Jedi Bush-trackers...

More
10 years 1 month ago #140001 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
Or if you have a lot of money try this

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140002 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...

Whyte Horse wrote: Or if you have a lot of money try this

Those are nice, but at the moment I can't legally own firearms, only air guns and black powder arms.

The one I posted is a .25 cal Hatsan BT65-SB that sends a 25 grain pellet down range at about 1100 feet per second. I plan on using it for small game and medium game such as coyote and fox.

So long and thanks for all the fish

More
10 years 1 month ago #140005 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...

Kohadra wrote:

Those are nice, but at the moment I can't legally own firearms, only air guns and black powder arms.

The one I posted is a .25 cal Hatsan BT65-SB that sends a 25 grain pellet down range at about 1100 feet per second. I plan on using it for small game and medium game such as coyote and fox.

OIC, well then you're much better off going with a bow or crossbow. Although the new blackpowder rifles are insane for accuracy and power(mostly a cheat tactic for old guys who have money but don't want to go in the regular season).

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140010 by Kohadre

Whyte Horse wrote:

Kohadra wrote:

OIC, well then you're much better off going with a bow or crossbow. Although the new blackpowder rifles are insane for accuracy and power(mostly a cheat tactic for old guys who have money but don't want to go in the regular season).

Crossbows are currently banned in my state, and although I do own a folding bow for large game. I struggle to draw it though, so I think I would be better off with a black powder rifle for large game.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140130 by Wescli Wardest
That's a pretty fancy air rifle. Cool! I have one in .177 that spits them out at just over 1200 fps. But I don't use it that much any more. Nothing wrong with it! I have just been more into sling shots and archery as of the last few years.

I have seen some new .22 air rifles that only need one pump and they are pretty cool. Thought about getting one myself. But you know what would be really cool (just a thought) if there were a mold for casting air rifle ammo like for casting round ball or mini ball. Then anything you run across could become ammunition. I may have to look into that! :D

Monastic Order of Knights

More
10 years 1 month ago #140208 by Kohadre

Wescli Wardest wrote: That's a pretty fancy air rifle. Cool! I have one in .177 that spits them out at just over 1200 fps. But I don't use it that much any more. Nothing wrong with it! I have just been more into sling shots and archery as of the last few years.

I have seen some new .22 air rifles that only need one pump and they are pretty cool. Thought about getting one myself. But you know what would be really cool (just a thought) if there were a mold for casting air rifle ammo like for casting round ball or mini ball. Then anything you run across could become ammunition. I may have to look into that! :D

There is, I am placing an order for one within the next few weeks. The guy who makes them has them in .177, .22, and .25

http://nomad-pelletmaker.weebly.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
10 years 1 month ago #140214 by Kohadre

Wescli Wardest wrote: That's a pretty fancy air rifle. Cool! I have one in .177 that spits them out at just over 1200 fps. But I don't use it that much any more. Nothing wrong with it! I have just been more into sling shots and archery as of the last few years.

Also, I am doubtful that your's sends them out at over 1200 FPS unless you are using the alloy pellets that most manufacturers test their air rifles with.

The only maker of air arms I know of that tests their guns with standard grain led pellets is Hatsan (Or at least, they are the only one who advertises that they use led pellets to test the speed of their air guns)

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #140216 by Wescli Wardest
Gamo makes the pellets I use most for hunting and target shooting. The PBA Raptor Pellet has to be my second favorite…
http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=79
And even though they report 1200 fps @ muzzle I have run them through my chronograph and gotten results consistently higher. Not a lot, 100-180 fps higher at 10 yrds… but higher.

But my favorite is the PBA Platinum.
http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=325

But for just good old setting around the back yard plinking soda cans I use Crosman’s Premium Super Point pellets. (7.9 grains, 500 ct for just $10) I doubt they reach such high velocity, And I have never tested them on the chronograph either.

Now I understand that if I make my own pellets they will probably not be as accurate at range or have the same velocity that they premium pellets do. I just thought it would be neat to be able to make my own pellets. :D

Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Wescli Wardest.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140217 by Kohadre
Interesting.

I don't personally use the PBA ammo as I have heard it is wildly inaccurate past 10-15 yards, plus it is much more costly than standard ammunition.

It also makes it difficult to maintain accuracy when using a scope as the lighter weight alloy pellets have a different trajectory than their led counterparts. So basically if you are switching between alloy and led pellets, or between lighter grain led pellets and extra heavy grain pellets, you will have to re-sight your scope every time you go to switch.

For that reason I try and use ammunition of the relative same grain, even if it's from a different manufacturer.

Although, if I start casting my own ammunition, I may just use that as the molds being sold have a heavier weight than most pellets on the market, aside from the Benjamin and Eun Jinn pellets.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140218 by Wescli Wardest
I haven’t had any accuracy problems using it and I fire out to 50 yrds with the PBA Platinum.

Just for popping aluminum cans in the back yrd the scope is close enough not to cause misses at that range. Even with the grain and trajectory difference. So I don’t bother changing that either.

Now when I use my rifle (Remington .30-06) I make my own rounds for it and have an extensive D.O.P.E. (Data On Personal Equipment) I have tracked and logged several rds over range, temp, barometric pressure, altitude, elevation… and I keep that scope zeroed @ 300 yrds. So, I understand your concern for the difference in grain weight and speed for the air rifle. But for what I use it for it is more than accurate enough.

Most pellet ammunition loses enough kinetic energy beyond 50 yrds to NOT be a human hunting solution. So the way I have it set up is very accurate and dependable for what I do with it and the cheap pellets allow me to use the pellet rifle often enough for my finger to remember the trigger break without burning through the more expensive ammunition. ;)

Speaking of trigger breaks, I have never been “happy” with the trigger break on my air rifle. But since it has always done the job I just go with it. :P

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi