Jedi Bush-trackers...

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 6 months ago #122612 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
Bursting blisters is a last resort if its too uncomfortable to deal with. The fluid in a blister is filled with leukocytes and coagulants that help to keep infection at bay and start the healing process.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Wescli Wardest

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #122671 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
Don't tie you boots too tight for too long and you can minimize blisters. I always thoughts it was the wrong socks that made blisters but I was tieing my boots too tight. If you do feel the pain of a blister coming on STOP and put some tape over it before it gets worse. We too often tough it out and then you have a bigger problem to deal with.

More
10 years 5 months ago #123675 by Wescli Wardest
Okay, it's been a while and I have been working on making cord. Kohadra posted a link to a site that was pretty helpful.

So I spent some time, burnt some resolve and went to it. fifteen feet later I think I'm getting pretty good at it. I used cedar bark (the inside, finer stands that you would use for a birds nest) and it's not too bad if I say so myself.

Attachment h7c82913.JPG not found

Attachment h6d77532.JPG not found

Sorry about the poor resolution. I am still trying to figure this camera out. If I get better pictures I will re-post.

Just thought I'd share my little triumph with all of you. :laugh:

Monastic Order of Knights
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 5 months ago #123680 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
Andy Spaulding posted this on facebook...

Haven't seen one yet besides this video..

Looks cool though....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #124906 by Wescli Wardest
I made one rocket stove that didn't work as well as I had hoped. So I went back to the drawing board and started over.

Here is the latest and greatest. :woohoo:

My daughter helped me build it and she wanted to test it... so we got it on video. The whole thing is very light ( a little over a pound ) and works pretty darn good. I figure if I were somewhere with a burn ban or no ground fires I have a small (ish) and very portable solution that can hang off my backpack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRerD8Mg-I0&feature=player_detailpage

PS
, Ariana was surprised at how fast the noodles were cooked. I didn't time it, but it did not feel like more than around five minutes.

PPS.... I sound goofy! :P

Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Wescli Wardest. Reason: Added pps

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124910 by
Taiya would love you for that. She's always complaining her noodles take too long to cook! LOL That's pretty cool, though. I want one!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124960 by

Naya wrote: Taiya would love you for that. She's always complaining her noodles take too long to cook! LOL That's pretty cool, though. I want one!

A small alchol stove will work nicely in a rocket stove and for a few oz it's a great back up.

I have use my stove in a no fire area to smudge and cook but I use so little fuel and leave no trace so even the Ranger visiting couldn't tell if I had a fire.

WW do you think your cord coud tie down a tarp or snare a rabbit? I've never tried cedar bark. I would think it would be a little soft and the fiber not very long for braiding? I'll have to look that up.

More
10 years 5 months ago #124975 by Wescli Wardest
@ Rickie The Grey

Sure I think it would tie down a tarp. As for make a snare… probably not. I made the twist a little big so it probably wouldn’t slide well. :pinch:

But as I worked the fibers, I got them wet so that they were more flexible and then I twisted them together. I can pull on it pretty hard and it doesn’t stretch or anything. I chose the inner bark of cedar because it is workable (inner not outer) and will smolder well off a spark… like a chard wick. That and I have a LOT of cedars around here! Otherwise, the next best thing I could find would have been different grasses. :huh:

The fiber is not real long though. :unsure: But… that means I got to practice spicing new fibers in a lot!!! :cheer:

Bright side to every problem. :P :laugh:

The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
10 years 5 months ago #125004 by Reacher
Replied by Reacher on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
A bit on foot care...

If you can, stop and take care of a hot spot IMMEDIATELY. It may take some time, but it's worth the investment. I know during movements no one wants to hold up progress, but your mates will thank you for it when you don't have a medical issue later. Don't let something small turn into something big - the margin for error is very tight.

I offer this next technique because I used it to great effect...

I can't say this would be my go-to maneuver in all situations, but it's invaluable in others. Like everything in survival, it has to pass the common sense test.

If you are planning to burst, or have already bursted a blister and need it to stop filling up so you can MOVE...wick it out. I used a needle and thread: Punch the needle through the blister at its base, and emerge on the opposite side. You don't want a gaping tear...you want to limit infection. The cons are that you're draining out all the good stuff in a blister that keeps your tissue safer and exposing it to a foreign object - including dirt and bacteria. Consider your options, try to drive your chances of infection lower by keeping everything sterile, and clean your feet often. Yes - you have what amounts to an open would, but you DO have some protection. The skin is still in place, the wicking thread blocks a bit of stuff going into the two pin holes, and the flow of fluid is generally out. Again, I'd use this cautiously. The plus side is that you have less pain while walking, and if you do it overnight with your feet in the open air and not in boots all day, you're almost guaranteed dry blisters the next day.

Things to consider...if known distance is all that separates you from where you need to go...sometimes speed is better, and this option offers you that if you'll have access to medical attention, food, and rest at your safe area. Another is a suppressed immune system. If you've been out on a survival diet for a week, getting crummy sleep and exposed to the elements...get ready to get sick. If you think you'll be able to normally fight infection off for a couple days...you can expect a pretty quick turnover depending on your state. Or perhaps you've GOT access to clean water, first aid kit, and the time to heal up properly. Think, think, think.

Otherwise you'll end up like this guy:

:sick:

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Wescli Wardest

More
10 years 5 months ago #125091 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...

Wescli Wardest wrote: Shelter…
So often I hear people go on about fire and “survival knives”, then they pull out something you might find on Rambo’s hip. What is that all about? Hahahhaha :P

I have a small but growing collection of knives, each serving a different purpose. I will explain two of them to explain why one is a survival knife, and the other is not.

I have a small ten dollar multi-knife I picked up in a thrift bin at walmart, this is my daily carry knife in the event I need to open a package, trim loose material on clothing such as stray fibers, or in the rare event, shave at work.

I also have a thirty dollar smith & wesson - search & rescue model CKSUR2. This is my primary knife when out in the woods, camping, and carrying in my day bag when its not affixed to my hip.

The difference between the two, is that the first is suited as a general purpose knife. The blade is suited for daily tasks such as opening packages, trimming material, and other edged-tool related tasks. It is a folder knife with the laminated folder handle serving as a grip. It has no hand guard in the event my hand shifts, in which case I would cut myself on the knife if using it in a heavy duty utility or fighting scenario. This blade is approximately 2.5 inches

The second is more suited as a survival knife. It is a fixed blade knife, which makes it more cumbersome to carry around for everyday tasks. It is more suited to a survival scenario however, as it has textured grip to provide a good hold on the blade, a hand guard to prevent against injury from the hand slipping over the blade, and is constructed of better, more durable material than the folder knife. I could use this blade for hunting, chopping, fighting, and even general purposes such as opening packages or trimming material. This blade is approximately 4.5 inches

A survival knife should be able to handle the job of a normal knife, but also be able to stand up to the abuse of hunting, chopping, and in the rare and unfortunate event, fighting.

Not everyone will agree with me on this I'm sure, however these are just my thoughts on what makes a survival knife vs a general purpose one.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi