Replied by on topic Jedi do not smoke.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251117 by
The real problem I have is that withdrawal raises anxiety/depression levels and I have a bit of a problem with them on their own.

However, without smoking, these levels will eventually drop lower then they were with smoking - because smoking works this way. First it takes away 1/3 of your calm and 1/3 of your optimism, then it returns some - not all - to make you smoke another cigarette.

Nicotine behaves like a parasite. It hijacks life processes of a victim (seemingly) by accident. Then, it establishes a feedback loop inside it's host (nicotine activates certain brain receptors) to keep itself alive. The only way to counteract, then, is to uproot the weed altogether.

That's why I used "cold turkey" method, as you call it (I have no idea why you're calling it so, BTW :)). "Gradual decrease" method seems like more withdrawal to me.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251119 by
Cold Turkey
A faster but unpleasant method of stopping an addictive habit, such as drugs or alcohol. It means that you just totally, completely stop, and never do it again (or at least try to).

Going cold turkey is opposed to stopping it by gradually doing it less and less, or stopping it with help like special gum or medicine. You don't get any help; you just stop.
Lydia tried to smoke only one cigarette a week, but she ended up going back to her old habits. She decided to try out going cold turkey.

"Cold turkey" is a term describing the actions of a person who gives up his habit or addiction at a single moment, rather than through gradually easing the process through tapering off or supplemental medication. The term allegedly derives from the comparison of a cold turkey carcass and the state of a withdrawing addict -- most notably, the cold sweats and gooseflesh. It is often preceded by the word 'going', as 'going cold turkey'."--Wikipedia

:) Cold turkey used to be used for hard drugs addiction and the withdrawl symptoms made one feel extremely cold and klammy like ....cold turkey :lol:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251191 by
Almost 12. You're all asking yourself a question - how long is this topic gonna continue? Answer: 10 more days. 21 day is my personal estimate of withdrawal length.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251240 by

den385 wrote: Almost 12. You're all asking yourself a question - how long is this topic gonna continue? Answer: 10 more days. 21 day is my personal estimate of withdrawal length.

It's informative and provocative. I'd like to see more like this.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251245 by
Alright Den, time for the ritual you told me about. I'm sure Obi~Wan didn't have nicotine in his pipe and there are better ways to die then sucking for my last breath in a v.a. hospital. "Do or do not.there is no try"

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251251 by
(bros, Sven is talking about quitting smoking!)

I'm really glad for you, Sven, as I said! May the Force be with you in this Quest!

I hope that this thread, which gave me so much support, shall serve youwell, too B)

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251287 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Jedi do not smoke.
just stopping by to express my support, good work den! and good luck Sven!

(and gradual decrease never ever ever worked for me when i tried it - i had to just STOP

but for me i actually moved to another state and left my old life behind, so cigarettes were just one of many big lifestyle changes that i made

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251288 by
Been reading this thread for a few days, just wanna wish Den and Sven all the best! I know you guys can do it, keep it up!! :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251299 by
For Sven and Den then...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi