Jedi Bush-trackers...

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #133640 by Wescli Wardest
@ Whyte Horse...

I use a Kukri and love it. The one I have is under $20, and my brother just bought the same one so I know the price is still good.
http://www.casa.com/p/cold-steel-kukri-machete-w-pvc-handle-574157?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_C&utm_term=FPS-74424&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1468251194&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla

Attachment h48654e7.jpg not found

This is not an endorsment for any product by ToTJO, nor is it advertising a product for the products benefit. This message is meant to relay that there are resonably cheap alternatives.

Monastic Order of Knights
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Wescli Wardest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #133642 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...

Whyte Horse wrote: Well I don't have $699 for a blade sorry.

I wasn't suggesting one of their ludicrously priced blades; their machete line runs less than $25 USD. I got this one:
Warning: Spoiler!

for $12 on closeout because they were discontinuing the design, and it's the single best working blade of it's kind I've ever owned. Like Wescli noted, this isn't any kind of "official endorsement" by TotJO, and neither am I attempting to engage in advertibahblahblah disclaimers, but I've put my life in this $12 blade's metaphorical hands numerous times, and it's never let me down. You can get extremely good quality blades for woodlands roughwork for stupidly, stupidly cheap.

Whyte Horse wrote: The bow sling isn't supposed to isolate the bow, it is supposed to take the weight off your arm. There are many slings that do thos but there are drawbacks. The main thing is getting your bow to the ready position. The bow backpacks are the worst, followed by the slings. For like $200 you can can get a decent sling that does what the sling I like does. It just takes the weight off while you walk and can be raised and shot with no noise or movement. Just lift your hand with the bow in it and shoot.

Or, you could hold your bow. In your hand. As a mostly-traditional shooter, that's what I do. I've done it with compounds before, and while they're heavier, it's still not a burden, and it allows you to prevent any kind of catastrophic damage to your investment (i come from a family that believes in $400+ bows with $200+ sights and $150+ in extra bells and whistles) while tromping through the wilderness. But my opinion may be a little biased as someone who spent ten years running an archery shop and repairing bows with lots of tree damage weekly during season.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Wescli Wardest

More
10 years 3 months ago #134403 by Wescli Wardest
As part of Bush Craft, I try to leave things as I found them or better. My daughter and I were hiking today and spotted a Guinea Pig. I know they are not native here (probably someone got rid of their pet) and the temp is going to drop back down to freezing tonight… so I rescued her. I think we now have a new pet. ;)

Attachment h8ef21af_2014-01-23.jpg not found

The bag my daughter carried the Guinea Pig home in. (picture taken as we got out of the woods)

Attachment hb6d1290.jpg not found

Pickles (The Guinea Pigs new name) coming out to see her new home.

You never know what adventure you’ll have when you go into the wilderness. Keep heading out and have a great time. :D

Monastic Order of Knights
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #134410 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
I have 3 different "brands/types"of kukri's. I have the one that is pictured below, one that is in a previous post, and another. Each has a different type of blade steel and thickness. Don't bother with anything other than the one in this post. It gives you better control of the blade when swinging in thicker bush. It strikes harder and hold an edge longer.

The one that is pictured in the previous post, bent on a camping trip on the second day. The light weight of the blade allowed it to deflect and twist in my hand. It is good for thin tree limbs, but if you are trying to build shelter or chop fire wood, it takes work and energy that may be needed to be preserved for survival.

Attachment hdeef638.jpg not found

edit - I paid $30 at Sportsman's guide but it can be found elsewhere.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by .

More
10 years 3 months ago #134419 by Reacher
Replied by Reacher on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
I can't remember...was it the traditional kukri knife that was made for chopping at an angle with a specific hand? As in, hold it in your right and it bites into wood, flesh, whatever...hold it in your left and it slides. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #134519 by
I just did a 3 hour search online looking for something about this. All I found was that it is typically worn on the left side and cross drawn by the right hand, but it talks about using the kukri with either hand.

Attachment h868f49b.pdf not found

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #139751 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
How to open a 'tuna can', (any really)in the zombie apocalypse...;)

http://naturalhealthwarriors.com/how-to-open-a-can-without-any-tools

EDIT: for some reason, I am having trouble imbedding the video...grrr...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oH2NahLjx-Y

This message contains confidential information

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Wescli Wardest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #139835 by
Awesome info amongst all the knife-bragging :lol:

It makes me want to go camping... and buy a better knife ;)

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #139992 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
My bushcraft setup, pack and hunting gear.

So long and thanks for all the fish
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Kohadre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #139999 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...

Kohadra wrote: My bushcraft setup, pack and hunting gear.

I see you went with the noisy nylon and remington A thing. Been there, done that... learned my lesson. Now check this out:

And this:

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Whyte Horse.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi