Jedi up

More
5 years 10 months ago #323025 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Jedi up
To be honest, I hate this phrase. I get the way Cabur uses it and I'm glad it can inspire him, but the source phrase is "Cowboy up", or more acuratly "cowboy the fuck up". It's "suck it up" but in a more heavy way. You traditionally say it to someone who's whining or crying about something. It's a denial of that person's feelings, it's flippant, and dismissive.

HOWEVER, some people do feel like they need that "wedgie" up instead of a hand up. A bit of "tough love". It could also be used after a good conversation. Give someone the support they need, then add that as encouragement. If you've first established that you empethize with them, THEN you can bring on the tough love. Otherwise it's just tough...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #323045 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic Jedi up
The more I read the replies in this thread the less I want to ever be called jedi. The definition has become such a non thing anymore there Is no point in even using it. It's like trying to argue that something is the color blue. Because to each individual blue could be completely different, yet unlike the color blue we can't seem to come to any resemblance of an agreement of what jedi is, where as to all but the color blind, blue is still blue.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Tellahane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #323046 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Jedi up

Tellahane wrote: The more I read the replies in this thread the less I want to ever be called jedi. The definition has become such a non thing anymore there Is no point in even using it. It's like trying to argue that something is the color blue. Because to each individual blue could be completely different, yet unlike the color blue we can't seem to come to any resemblance of an agreement of what jedi is, where as to all but the color blind, blue is still blue.

I have felt this way many time. My solution? I decided for myself what a Jedi is and i use my real life to train as one. I dont let myself care that others disapprove of me and though i argue against ideas that i think are bad, i have accepted that others are going to have their own definitions and im ok with that.

As for us all seeing the same color or not...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evQsOFQju08

If you prefer written articles

https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/do-you-see-what-i-see

People are complicated.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #323053 by
Replied by on topic Jedi up
We have this saying Thunder UP! which refers to OKC Thunder when we use the term"Thunder UP" it mean Lets Go , let be ready to play hard , battle, win. Same as i see Jedi Up mean go out there and be just that . Take what you think what that may be and use it in a way you would if you were getting ready to play a game . Alot of teams do it and its understood in their mind that it means lets do this, we can do this its time to kick ass type of attitude. So Jedi UP!

https://assets.sbnation.com/assets/231647/thunder-up.JPG?_ga=2.252349646.672933604.1529075761-562401146.1529075761
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #323057 by

Ke JinnDakken wrote: We have this saying Thunder UP! which refers to OKC Thunder when we use the term"Thunder UP" it mean Lets Go , let be ready to play hard , battle, win. Same as i see Jedi Up mean go out there and be just that . Take what you think what that may be and use it in a way you would if you were getting ready to play a game . Alot of teams do it and its understood in their mind that it means lets do this, we can do this its time to kick ass type of attitude. So Jedi UP!

https://assets.sbnation.com/assets/231647/thunder-up.JPG?_ga=2.252349646.672933604.1529075761-562401146.1529075761

Kind of an "Avengers Assemble!" Or "Autobots rollout!" Sort of thing. I like it. B)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #323060 by
yup u got it!! Thanks man :)

More
5 years 10 months ago #323063 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Jedi up
oh I forgot to add, the phrase I use instead is "I am a Jedi", that gets my blood going

More
5 years 10 months ago #323088 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Jedi up
We can probably just disband Jedi entirely and have Larry the Cable Guy run the place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TU-li1BqZ4
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
5 years 10 months ago #323090 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Jedi up
Okay I'm being difficult and grumpy, but I believe that the threat of denial of identity and being part of a group you like being a part of is a fairly useful motivator, and it has been for years, and probably still will be.

In fact, as far as I can tell, children who don't experience this feeling at least once in a while turn out to be arseholes.

When children, pets, (and as it turns out, adults) act up or behave uncooperatively (in children it is drawing on the walls, in pets it is peeing on the floor, and in adults it tends to either be wallowing in self pity or having fantastic flights of ego) the best action can simply be to Ignore them. Pets and children are quick to detect when they are on the "out" of someone's acceptance. Adults you sometimes have to frame the "ignore" a bit more dramatically (because adults are stupid) with "you are being ignored, and now you're not invited to the wedding" or "you are being ignored, and now we are offering the promotion to someone else" or "you are being ignored, and we are taking our business elsewhere"

Take Motorcycle clubs for example, if you don't attend the club meets, you don't participate in fundraising bake sales, and you don't portray a good public image for responsible road use, you get "ignored" (they don't invite you to renew your membership, and you lose your discount at local retailers and servicing workshops)

It's a roundabout way of saying "biker up"

Now that's the GOOD, when the chide is used for positive effect,

the BAD is when self appointed grand poobahs and everything police use it to say anyone and everything that they don't like is failing to meet a standard they (apparently) believe in.

YOU'RE not being a REAL cabinet maker!

Do we have some of those here? Absolutely!

Do they know who they are? Maybe, Maybe not.

Some are probably straight up jerks, some are probably in a mindset where they think they are doing the best thing.

I know I've been guilty of it myself, either in this forum, or in other realms of life. Sometimes I am probably right, because occasionally I am actually the expert on a subject, and sometimes I am probably being an arrogant ego driven twat.

The answer, theoretically, is divining when someone is "pushing" you to do "better" and when they're a jerk.

Doing that, when you're already in a "low" position is all the harder.

Which is generally why cult leaders, financial advisors, US military recruiters, and other assorted scum prey on the lost, isolated, and confused, because they'll take a "leg up" from any fraudster who can pretend to offer one.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #323093 by

Ke JinnDakken wrote: We have this saying Thunder UP! which refers to OKC Thunder when we use the term"Thunder UP" it mean Lets Go , let be ready to play hard , battle, win. Same as i see Jedi Up mean go out there and be just that . Take what you think what that may be and use it in a way you would if you were getting ready to play a game . Alot of teams do it and its understood in their mind that it means lets do this, we can do this its time to kick ass type of attitude. So Jedi UP!

Can we all agree this should be the official definition?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi