Jedi Bush-trackers...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #132776 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
Great thread!

I was gonna ask what bushcraft blade you prefer then I saw you MADE your own!

Respect.

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #132779 by Wescli Wardest
I am currently working on the sheath for it.

Attachment h90e9993.jpg not found

I know, it looks rough! :P I just got the first set of stitches in and am forming the leather to the blade before I finish it, stain it and dress all the edges. I has a metal ring in the back so that the sheath can swivel while its worn... just a comfort thing I guess.

I'll post a picture of the end product when I'm done. ;)

Monastic Order of Knights
Attachments:

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #132796 by Wescli Wardest
I still have to make the piece that hooks the sheath to my belt from the ring in back (which you can see a little) but that's just about it.

Attachment hb3ef65b.jpg not found

I can't wait to take it out and see how it wears... I hope it's as comfortable as I suspect it will be. ;)

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Wescli Wardest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

More
10 years 3 months ago #132798 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
I want to look into these knives, please share if you have experience with them:

Also I saw some awesome way to carry a bow. Just replace the front mount thingy with an eye-hook or bolt and run a strap from it to your body. It then swings down by your side, but it's easily picked up and shot.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
10 years 3 months ago #132804 by Whyte Horse
Oh and if you have any experience with the Vietnam tomahawk I was thinking it would make a good replacement for an axe:

More
10 years 3 months ago #132810 by Wescli Wardest
The Knife is a kukri. The design came from the pacific area, Philippines I think. It is a good design and if I carry one I leave hatchets and tomahawks behind. They are great at hacking and cutting… if you get one made out of a good material they can remain relatively sharp long enough to complete small tasks. I have one and think it was one of the best $20 investments I have made. I would honestly steer people away from the pretty stainless ones with the wooden handles. They may look nice, and would be a fine piece if you are a collector, but won’t be worth their weight in the field.

I have a Kukri. Just cold forged steel with a rubber mold cast handle and I cat take a 3” limb off in one clean cut.

As for the SOG tomahawk… it’s ok. I prefer an actual axe for the purposes an axe is used for. You can get a small axe/hatchet that will fell and process wood much better and faster than a tomahawk will. If you are packing light and may run into a situation where you need a quick CQB weapon, a tomahawk is an efficient killer that can do the work of an axe. But… I prefer wood handles.

In this video, I believe that Dave Canterbury explains the use of tools used in bush craft and some pros and cons of each of the ones he covers. The Kukri is not in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyL-j3p7VHk&list=PL6B3D89B23CDE649F

Keep in mind that I do not know everything and these are just my opinions based on what I have learned and test with time in the field. What I use is good for me in my environment and may not be best for others or where they are. Just sharing what I have figured out through trial and error. And believe me there has been plenty of error! Hahahhahhaha :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #132827 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
I just picked up a copy of "American Frontiersman" 2014 Survival Guide off the news stand. Lots of good stuff inside. It's fun to read through it and get ideas.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #133478 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
I was talking with Reliah in chat, and at her request am posting the following steps used to determine if plants which are being consumed for the first time are either poisonous, or containing properties that one may be allergic to.

In case anyone was wondering, I am the head of a local bushcraft group, and have a good amount of experience out in the "field"

When consuming new plants for the first time, it is crucial to test them to see if they are safe for consumption. Even if you know a plant to be non-poisonous by a clear and undisputed identification using a field guide, you cannot be sure that you are not allergic to it. Even if it is a plant you may have eaten before, the wild strains may contain somewhat different compositions than their farmed, and often genetically modified counterparts.

The first step is to see if the plant is healthy by checking for dead parts such as leaves, or for signs of consumption by insects if it has either, its a no go. Signs of consumption by insects are commonly indicated by holes chewed in the leaves or of the plant, or a slimy texture over the leaves or stalk of the plant in question.

The second step is to pulverize a small bit and check to see if it smells like almonds or peaches. If it smells of either, its a no go. Such scents are indications of poison in the plant.

The third step is to rub a small amount of the pulverized plant on a tender patch of skin, such as the underarm. If irritation occurs or rash develops, its a no go.

The fourth step is the taste test, put a small bit in mouth and rub on inner cheek. Then spit out material and wait five minutes. If no irritation or swelling occurs, move on to next step. If irritation or swelling occur, its a no go.

The next step in the taste testing process is to place a small amount on the tip of tongue, and hold material on tongue for five minutes. If irritation or swelling occur, its a no go. If not spit out material and repeat same process with material under the tongue this time.

The next step in the taste testing process is to swallow a small amount of the material. If no excess belching, nausea, indigestion, or discomfort occur within 5 hours, plant is safe to consume. DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING FURTHER WHILE WAITING.

Should indications of excess belching, nausea, indigestion, or discomfort occur within 5 hour waiting period, flush system with WARM water and seek immediate medical attention. Bring sample of plant consumed for identification if possible.

It is also important to keep in mind that certain parts of plants may pass the test while others may fail it. For this reason, it is crucial to test ALL parts of plants which are being consumed. For example, there is a local plant in my area known as the ornamental yew. The plant produces a pinkish-red fruit, the flesh of which is edible. The seeds and needles of the plants are toxic however, and potent enough to kill a full-grown adult horse.

Happy foraging everyone!

So long and thanks for all the fish
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Kohadre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
10 years 3 months ago #133500 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...

Whyte Horse wrote: I want to look into these knives, please share if you have experience with them:

Also I saw some awesome way to carry a bow. Just replace the front mount thingy with an eye-hook or bolt and run a strap from it to your body. It then swings down by your side, but it's easily picked up and shot.

Kukri-style blades are really good for chopping and hacking, and therefore, they don't make half-bad survival tools, once you get the hang of them. I think the best suited to the purpose was a kukri-bladed machete from Cold Steel. (If you're not familiar with those guys, they make the neatest toys. I want the SF shovel)

As for the bow, I don't personally trust that kind of sling, because it tends to knock around a lot. With only one point of attachment, in the center of the bow, the whole width of the bow swings wildly if you don't have your hand constantly on it (and at that point, what's the purpose in a sling?). Given that even the most primitive bows are precision instruments, I prefer something that will more securely keep the bow from flopping about. YMMV.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
10 years 3 months ago #133630 by Whyte Horse

steamboat28 wrote: I think the best suited to the purpose was a kukri-bladed machete from Cold Steel. (If you're not familiar with those guys, they make the neatest toys. I want the SF shovel)

As for the bow, I don't personally trust that kind of sling, because it tends to knock around a lot. With only one point of attachment, in the center of the bow, the whole width of the bow swings wildly if you don't have your hand constantly on it (and at that point, what's the purpose in a sling?). Given that even the most primitive bows are precision instruments, I prefer something that will more securely keep the bow from flopping about. YMMV.

Well I don't have $699 for a blade sorry. The bow sling isn't supposed to isolate the bow, it is supposed to take the weight off your arm. There are many slings that do thos but there are drawbacks. The main thing is getting your bow to the ready position. The bow backpacks are the worst, followed by the slings. For like $200 you can can get a decent sling that does what the sling I like does. It just takes the weight off while you walk and can be raised and shot with no noise or movement. Just lift your hand with the bow in it and shoot.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi