Why do people here feel unimportant?

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #231644 by Edan

Now imagine that person who has all that weight behind them say: "Suck it up" "Deal with it or go". This kind of apathy (truly felt or otherwise) is hurtful. Here I see something that I feel could be better, I put myself out there, and I get "Shut up and color" instead. I put my heart and soul into something I see as wrong and instead of getting an explanation on why something is the way it is, or even "I see where you're coming from, lets talk about it", I get "too bad, so sad."

As I explained to someone in PM (but in more words), a community is made up of individuals.. dismissiveness at the top leads to discontentment below. Leaders are representatives of the populace, the greater the perceived gap between them by the populace, the more discontent people become. Those who disagree deserve the same respect as those who agree, and should be treated the same.

If you (general 'you') tell someone to 'buck up' you're basically making it seem like their opinion doesn't matter... it does matter... a person doesn't necessarily need to have their opinion acted upon to feel like they're being listened to.

This is what I see in your thoughts, and is why (I think) some members feel unimportant.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion, Kit, Avalon, , OB1Shinobi and 2 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #231647 by steamboat28
I have spent as much time questioning my membership here as I have studying, and none of that has been because of personal reasons or doubt. It's always been because of the community.

We have the potential to be great, but a lot of the time we're petty, mean, cliquish, self-important, attached to tradition, afraid of change, and exclusive.

And the irony of it is that I've questioned whether I belong in a place that doesn't want me so often, and yet nearly as often I've tried to convince others feeling the same way that they should stay. From members to novices to Knights and other high-profile members, a lot more people feel this way than are willing to comment.

The steadfast stances against change tend to rest on the fallacy that because it's been discussed before, there is no new information to warrant further talk. What may be exhaustion comes off as arrogance; we've already talked about it, and there's no reason to bring it up again, because nothing you can say will change our minds.

And a lot of the cliquishness depends on how hippie (or butt-kissy) you wish to seem publicly. I've seen a lot of people here try their best to sound profound, and then get butthurt when nobody claps and tells them what good Jedi they are. I've seen some people here do a complete 180°, changing from real people to fake gurus, and their popularity and the respect they're given only increases, no matter how much of a pretty jerk they still show themselves to be.

Regularly I feel like this is a temple of hypocrites. Hypocrites that are telling me I'm not good enough to be one of them. And sometimes, you just have to stop and ask if you really want their approval.

But, whatever. My master thinks I'm cool.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Kit, , OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 1 month ago #231648 by Br. John
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jediism/108036-the-folly-of-pleasing-all?limitstart=0&start=10#161718

Worth a re-read once a year.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 1 month ago #231649 by Edan

Br. John wrote: https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jediism/108036-the-folly-of-pleasing-all?limitstart=0&start=10#161718

It's not about pleasing all really. It's about listening and taking on board an opinion (and showing that) even if it isn't acted upon.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Kit, Avalon, OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 1 month ago #231650 by Br. John
What is a liberal universalist Christian? Is it the same or similar to a Progressive Christian?

One of my hero's is a retired Episcopalian Bishop - John Selby Spong .

I'm reading his latest book right now. Biblical Literalism: A Gentile Heresy

When I look at the tenants of Progressive Christianity they look very familiar.

http://progressivechristianity.org/the-8-points/

By calling ourselves progressive Christians, we mean we are Christians who… (as of March 3, 2016)

1. Believe that following the path and teachings of Jesus can lead to an awareness and experience of the Sacred and the Oneness and Unity of all life;

2. Affirm that the teachings of Jesus provide but one of many ways to experience the Sacredness and Oneness of life, and that we can draw from diverse sources of wisdom in our spiritual journey;

3. Seek community that is inclusive of ALL people, including but not limited to:
Conventional Christians and questioning skeptics,
Believers and agnostics,
Women and men,
Those of all sexual orientations and gender identities,
Those of all classes and abilities;

4. Know that the way we behave towards one another is the fullest expression of what we believe;

5. Find grace in the search for understanding and believe there is more value in questioning than in absolutes;

6. Strive for peace and justice among all people;

7. Strive to protect and restore the integrity of our Earth;

8. Commit to a path of life-long learning, compassion, and selfless love.

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #231656 by

Br. John wrote: What is a liberal universalist Christian? Is it the same or similar to a Progressive Christian?

They are not the same, and while universalists tend to be progressive Christians, not all or even most progressive Christians are universalists. I'm a progressive Christian, and while I do believe in a sort of universal reconciliation, I'm not the sort who believes in an atheistic view of Christianity as Spong does.

As for how I feel about Spong, that's not for this thread. Then again, having to explain the nuances of Adi's Theology and Religious Views™ is not for this thread also. Having to face this sort of questioning every time I mention my own beliefs is part of why I feel unwelcome in this community. Did you even *read* my post, man?! 0__0
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #231660 by Adder

Adi wrote: As for how I feel about Spong, that's not for this thread. Then again, having to explain the nuances of Adi's Theology and Religious Views™ is not for this thread also. Having to face this sort of questioning every time I mention my own beliefs is part of why I feel unwelcome in this community. Did you even *read* my post, man?! 0__0

It was just a question wasn't it? I don't mean to make you feel unwelcome by asking that... :S

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #231661 by
Sure. You could interpret it that way. But no one else in this thread mentioned that they were an Episcopalian (as Spong once was) or that they weren't a "liberal universalist Christian." I don't think it was directed at the community at large, needless to say.

edit in response to other edit:

Adder wrote: I don't mean to make you feel unwelcome by asking that...

You've got to be kidding me. Alright, I put my hands up: as I predicted, I officially regret posting in this thread. This thread should not be about me or about my religious views, ffs! When other people post about their personal religious views, they don't get anything like this. And yet here we are. This thread is about people in this community feeling unimportant and unwelcome. I'm out of here, in any case.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #231662 by Adder

Adi wrote: Sure. You could interpret it that way. But no one else in this thread mentioned that they were an Episcopalian (as Spong once was) or that they weren't a "liberal universalist Christian." I don't think it was directed at the community at large, needless to say.

edit in response to other edit:

Adder wrote: I don't mean to make you feel unwelcome by asking that...

You've got to be kidding me. Alright, I put my hands up: as I predicted, I officially regret posting in this thread. This thread should not be about me or about my religious views, ffs! When other people post about their personal religious views, they don't get anything like this. And yet here we are. This thread is about people in this community feeling unimportant and unwelcome. I'm out of here, in any case.

See, I wrote that edit in all seriousness. If something can be taken 2 ways, one positive and one negative, it's not always accurate to assume its negative. I was actually worried that you were uncomfortable with answering questions - after I realized I was asking a question about someone answering a question.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 1 month ago #231664 by Kit

Br. John wrote: https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jediism/108036-the-folly-of-pleasing-all?limitstart=0&start=10#161718

This is the bull shit I'm talking about. Do you know what this says? "Yeah, we can't please everyone, so we're not going to take your feelings into consideration. We're just not going to try. Deal with it. "

This isn't about pleasing everyone. Shit, I don't expect to be catered to. I'm not asking for that. I'm asking for my thoughts to matter. To be taken under consideration. That's all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion, Edan, Avalon, OB1Shinobi, and 3 other people also said thanks.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi