• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254527 by
I reply to a post and that is it, if the topic continues so be it .. :laugh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254539 by x57z12

Murasaki wrote: Do not get me wrong, I have over 30 Yank friends, we are all members or Astromech, MSE or BB builders forums, and they are all on the same page because our love for building droids, but you also get the ones that like I said think because they are born in the USA, they should be feared and the US is the centre of the universe. They do not think about others, they think only of themselves.

Out of curiosity (cultural, I know neither the Japanese nor the Australian):
Does painting USA with this brush not disparage your ‘yank friends’ too?
If not, do you think they might feel slighted were they to hear these sentiments?

I’ve been in groups with members from a variety of countries (jay gaming) where some were told in not uncertain words what others thought of their country and they didn’t mind as long as they were addressed as individuals and not merely as members of their country.
Something along these lines?
If so, would it not be favorable to extend the same courtesy to the members of this temple too?

As a general question for everyone reading: What’s your experience with the USA vs non-USA topics/focus/etiquette?
For me it is mostly adjusting the way I express thoughts to take of the edge. Most things I’d say in German without anyone flinching seem to be like a high velocity brick to the face here. I don’t mind watching that though, at least most of the time I don’t.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by x57z12. Reason: you -> your, additions

More
7 years 8 months ago #254541 by JamesSand

As a general question for everyone reading: What’s your experience with the USA vs non-USA topics/focus/etiquette?
For me it is mostly adjusting the way I express thoughts to take of the edge. Most things I’d say in German without anyone flinching seem to be like a high velocity brick to the face here. I don’t mind watching that though, at least most of the time I don’t.

After many years of cultural invasion, I barely see or notice when something is "USA-Centric" - I strive to keep what I consider to be my cultural identity, but so much of my daily life is USA-enised, that it's hard to know the difference.

I automatically translate miles, dollars, and the like in my head when reading USA based information, and can normally "correct" for bias and local tradition when people make statements for this or that.

What is interesting is that I *can* do that for the USA, because I have (unintentionally) learned so much about the place - If I am talking to someone from Germany or Africa or any other number of countries, I have no real reference or context for their statements, because I do not know their history, culture and laws.

So I guess what irks me is that USA-vs-Non-USA is even a question.

From my perspective, it is My Culture vs Non-My Culture topics/focus/etiquette - the USA is a data point on the graph, not an axis.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254546 by

x57z12 wrote: Out of curiosity (cultural, I know neither the Japanese nor the Australian):
Does painting USA with this brush not disparage your ‘yank friends’ too?
If not, do you think they might feel slighted were they to hear these sentiments?

Yank is a term we give all in the USA, and as a friend in California stated, and I am copying and pasting his email ... and I got his permission first ..

My comment to him

Just looked a Jimmy's build log, he is from Singapore and 8 pages in and **** all comments from the other members on his build, but looking at a few of the newer builders in the US and already 17 pages and more comments from members then from the builders themselves ... Noticed most of the Australians that have joined over the past year have all ****** off now, because ignored by others ....

Arrogant ***** ... ****** me right off, we are all building because of our love of star wars and droids but people still behave like ***** because where you are in the world.

His Reply

Not only the world. Even within this country. So stupid. Texas hates California vice versa. And the Australians have been more than respectful on the site. I am i n total agreement right now. Arrogant **** *** chicken **** pieces is right

He is having trouble with fellow Americans that think because they are from this state or that state they are higher, and this is on the astromech site, so the brush is pretty much spot on, if even fellow Americans think Americans are arrogant.

Anyway I have said my piece .... Have better things to do then sitting around all day and night whipping a dead horse as they say!
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254547 by JamesSand
Maybe it's just [strike]American[/strike] USA droid builders :laugh:

some of your other examples are based on Americans in a military context

We now have three variables for people you don't like

People who make droids.
People in Military.
People from USA.

Which ones include you :P

Alright alright, I've worked with, and had relationships with folks from the USA, and I'll grant, some of them are arsehats.

but, so are some of the Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, Canucks, Germans.

Actually that's not true, I have not yet met a Canadian I didn't like - but there's plenty of Canadians, I'm sure I'd find some of them disagreeable.

Anyway, I'm not denying anyone's experience with another group of people- it's still not wise to make wild sweeping statements on the character of a group, especially a group as broad as the population of the USA- even if you can quote one member of that group as agreeing than some other members of that group acted poorly.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: x57z12

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254548 by

JamesSand wrote: We now have three variables for people you don't like

People who make droids.
People in Military.
People from USA.

Incorrect .....

No problem with Droid Builders as long as they show respect and I am a droid builder myself.
No problem with Military as I was military, but hate guys/girls that think they are hot ****, when they are not.
No problem with yanks as have many yank friends, have problems with arrogant people from the country, which I have met more then I need to, enough for 5 life times! :P

No problems with Chinese, Koreans, Australian, New Zealanders, British, Italian, Germans, Iranians etc.. met many of them here in Japan and all have been polite .....

More
7 years 8 months ago #254551 by JamesSand
It's all in the phrasing isn't it?

No problem with yanks as have many yank friends, have problems with arrogant people from the country!

comes off very differently from your initial statements which came off somewhat antagonistically and used words like "all".

I'm sure your clarification will prevent anyone being offended :)

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254552 by

JamesSand wrote: antagonistically and used words like "all".

Never said all said most ... ok ok 99.95% of them :laugh:

OK off this thread, if not this will go on until the day I fall off the perch and become one with the force :P

More
7 years 8 months ago #254554 by JamesSand
On another direction - TOTJO is Global, and made up of its constituents - Therefore, if the majority of followers of the Jedi Path here have origins in the USA, then it's fair to say the majority of content will be suited to them, and to "demand" the content suit various minorities is unjust in a way.

If we want more alternate content, either in the general discussion, or the IP - we from the other areas of the Globe that study Jediism need to provide it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254556 by
But, honestly, you guys elected George W. Bush. GEORGE W. BUSH !!! You also wiped out half of the Japanese population after they killed just 3000 of your soldiers. (If Murasaki live sin Japan I can see why he would be angry) Also, let's look at:
. Iraq
. Afghanistan
. South America
. You are the only advanced country that doesn't guarantee free healthcare
. Civil Rights Movement, it is disgusting that the need for this even arose.
. You didn't elect Bernie as your Democratic nominee.
. Donald Trump contributed to the Brexit

Just some points there.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi