Jedi Bush-trackers...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #125170 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
Hey hey =)
Nice to see other Force-Naturalists (wow, think that's a new term. Maybe it'll catch on...)

I'm a wilderness awareness and skills practitioner myself. If fact, I'm in the Kalahari at the moment, doing community work with a bushmen community.

Regarding my Force-related path, I'm generally active only at the FA's Shadow Aspect. Don't know if you guys visit sometimes. Wilderness related observations have been pivotal in the formation of my Shadow path, and are my main prism into the Force and life in general. This is one such example .

Thanks for making this thread =)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #126767 by Wescli Wardest
The following video is an advertisement for Mini-Inferno. It is a type of "sure fire" that you carry with you. But the reason I post this is not to sell you something. I don't carry the product.

But the little girl in the video is just adorable! :laugh:
She is the granddaughter of Dave Canterbury. Dave just happens to be one of my favorite bush craft instructors.

But the video was cute and I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Monastic Order of Knights

More
10 years 4 months ago #126815 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
What's the best way to carry a bow? That is, when you're not carrying it in your hand. It's a compound bow with a removable quiver like this:

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126846 by
Excelent. Just really really excelent! I want that girl on my team. Imaging the skills she will have when she grows up. I can't my Scouts to be as a proficent at fire starting as she.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #126869 by
I'd like to weigh in on the "blister" topic.

I used to teach the BSA Hiking merit badge. Long before REI was carrying them, I would teach the boys to steal a pair of their sisters "toe socks" as a layer between their shoes, wool socks, and feet. They are usually made of a material that makes a nice base layer. The second sock over the toe socks (usually wool) with the hiking shoe following up reduces blisters to almost non-existent. Since doing this method, I have never had a blister during a long hike.

The idea here is that blisters are cause by the rubbing and heat generation of your foot against the sock. Proper shoe size, tieing method, and other factors all contribute to the rubbing and heat generation. Whether it is between your toes, the ball of your foot, or at your heel, the rubbing and heat are cause by your shoe "grabbing" the sock and using it as sandpaper against your foot.

The blisters between your toes are also caused by rubbing and heat due to the two toes rubbing each other. The toe socks separate them and reduce rubbing and heat generation.

By adding the toe socks, you place 2 layers of material between each part of your foot and the shoe. The rubbing is absorbed by the two socks and the heat is reduced or removed all together.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126870 by
I have one more hiking and foot care tip.

If you are going to be hiking in the cold and snow, the boots you wear are very important. So after you buy a good insulated or lined boot, follow this method...

The first layer is the toe socks I mentioned before
the second layer is a plastic baggie
the third layer is your wool socks
then put on your boots.

I used this method when I was in the Sheet metal business working on new housing in the winter. 8 hours of being in cold damp unheated basements took its toll. This method was developed years ago but was originally taught using aluminum foil instead of plastic baggies. Another reason to thank the plastics industry. :-)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126873 by
Bow Sling

Attachment h3eaa17f.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
10 years 4 months ago #128646 by Wescli Wardest
I would love to have been able to spend a year with this gentleman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERbQwrtit4

Monastic Order of Knights

More
10 years 4 months ago #128664 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
Yeah that guy, Dick Proenneke, made an excellent documentary on pioneering in Alaska. I learned more from an hour watching his show than in 40 years of living, haha.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 3 months ago #132052 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...

Deprecated: htmlspecialchars(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /var/www/html/libraries/kunena/External/Nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 1435
I stumbled on this in G+....

He has quite a few cool videos....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi