How many practice telekinesis?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212257 by
Replied by on topic How many practice telekinesis?
I would just find it weird if people believe in a force or energy and that people can connect to it and believe in spirits or afterlives or other types of energy, why would they dismiss something like telekinesis or magic? I really think it's because when people think of magic, they imagine people hurling fire balls or something from the movies, when real magic doesn't work that way. With Telekinesis, they imagine people using it like in the movies, flinging numerous objects all over the place, when telekinesis is a little more subtle than that.

People ask for proof but there are things that would be difficult to prove. Such as if you were casting a blessing spell on someone. You can watch it on film but the film wouldn't catch it, but that doesn't mean the person wasn't blessed in some way. With Telekinesis some have video taped it and some will say they are fake and some probably are. The only way I guess would be if you saw it yourself. What can't be proven can at least be experienced.
The topic has been locked.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212259 by
My thinking on this ...

I agree with the skeptics that there is scant evidence for real telekinesis, though I wouldn't say there is none. There are films of Ninel Kulagina of the former Soviet Union moving objects that at least sometimes was accomplished in a way that skeptics can neither explain nor replicate through trickery. At least one scientist who tested her reported measuring an unusual electomagnetic field when she used her ability to move things.

But even given zero credible evidence to date, I don't believe the limitations most of us humans experience during the course of a human lifetime reflect a condition inherent in all of nature throughout the multiverse. However we define that which initiated something as potent as the Big Bang, it doesn't seem like telekinetic ability would be something beyond its grasp to create.

I know I'm speculating and being subjective, and those for whom all truth comes from laboratory studies are likely to object. So be it; I'm convinced that while objectivity is an asset, subjective perception also has value in helping us to discern who we are and the nature of the creation in which we live.
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212264 by
I was always open minded. I never thought that just because science didn't prove it and wrote it down on a textbook, that means it didn't exist. There's a whole of things we have yet to understand. We haven't even fully understood our planet, let alone the universe. Whether it's science, magic, psychic abilities, it's all about studying the universe. I think there are some thing science can't explain, at least with our science anyway. Maybe in time certain things will be explained. But whenever you mention magic or telekinesis to someone, they assume you're talking about the stuff they do in movies. That stuff in movies is exaggerated.

Of course one should also mention that many of the great scientists practiced or at least had an interest in psychic abilities or magic or mysticism. George Washington Carver, Da Vinci, Isaac Newton, ect. did as well. These were scientists yet they didn't dismiss such things and these guys are looked up by scientists today, many of which that dismiss such abilities are fake. It's ironic to me.
More
8 years 4 months ago #212265 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic How many practice telekinesis?
Scientists do research on subjects with no evidence... that said .. I've yet to see a peer reviewed paper with evidence of telekinesis... I am a skeptic because I see a lot of people on the internet shouting 'it's true!' but nothing concrete to back it up...

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #212266 by Adder
At what point does something matter if its real or not? That might be interesting to consider in contrast to at what point something might best need to be provable to other people. For many things they would probably be the same, especially if there is any claim to something, or some other external interaction.

But even then, if we fool ourselves a little bit for some effect is it healthy to do!? It's difficult to know I guess but mindfulness would have to be a key. You'd probably also want to learn up about prodromal phases of psychosis and delusion to avoid reinforcing things which might have already been demonstrated in others that appear to be connected to the development of delusion.
Delusion is loosely defined as believing in something which is a peculiar or individual belief or impression maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument. Of course if it can be proved then it becomes part of that broader reality.

Not that acting delusionally automatically means you are or are going to develop a condition of mental illness. It is good though to be mindful about why something is being entertained and where its boundaries might best lie in ascribing belief to it.

I agree about being open minded, and even experimentation where appropriately prepared, but I think as much as we might need to be open minded we need to anchor it against science to avoid getting blown away in the wind of imagination, so to speak
:lol:
The mind is a very powerful thing.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #212271 by OB1Shinobi
i dont have any reason to belive in telekenesis

if it is possible i dont know what one can do to make it manifest but i know that no one has demonstrated publically in any credible fashion that they are able to do it and no one who has claimed to be able to do that i have seen, has impressed me or seemed credible to my judgement

i do however belive that consciousness is capable of more than we might allow for currently

i know from experience, which i realize is considered unreliable, because it is unreliable, that ATTENTION can be percieved and thoughts can be shared

i dont know how this happens,if one wants to say it is subtle unconscious cues or mystical energy fields but it is a perfectly common occurance for women to realize with absolute certainty that someone is staring at their curvy lady parts even in moments when there is no particular reason they should have gotten that vibe

also i would challenge you to sit in a public place and stare at womens curvy lady parts when they have their backs to you or are simply not able to see you and see notice how often they show signs of self consciousness, such as adjusting their shirt or pulling up their pants when they feel themselves being watched

do this to men too
this is not to advocate being a creep, but to challenge you to prove to yourself if it is possible for people to feel other peoples attention

where the limits are of "psychic" phenomenon i dont know - i dont know if human spirits continue to exist after death - i dont really think they do but who am i?

i think that anyone who wants to confirm these sorts of things for themselves has got to be genuine and disciplined in meditation of various types, as well as other traditional consciousness exploration techniques of different disciplines such as lucid dreaming, shamanic drumming, fasting, and proper ritual use of proven psychotropic substances

i do believe that at a certainlevel of progression in those areas one will be able to say for themselves if they belive in any kind of "extra sensory" perception - which btw is not imo an accurate term at all

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212274 by
I think all this is all about imagination and wishful thinking. I do fantasize about this though. In my dreams I fly... :)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212276 by
I have seen some pretty wild stuff in my day. I actually was deeply involved in some bad joo joo as a younger person (ages 12-15, specifically).

Unfortunately, because I had visions of myself hurting those I loved, I stopped messing with that stuff... But, I've been a part of the world where extraordinary things happen. The nature of those powers though is that once you know about them and use them... you desperately want to keep them to yourself. That's why many teachers are now turning away students in the digital age. Teachers like John Chang, for instance, who made themselves available once... and now are in the fringe because of how badly our society would take these things being out in the open.

I do not blame people for being skeptical. I would actively encourage it. I'm still skeptical to this day, and I've seen CRAZY, mind blowing things...

Always question.

I do not practice telekinesis... and, actually, I never did.
More
8 years 4 months ago #212354 by Gisteron

Yabuturtle wrote: I would just find it weird if people believe in a force or energy and that people can connect to it and believe in spirits or afterlives or other types of energy...

... and I don't recall you asking who here actually does. A few might, I suppose...

... why would they dismiss something like telekinesis or magic?

One would hope they do that for better reasons than the ones they give for accepting the former, I guess. What I find weird is expecting that a person with irrational beliefs in some areas would be perfectly consistent about at least that. I do not know what the fraction is of belief standards that would allow for one and not the other, I cannot begin to imagine how likely it is that any one person hit one and not any other.

I really think it's because when people think of magic, they imagine people hurling fire balls or something from the movies...

Oh, I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where you surveyed people on what they think of magic. Would you kindly link us to your results, please?

... when real magic doesn't work that way.

Oh, so you suddenly know how 'real magic' works, do you? Please, elaborate!

With Telekinesis, they imagine people using it like in the movies, flinging numerous objects all over the place, when telekinesis is a little more subtle than that.

And you know what extent telekinesis can take, too, do you? Why would you argue for open-mindedness (which is not what you think it is, btw...) or nonsense-belief-consistency, if the truth is so evident to you? Why not just go ahead and make it evident to us also?

People ask for proof but there are things that would be difficult to prove.

Yes, so let's just believe them anyway, right? Wrong. It's not our fault they have no evidence for their claims, and we sure won't be cutting them any slack just because their burden of proof is so heavy. If your product doesn't sell, that doesn't make the production cheaper either. If anything, it makes the advertisement all the more expensive.

Such as if you were casting a blessing spell on someone. You can watch it on film but the film wouldn't catch it, but that doesn't mean the person wasn't blessed in some way.

Nor does it mean that the person was. The time to believe that they were is after some evidence could be uncovered and no second sooner.

With Telekinesis some have video taped it and some will say they are fake and some probably are. The only way I guess would be if you saw it yourself. What can't be proven can at least be experienced.

If you trust your experience as a sole judge of what is real and what isn't, sure. I don't. If I saw something unbelievable, I'd first assume I was either mistaken or my mind was tricked in some way. Absolutely every illusion and every ever so rare drug is more believable to me than that I was a witness to genuine magic like nobody before even once in the history of mankind. I would have to cross confirm my experience with as many independant and unbiased parties as I could, I would test my body for possible malfunctions at that time and I would challenge the wizard to perform his powers again in an environment where better controls are implemented than my mere self. It's a matter of humility, you see. The arrogant thing would be to say that "since I saw it, it must've been genuine, because I cannot possibly be fooled".

Yabuturtle wrote: I was always open minded...
[...]
... things will be explained.

This sounds an awful lot to me like "we don't know everything yet, therefore magic is real". This is called an appeal to ignorance and is an informal logical fallacy.

But whenever you mention magic or telekinesis to someone, they assume you're talking about the stuff they do in movies.

I don't. That alone is enough to dismiss the quoted statement, because obviously it is not a "whenever", but I'm gonna be generous here. I do tentatively in those cases assume some variation on the telekinesis claims I know people made. I am however willing to entertain a different interpretation of the label, if you choose to suggest one, which of course so far you haven't...

That stuff in movies is exaggerated.

You don't know that. For all you know the movies may have picked a genuine telekinet and you may be witnessing the real thing. Or maybe you are correct. Or maybe you are correct and also genuine telekinesis is not actually something real. I phrased the third option deliberately in a way as to leave you with the burden of only having to disprove the first option. Can you do it?

Of course one should also mention that many of the great scientists practiced or at least had an interest in psychic abilities or magic or mysticism. George Washington Carver, Da Vinci, Isaac Newton, ect. did as well.

This is an appeal to origins, more specifically an argument from authority, another informal logical fallacy. At the risk of being too dismissive, I shall however nonetheless respond to this one in the following way: Neither any of the fine gentlemen you listed, nor anybody else had established their claims of magic on pure scientific grounds. Just as not every rational thinker and not even every skeptic is necessarily a scientist, so is not everybody who ever contributed to the progression of science a scientist and, more crucially, not every scientist is necessarily a perfectly rational thinker or at least a skeptic in fields that are not his own field of study; some are even struggling to be that well within their own fields.

These were scientists yet they didn't dismiss such things and these guys are looked up by scientists today, many of which that dismiss such abilities are fake. It's ironic to me.

A great thinker of the past is not the same as a prophet, you see. One of the key understandings to precede any and all of science is the recognition that anybody and everybody can be wrong about just about anything they ever think when it comes to matters of the real world. There are no prayers to Newton or Darwin, no altars to sacrifice to them, no shrines to them that we kneel to. They are fallible people as is the rest of us. We have no obligation to take anything they say seriously unless it serves as a sufficiently accurate predictive model of observed reality. Those things are helpful irrespective of what else came from the same mind, and the nonsense that might have come from that place is no more credible for being of that origin either. What you are asking is how I can possibly utilize the brilliant local Autobahn system without also believing that Aryans are supreme. Well, you see, science, much like transportation, is not a religion. I don't need to worship the guy who made my roads. And I don't need to buy into alchemy just because the guy who reinvented calculus did.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212356 by

... why would they dismiss something like telekinesis or magic?

I believe that "Anything is possible" even the supernatural :)

However I believe more in the things that I can physically see, touch and say "Ah ha." I cannot counter it with a logical explination.

I believe that people can do great miricales.

I also believe that not everything that CAN happen.....can and/or should be logically explained.

Confusing enough? ;)

Can it be done? Sure, it is quite possible. I however have not seen it done, nor have I been able to do it myself (not without lack of trying) and it will take far more than a Psi Wheel to convince me that YOU can do it.

In the end. I simply choose to exert my lifes energy to more important life skills....like raising my two daughters. :)
Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi