believe that the intent is as Arisaig stated above, but that it is frequently received as most other posts have described it. I do think it comes down to the relationship between the person saying it and the intended audience as Adder mentioned.

For instance, I always associate this phrase with Cabur (who I believe wrote a sermon bearing that name) and whenever he would say it I took it as a call to arms, a reminder of what I could be. In contrast I know that there are other people who could say it and I would not respond to it well, viewing it as an intended mockery like they're telling me I'm a terrible Jedi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #322955 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Jedi up
Thank you all for your time and effort as well as your understanding. Seems that intention of use is key here for “Jedi up” and how it’s used. Has multiple meanings. I’m still open to more views if there are any more out there .
Thanks again and may the Force we seek and serve and share find us all ... still!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago #322963 by
I have very fond memories of the times Cabur used that phrase , but like with all phrases in all groups and communities it can become an empty phrase only to be used when you think someone is not your kind of Jedi.

More
5 years 9 months ago #322966 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Jedi up
Is 2018 the year I get to read a ridiculous article by someone with as much skill at giving life advice as your average door knob on "toxic toxicity"?

I'm off to buy orange juice and socks, so if you want me to spoon feed you an explanation of exactly how and why I find it an uninterestingly wrong line of thought you'll have to wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #322974 by
I think that people, especially Jedi, are way too sensitive. As is evident by all the heated debates, arguments, and discord in what is presumably supposed to be peaceful and educative. Its been a long while since I have seen Jedi act like actual Jedi...

Harsh words?

*Shrugs* its how I believe.

"Jedi Up" is a very appropriate term and applying special snowflake political sensitivities to it is only doing you all a disservice and further proves how sensitive people are.

"Jedi Up" is and was merely meant as a reminder to act what you preach. To not get dragged down by the forum politics and BE a Jedi. BE the Doctrines you claim to follow. BE the training you claim to commit to. To BE...JEDI.

Everything else is just extra baggage each individual has chosen to apply to it because people don't like being told what to do or how to behave (Even though that's part of Jedi training....improving your best and controlling your worst impulses)

Just my 2cents
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago #322980 by
Jedi up... cowboy up... man up. It's all rather demeaning. As if to say, who you are isn't good enough.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 9 months ago #322982 by

Streen wrote: Jedi up... cowboy up... man up. It's all rather demeaning. As if to say, who you are isn't good enough.

Which begs to question. When said statement was given, were you behaving in your best? Were you shining your brightest when said person told you to Jedi Up? Were you? Or are you just salty that they called you out on your darker dealings and now your forced into a spotlight of owning up to it and improving your methods or covering it up with excuses?

No one is going to be perfect.

There is an old saying "It takes a village to raise a family." - We - We are all "Family" and we all came to be a Jedi to learn and self explore as well as help others learn and self explore. If you can't take a reminder to be what you preach....then why are you here? (Here as in the Jedi Community)

Its all a matter of choice. Choose to find a positive in the instructions life gives us, or choose to be offended all the time.

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #322984 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Jedi up
Man up, Jedi up both simple tools of language that are often misused. And like so many things that get misused or misunderstood people wish to blame the tool and get rid of it or say its bad of itself rather than blame the misuse.

I'll start with man up. If I tell someone to man up it has one of two meaning depending on the situation. In one case I could just as easily be saying hey buck up/focus up you got this. In the other case its stow you stuff for now because work needs to get done. Particularly in the Navy if someone was having a hard time during operations or evolutions they would get told to man up. That does not mean you cannot feel or that you cannot show emotion. It means now is not the time and your distraction could get someone hurt. So get your head in the game and we can address the issues later when we are not going to get hurt or fail an exercise.

When it comes to Jedi up I've rarely ever used it except for myself with my diet. Meaning I tell myself hey muster up your guts and tough it out. A Jedi takes care of mind AND body so suck up the hard part of this and do what you must.
If I were to say it to another person I might as well be telling them hey remember your training I dont think you are acting/thinking clearly right now so maybe we need to chill and look at the basics here. That or it is being used the same as man up above in the first case as an affirmation that hey you are worrying when I know you got this and all you need to do is start moving forward.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by MadHatter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Carlos.Martinez3, , Brick

More
5 years 9 months ago #322985 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Jedi up
So - as a family , if we see , as a family , that as we speak - to the family , if it hurts some - not all - maybe it’s time change the approach?

Hey - I’m jedi ing up - right ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #322986 by Athena_Undomiel
Replied by Athena_Undomiel on topic Jedi up

JamesSand wrote: Is 2018 the year I get to read a ridiculous article by someone with as much skill at giving life advice as your average door knob on "toxic toxicity"?

I'm off to buy orange juice and socks, so if you want me to spoon feed you an explanation of exactly how and why I find it an uninterestingly wrong line of thought you'll have to wait.

I patiently await your valued opinion in bated breath until your magnificent return from your orange juice and socks adventure...
This is the type of negative attitude that is being referenced in this topic perhaps you need to Jedi up and not be so condescending...
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Athena_Undomiel.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi