Sith Discussion

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #268667 by
Replied by on topic Sith Discussion

Khaos wrote:

I am somewhere between Jedi and Sith or between Jedi and something else entirely.

This is a tired model to me, putting Sith and Jedi on too extreme ends of some spectrum.

Then anything in the middle being a lighter, or darker shade of Grey.

I think I asked you not to be boring.

Jedi, are not the opposite of Sith, nor are we on the same path, looking for the same answers, or any other tired model.

Nor is it based in a morality spectrum.

I don't see Sith as on the same path, though there are similarities. I can see that the issues are not with morality, because I'm making the distinction that none I have encountered are bad people. However meandering this discussion appears, I'm still seeing what I need to see. You and Zenchi have been quite demonstrative.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #268674 by

6h057 wrote:

Trisskar wrote: If you are not seeking things for free. Then you should be able to find understanding by going out there and doing your own research.

Thats a very common trend with just about any branch of Sith. Unlike Jedi they wont go through the trouble of giving you a simple understanding of x, y & z....they expect you to find it yourself.

So.....Understanding wont be found here.

Finding the information is rather easy though. Ya just gotta think Sith ;)

This is a kind of research. It's first hand account. One of the most relied upon in our society.

It is only Reliable if it works :-p Hows that working for you thus far?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #268679 by

Trisskar wrote:

6h057 wrote:

Trisskar wrote: If you are not seeking things for free. Then you should be able to find understanding by going out there and doing your own research.

Thats a very common trend with just about any branch of Sith. Unlike Jedi they wont go through the trouble of giving you a simple understanding of x, y & z....they expect you to find it yourself.

So.....Understanding wont be found here.

Finding the information is rather easy though. Ya just gotta think Sith ;)

This is a kind of research. It's first hand account. One of the most relied upon in our society.

It is only Reliable if it works :-p Hows that working for you thus far?

Quite well actually. What I am seeking can't be written in a book.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #268685 by

Wescli Wardest wrote: I have a question Khaos.

An honest question. Not trying to “set you up" or expose something or trap or whatever. And I hope it’s not boring or cliché.

Many of the Sith I know are completely agreeable people. I have no issue with them and other than views on particular topics, we tend to get along just fine.

My question is, excluding fiction, what is/are the major differences between the Sith and the Jedi in your view? And the reason I ask is that there are Jedi whom range the spectrum of what people might believe to be a Jedi from grey to light to pure or realist… But Sith tend to just say, Sith.

Focus.

That is to say, a Jedi makes being one the goal. Whether or not one can define what a Jedi is, at least in a group setting, it seems a lot is put into the effort of being one.

The Sith, use being Sith, the methodology, the code, culture, etc, to achieve their goals, there Passion.

This is not to say Jedi do not have other personal interests, but just take the codes.

One is a method to living correctly, the other is a method of progression to ones goals.

At least so far as I have seen the Jedi code broken down. As well as other works quotes like the Tao, etc.

The Sith code is a marked progression to ones goals.

Passion= I want.

Strength= Gotta build, buy, cultivate, etc, the necessary skills, attributes, resources, to get what I want.

Power= Applying those cultivated strengths in my sphere of influence toward getting what I want.

Victory= Achievement. Getting what I want.

By working through each one, you gain the access to the next stage.

The Jedi code, any of them, does not read the same way, and as I have said, seen it broken down as such.

Of course, here, it seems no one does care about being a Jedi either, which is another difference.

Most Sith, even if that is not the focus, the goal in and of itself, but a path to achieving ones goals, are proud to be Sith. Mostly because of the work involved. I broke down the code very simply, but applied, that is years of work.

Take the obsession with identity as well.

Am I a Grey? Am I a Realist? Etc,etc.

All sort of cerebral.

Actions define you. A Sith, using the code a methodology of progression towards ones passions is walking the Sith path. Actions made on that path will define the depth and breadth of your character to you.

As such.

Not hard to know who you are, or what kind of person you are, when you are making real time choices, and actions and receiving the feedback of those choices and actions.

Of course, this is from a state of a fair amount of ignorance to the Jedi path.

I do know we do not have an written assignments like the IP, or anything though. That, to me, seems like a grand waste of time.

I have never wanted to be a Jedi, or "merge paths" or the like, so any judgements are from a place of observation only.

You did ask though.

I dont feel as if I am missing out, or only getting "one side of the coin" ,etc.

In 17 years, I have yet to see a bottom to this path, or an end.

Just this one path.

I do not think, given that I imagine the Jedi path is similar in that it takes a lifetime, that I should be trying to do two at once.

Chase two rabbits and you wont even catch one.

Or tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly.

I would be putting too much time into trying to do the above, that I probably wouldnt actually get anything done in either path, and waste a lot of life time doing so.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by .

More
7 years 3 months ago #268687 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Sith Discussion
That sounds like a pretty reasonable explanation that makes a good deal of sense. Thank you.

So in part it feels as if the different focuses of the two could be describe as one works on tools that assist focus on the internal exploration for the sake of the Journey; and, the other develops the tools to aid in the journey where end results are more of the goal?

If I am drawing an accurate conclusion from your explanation. I’m sure it is far more in depth and extensive than that. I am just attempting to sum up in a simplified, roundabout way.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #268688 by
Khaos, that was really informative and informs a lot of what I have unraveled in my scratching at the surface. But there is a method to my madness so to speak. And to inform of what I'm seeking before it is found literally ends the learning process.

Here is where I will end my learning at least at this stage.

I stir the pot and observe behavior. Like you said. Action is more important than what is said, or even read. There is an attitude and a "Focus" that you are speaking of that I have observed and even greatly identify with. Specifically because I am very much a goal oriented person. But I also need that nebulous, egoless space to keep me on track, since for me, the passions can be distracting. I was not seeking academia, I was seeking viscera. A book can't inform that. But you and Zenchi have in a way. The information you just posted in conjunction with my observations of behavior/action have given me a much more precise understanding of what the academic side means. So again, thank you. It has been an enjoyable conversation. I hope in the future that there are more.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #268703 by
Oh, and since it was mentioned in the Sith Studies thread( I cannot post there) The Sith path, is not a spiritual path.

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: As for giving anyone the answers to any spiritual pursuit that is impossible, be it Sith or any other path, including Jedi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #268705 by

Khaos wrote: Oh, and since it was mentioned in the Sith Studies thread( I cannot post there) The Sith path, is not a spiritual path.

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: As for giving anyone the answers to any spiritual pursuit that is impossible, be it Sith or any other path, including Jedi.

I think there are a few different definitions of the term "Sith" that are in common use. Some of it comes from misconception and some of it comes from different context. I know that you follow a specific definition according to your view of what a Sith is but I have also seen sites with those that follow a path of "Sith" that is extremely spiritual where they expose a worship of dark emotions and or forces. Many others define Sith as something that is "opposite of Jedi". They become mired in the mythology of star wars and have trouble rising above those limited definitions and so the term Sith becomes an easy opposite to Jedi or as a convenient definition (no matter how inaccurate) of a dark nature that they feel they need to suppress in order to achieve enlightenment. Some people use these definitions interchangeably out of ignorance of its deeper nuances.

EDIT: I do wonder however, if you find no spirituality in your path whatsoever, why you hang out on a spiritually centered board explaining your views on Sith? Even if those here may view your path as a spiritual one in opposition to their own, if you find no spiritual component why are you here discussing it at all? Why do you care?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #268707 by

Wescli Wardest wrote: That sounds like a pretty reasonable explanation that makes a good deal of sense. Thank you.

So in part it feels as if the different focuses of the two could be describe as one works on tools that assist focus on the internal exploration for the sake of the Journey; and, the other develops the tools to aid in the journey where end results are more of the goal?

If I am drawing an accurate conclusion from your explanation. I’m sure it is far more in depth and extensive than that. I am just attempting to sum up in a simplified, roundabout way.

Works for me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #268723 by
Personally I find Sith scary... How can Sith live with violence? :blink:

[hr]

If I may ask, what kind of any label do you not wish? :)

6h057 wrote: That's the thing. I'm interested in applying knowledge to life. I don't believe that any knowledge is bad knowledge. I don't wish to have any labels. I want to have a sandbox to test ideas. To me this is all scientific. Inspiration creates idea, hypothesize use of idea, test idea, record results. If something proves useful to me, I keep it. If it is not useful, I leave it. That is literally the role that this community plays in my current state of mind. Knowing, is superficial in my worldview. Applying is where the understanding happens for me.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi