Reminder: TOTJO is global, not just American

More
7 years 8 months ago #254850 by JamesSand

As a citizen of the U.S., am I to assume that all Australians are like "Crocodile Dundee"?

That's the hope - They really need the tourism money :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254859 by
Sigh. Now I'll never know what the more offensive than "yank" term is.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254862 by

Trisskar wrote:

Tell that to most Americans, they all seem to think the US is the centre of the universe!

I didn't finish reading the thread yet...But wanted to comment on this particular point which I seen was being discussed.

I am American.

I do not feel we are the center of the universe.

Exceptionalism is always the escape of people who fail to examine their own biases and prejudices, or in this case overinflated self-importance.

Realize that I am not accusing you of those things specifically, but I wanted to address the sentiment and you articulated it so well. Constructive criticism regarding cultural values or the like has little effect if we all abscond responsibility by saying, "well, I'm not like that... Stop generalizing!"

If you indeed do not regard yourself as the center of the universe simply on the premise that you are American, then congratulations on defying the archetype. America has made itself the global police, sticking its throbbing pecker in other country's faces demanding that they imitate our idea of democracy without a second thought for whether we actually embody a democracy or if it's all a big charade. We are a nation that insists its children should pledge allegiance to the flag at the start of the school day and never stopped to think about how absurdly creepy that is or why it might be immoral and unethical to brainwash children like that. We are a nation where the dollar buys anything, anything from politicians to people. We are a nation that committed genocide to steal land from the indigenous people and then have the audacity to turn people away who are seeking opportunities here. We are nation that bombs villages, hospitals, and farmland telling the people living there that they should be grateful that we are liberating them while we cry "Never Forget" every 9/11. We are a nation that places the cost of healthcare above the wellbeing of our citizens and never once examines the underlying fraudulent corruption of the industrialized medical system and pharmaceutical market. We are nation that has dozens, if not hundreds of philanthropic organizations to raise awareness and funds for cancer treatment and prevention but if a person has a mental illness they are more likely to end up homeless and a victim of violent crime. We are a nation that will step over the homeless on our way to amusement parks.

But no, you're right, it's not fair to generalize so please, let's continue with the illusion that each individual bears responsibility only for their own actions and not for the shared action or inaction of the nation which they belong to.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254864 by JamesSand

Sigh. Now I'll never know what the more offensive than "yank" term is.

Not sure what he meant, but at a guess - "Seppo"

Short for "Septic Tank" (Rhymes with Yank :P )

I don't know if it is unique, but having worked with many Australians, I can say it is a quirk of Australian language to not necessarily say what you mean, in terms of giving praise or insult.

If the world is ending, an australian might say "Well, that's a bit average isn't it?"

If s/he thinks you're a good person, s/he might say "F*** me, you're a C***" (I asterisk for the sake of the forum)

If you stuff something up really badly, or they don't like you - "good work, mate"

Now it might sound like I'm being an "apologist" for Australian bad language - I don't see it that way, it is their culture, and just because they are younger (and predominantly white?) doesn't mean they deserve finger wagging and telling off any more than any other group that has practices and language nuances that are not well understood.

It is....something cultural in Australia that no matter how bad an argument is between mates, there's still time for a pint at the pub after work, and they'll still stand together against an "outsider"

(I make sweeping statements about Australia, which admittedly is currently in a bit of a social change as it debates what it means to "be australian" with a changing population and relatively (to its population) heavy immigration.)

Edit: another thing affecting what it means to "be Australian" is the heavy access to USA Media - strong consumerism, and glorification of body image and vanity (read: Kim Kardashian's instagram)
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by JamesSand.

More
7 years 8 months ago #254866 by JamesSand

let's continue with the illusion that each individual bears responsibility only for their own actions and not for the shared action or inaction of the nation which they belong to.

I initially was going to say this is a bit of a harsh call, and I suppose I still think it is, but it did bring a thought to mind for me.

my (fairly minimal) understanding of the USA is that somewhere in your constitution or amendments, the people have a mandate to keep the government honest and responsible for its actions.

(I could be way off with my interpretation here) Would I be fair to say that any member of the US population who exercises their right to bear arms is required to take up those arms against the government if they find it oppressive? Every person in that country who has NOT taken up arms against the government is thereby giving assent to its actions?

More
7 years 8 months ago #254874 by Edan
Does anyone see the irony here? A thread about the forum not just being American has become a thread about the USA :huh:

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Jestor, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Avalon, Zenchi, , Loudzoo and 5 other people also said thanks.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254877 by

Edan wrote: Does anyone see the irony here? A thread about the forum not just being American has become a thread about the USA :huh:

Thank you Edan , i just got so tired of that , just could not be bothered to react anymore , i think i will point it out the next time i see this happening , i bottle it up to much , just coming from a litte country far away across the ocean i even feel intimidated by you Brits , no more , we do matter , Dutch opinions do matter ...thank you Edan *hugs*

More
7 years 8 months ago #254881 by Zenchi

MartaLina wrote:

Edan wrote: Does anyone see the irony here? A thread about the forum not just being American has become a thread about the USA :huh:

Thank you Edan , i just got so tired of that , just could not be bothered to react anymore , i think i will point it out the next time i see this happening , i bottle it up to much , just coming from a litte country far away across the ocean i even feel intimidated by you Brits , no more , we do matter , Dutch opinions do matter ...thank you Edan *hugs*

Can't say it enough, you have a voice, use it...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254894 by
Ok. I'll honestly try to stop ranting about americans. I'm not anti-American. I just think that the power the have is in the hands of the wrong people, and history has made some of their people crazy. I'm not really a fan of the white person altogether. (Not racist, I am white), but, that's what I think. There you go.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254895 by

Silas Mercury wrote: I'm not really a fan of the white person altogether. (Not racist, I am white)

Why do you assume saying you don't like people because of the colour of their skin is "not racist", whatever colour your own skin might be?

I'm white, and therefore by this logic you're not a fan of me because of the colour of my skin. What's not racist about that?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi